*LC-M vs. Nederland/LC-M WINS 63-59/COMMENTS*

Bears nab must-win against Nederland

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Facing a must-win situation, the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears played with tremendous will and determination at The Bear Cave Tuesday night against the Nederland Bulldogs.

The Bears dominated the boards, played tight defense and made all the key plays when they needed them as they went on to post a vital 63-59 District 22-4A victory.

The Bears (18-10, 4-6) gained control of the battle with a 16-6 run in the second quarter and withstood several late runs by the Bulldogs (15-13, 5-5) to hang on for the win.

LC-M finds itself just one game back of Nederland, Vidor (9-13, 5-5), and Dayton, which are all tied for third. Vidor was stunned by Port Neches-Groves 77-59 Tuesday. The Dayton Broncos (8-12, 5-5) also are in the mix after they stunned second-place Beaumont Central (17-10, 8-2) 71-64.

“Many people thought we were down and out, but we’re far from it,†said LC-M coach Darin Harley. We have some terrific seniors on this team and they’re not going to go down without a fight. They showed such tremendous energy all night long. They needed to take care of business tonight and they did just that. I’m so proud of them.â€

C.J. Champine had a superb overall outing for the Bears as he notched a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. He also got it done on the defensive end with five steals.

LC-M was balanced across the board with Champine getting plenty of help.

Dallas Bean contributed 13 points and nine rebounds. Kevin Cooper pumped in 14 points and grabbed seven boards while David Sicktich tallied 12 points and seven rebounds.

LC-M dominated the glass, outrebounding Nederland 38-25.

“The kids set the tone early with their all-out hustle,†said Harley. “The big key was the way they were able to control the boards. We got a lot of second chances.â€

The Bears led by as much as 51-39 with 5:05 left in the game but the Bulldogs wouldn’t go away, using the hot hand of sharpshooter Evan Fitch, who scored all 16 of his points, including hitting four three-pointers, in the fourth period. A Fitch trey got the Bulldogs to within 59-56 with less than 20 seconds remaining but Bean responded with a late bucket and a free throw to preserve the win.

Nederland hit three three-pointers to grab a 17-14 edge at the end of the first period. Champine and Cooper scored five points apiece to keep the Bears close. However, the Bears’ intensity rose up, especially on the defensive end in the second period.

Champine hit for five points in the quarter. Bean tallied four points and Justin Kinsley, who came off the bench to score seven points, hit a big trifecta and the Bears forced Nederland into six of their 14 turnovers to go up 30-23 at the half.

The Bears utilized the toughness of Sicktich down low to hold off the Bulldogs in the third. Sicktich bruised his way to eight of points in the quarter and also set the tone with tremendous defense.

“David Sicktich was a beast tonight,†said Harley. “We’ve been looking for that low post presence and he gave that to us tonight. Not only did he score some critical baskets and rebounded well, he was able to alter a lot of shots on the defensive end.â€

LC-M took the Bulldogs’ best shot in the final eight minutes. The Bears survived a rocky fourth period from the free-throw line as they went just 3-of-12 and finished just 9-of-21.

The Bears held Nederland’s leading scorer on the season Chris Hammond to only 14 points. Hammond did lead the Bulldogs with nine rebounds., Guard Francis Torres finished with 11 points while post Dionte Forney had five rebounds.

The Bears committed just 12 turnovers while Nederland went 9-of-11 from the free-throw line.

The Bears head to Lumberton Friday for another crucial tilt.

“It’s another must-win for us, heck, all of them are,†said Harley. “We’ve yet to win a district game on the road this season and it has to be on Friday night or we’ll be in trouble.â€

Guest whatdoIknow

Great game by the bears...hopefully this win will help my pirates who lost a disappointer last night.  no way the indians should of won that game. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• He's steadily improving rapidly. Not that your opinion matters much based on some of the wild projections you've made on this site 
    • Cohen……a lying, backstabbing pos who does nothing but lie every time he opens his mouth. Let him utter words the prosecution wants to hear, and we can convict. Cohen told his ex advisor that he wanted to kill himself. What a worldly loss that would be. Let anyone on this board be put through the wringer with false charges and lies like Trump has had to endure, and you would be screaming at the top of your lungs how illegal all of this is.
    • It was and remains perfectly timed and choregraphed Kangaroo Court, whatever Cohen just said or lied about.  Face it, under Soros installed Biden and Merrick Garland, the USA is now officially a Bananna Republic with a Goverment that weaponizes itself against and destroys its political rivals. Putin and Xi are SO proud!  Dang I miss Democracy.       
    • I haven’t been watching closely, but even the liberal sources even tell the story as “the defense really took apart Cohen’s testimony on Thursday.” It sounds like sloppy work from the prosecution to point out a specific call as being “the one,” when it was easily concluded that this particular call could not have occurred the way that Cohen (and the prosecution) claim it to have happened.    The bad news is that I doubt that it matters much-I suspect that most jurors minds were closed before testimony started.   I don’t see Trump leaving with anything less than a conviction based on the venue (NYC).
    • Tough case all the way around.  The guy had a lot of online activity come out where he made racist statements and statements about killing BLM protesters and looters.  So when he then goes out and does it, it looks really bad.  I've seen a lot of videos where people have driven through protestors, defended themselves against them, etc., and didn't bat an eye.  This feels different, but that doesn't necessarily make it murder, either.  His account of the events that happened vs. the witness accounts were both very different, but I'd also expect both sides' accounts to be self-serving and inaccurate to fit their narrative.  Not really sure what to think on this one.  
  • Topics