J'Covan Article From Austin

I am interested in some feedback from you local guys who know more about this situation than I do.  I didn't know about the academic problems.  Anyone know what this means specifically?  Is it the SATs or just his grades?  Any comment about his relationship  with his coach?  Judging by the way this article is written, this kid might be playing JUCO somewhere before he steps on the court in Austin. 

Guest tigersvoice

For what it is worth, here is my prediction.  J'Covan Brown WILL NOT play a minute of varsity basketball at The University of Texas.  Admittedly, he is an immensely talented ball player, but he appears (until demonstrated to the contrary) to be an immense attitude problem / head case as well.  Rather than appreciate what he had (great ability, a college education given to him) he took the low road in high school and said it would his way or he would not play.  Well, he did not play.  I doubt that he ever gets on the UT campus with a basketball scholarship in his hand.

Great post Tiger, I agree and what is sad is the opportunity that this kid might have lost.  I say kudos to the coach for sticking to his guns.  After the Dallas incident with ineligible player it is good to see a coach have some backbone.  D1 does not happen everyday and he will one day regret his actions.

I'm with ya'll on some points... i'm glad that the coach has done what he needed to do.  Mr. Brown now can do one of two things... he can continue making the types of decisions that has gotten him in trouble so far, or he can learn from his mistakes and move on.  The coach has given him a tremendous lesson.  J'covan isn't getting a slap on the wrist this time.  Hopefully a punch to the gut will help him realize that every action has a consequence.  If he can understand that (and if he can get his grades up), i don't see any reason why he won't go on to the next level.  His type of talent doesn't come along too often.  If he can learn that no single man is greater than the team, he'll be a valuable asset for whatever basketball program he ends up at. 

Great post Tigervoice.  I agree, he will never play one minute for the Longhorns.  He doesn't have what it takes (and I'm not talking about talent).  Rick Barnes will not stand for his arrogant attitude.  I had heard through the grapevine that Texas had resended their offer?  Anyone else heard this????  Hats off to his coach for taking action.  Talent isn't everything.......!!

Acedemic issues was the reason he left Kelly!!!  But the kid has the ability from what I have been told...  But for some reason he thinks he doesn't have to work for it, in his eyes it is owed to him.  "Teachers can't fail me, I'm J-Brown!!!"  sad! :'(

I was in Kelly's gym last Fall and the rumor I heard was that his attitude was the cause of his demise there. Let me say this. I wIll not have an attitude problem from my kids as long as they live with me. Enough said!

This kid will probably always have some kind of attitude problem.  Let's face it, if he goes JUCO he will feel like he shouldn't be there and that he is above that level of play.  He will probably always think he should be pro material and that school is just a stepping stone.  This has the makings of one of those documentaires like "Hoops" a few years back.  He will be making a name for himself on the play grounds or on the courts of the CBA. 

Well, obviously it's probably best that it happens now and maybe he will wake up one day to see life is what you make of it.  I would hate to see him as a spoiled superstar gone bad. There is an Independent Film called "Hooked?" Former NBA stars grew up with this kid in California who could jump/dunk over 6 cars in the playground. Hook didn't listen and ended up in prison. He became a prison playground legend. :'(

Guest DickVitale

Guys, just wish for the BEST and stop predicting DOOM for the kid! Yes he has a well documented past, but he is STILL a kid...He has time to turn the ship around, if given a chance.  It is my hope that all of this is a learning opportunity for him, because sometimes bought lessons like these are the best ones.  This HAS to be hard on him.  Can you imagine what is going on in his mind every day he is at school? YES he should have been held accountable for his actions, but lets give him a chance to STILL succeed. Is that not what life is all about?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin