Spurger defeats West Hardin 69 - 65

Guest orangeman

Guest orangeman

Spurger defeated WH in a game with playoff implications on the line. WH took a 1 point lead into the half, and a 10 point lead into the 4th. The Pirats rallied in the 4th as the Oilers failed to convert on multiple trips to the free throw line. The Oilers were 20 of 42 from the free throw line for the game. Tyler Copeland led the Oilers with 40 points. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game.

First things first,Tyler Copeland is the real deal.I like watching this kid play ball.

exciting game to watch if the three misfits in stripes was not there.These guys gave the oilers all the chances in the world to win this game.I don't remember if they played at WH or at there on place last but I hope BS and HD don't have a meaningful game(like this one) at WH and have the possibility of these three impostures trying to call a game as big as that.Now back to the teams, WH did come out shooting lights out early and P.Whittaker did foul out with 6:30 left in the 4th.I am proud of the Spurger boys, they kept fighting and never let the refs get in there heads.G. Whittaker step up big when big brother fouled out.I think he ended up with 14 points.Every body on this club chiped in for this win.And how spurgers coaches stay on the bench the whole game is a feat in its self.Lesser men would have lost there cool and got tossed.Congrats Spurger ;D ;D ;D ;D   

i wus at the wh spurger game refs were ok. let the kids decide the game not the fans. basketball is supposed 2 be a non-contact sport there wus a reason wh shot 42 free throws how many did spurger shoot? it wus a hard fought game between the 2 teams both coaches had a great strategy for there strengths and weaknesses good luck pirates!

i wus at the wh spurger game refs were ok. let the kids decide the game not the fans. basketball is supposed 2 be a non-contact sport there wus a reason wh shot 42 free throws how many did spurger shoot? it wus a hard fought game between the 2 teams both coaches had a great strategy for there strengths and weaknesses good luck pirates!

Apparently you weren't @ the same game that I was, 42 attempts to 20 attempts.  It's hard for any team to walk out with a win, when the game has already been decided by the refs.  If the Spurger boys would have, for once, got down on their self, it would have been a different ending to this game.  They didn't, and I proud of them.  YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME, YOU AREN'T A FAN OF THESE BOYS!!!!  FANs SUPPORT TEAMS, AND U SURELY ARE NOT SUPPORTING THEM BY SAYING THE REFS WERE O.K.

MAYBE YOU JUST NEED TO STAY HOME FOR THE REST OF THE GAMES, CAUSE U SURE DON'T KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT!!!!

If refs called all the fouls in a game today we would be at a game for 3 hours.

Look folks whats happening to basketball is it is a contact sport. The UIL, Refs, and too many football coaches coaching basketball has changed the sport for the worst. You will just have to live with the non calls in basketball until the UIL gets more games like the Silsbee/WOS game to wake them up and tell officials to start calling the game the way it is supposed to be called.

Three refs have made the game worse and its a waste of money because now you have three out there not calling anything.

You can go to any boys or girls game in this area and see the same thing.

Pushing, slapping, over the back, reach in used to be fouls. Now you almost have to be sent to ER to get a foul. Officiating and the UIL are ruining basketball.  Just my opinion and I love the game. >:(

Guest orangeman

Let me throw one more thought out there that is actually court-related. I'll preface this by saying that I obviously was not at the WH/Spurger game. Just looking at the final number free throw attempts for each team does not necessarily give you an accurate picture of the quality, or fairness, of the officiating for that particular game. A team's game plan, as well as the players execution of that game plan can be an even greater factor. For example... when we (WH) beat Big Sandy at home last year to force the tie-breaker game, we shot a considerable amount of free throws more than Big Sandy did. A few BS fans (not all) were on this message board making the same complaints about the officiating and free throw discrepency between the two teams. But what they failed to take into account was that Big Sandy settled for shooting 15 - 20 foot jumpers the entire game, and they rarely attacked the basket, while we (WH) attacked the rim the entire game. I would say that 75 % of our shot attempts in that game were while being aggressive TO THE BASKET! By being that aggressive offensively, you will ultimately draw more fouls, and in turn, shoot more free throws. Like I said earlier, I wasn't at the game, but you have to take things like this into account. Any coach or knowledgable fan/player will agree.

Let me throw one more thought out there that is actually court-related. I'll preface this by saying that I obviously was not at the WH/Spurger game. Just looking at the final number free throw attempts for each team does not necessarily give you an accurate picture of the quality, or fairness, of the officiating for that particular game. A team's game plan, as well as the players execution of that game plan can be an even greater factor. For example... when we (WH) beat Big Sandy at home last year to force the tie-breaker game, we shot a considerable amount of free throws more than Big Sandy did. A few BS fans (not all) were on this message board making the same complaints about the officiating and free throw discrepency between the two teams. But what they failed to take into account was that Big Sandy settled for shooting 15 - 20 foot jumpers the entire game, and they rarely attacked the basket, while we (WH) attacked the rim the entire game. I would say that 75 % of our shot attempts in that game were while being aggressive TO THE BASKET! By being that aggressive offensively, you will ultimately draw more fouls, and in turn, shoot more free throws. Like I said earlier, I wasn't at the game, but you have to take things like this into account. Any coach or knowledgable fan/player will agree.

I pride myself in knowing a thing or two about basketball and I was at this game. If the 42 attempts to 20 attempts would have came from attacking the rim and forcing spurger to foul I could live with that.Lets face it tyler is the only kid on this team that is capable of attacking the rim and imo he only does that about 25% of the time.The other 75% his shooting three's. As for as settling for jumpers spurger took there share but they also was more aggressive to the basket than Wh,just wouldn't get the calls. I as a fan can even put up with no calls from time to time,but the phantom calls some of the boys where getting was the back breaker.And I know people are going to say (phantom) it must be calls he just didn't agree with. I mean calling fouls on kids that was not within 3 to 4 feet of ballhandler. This was not just once or twice but several times. My wife tapes the games and when I watch it later that night I saw red all over again. Enough said on this game. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I think spurgerfan09 & nasty need to watch a game or two with ok refs before they talk. These three in the stripes would get run out of most little dribblers games for calling that bad. So lets give it up to the head of what ever chapter they are from for putting these clowns on the same floor at the same time during a district ball game!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

all you big trash talkers behind those keyboards have you ever actually played/ attempted to play other than on your xboxes at home?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Who's talking trash now? Just keep it cool lil' man, I promise everything's gonna be alright.  ;D    BTW, you might wanna think about changing your screen name, so no one automatically labels you as someone that doesn't know what he's talking about.....just trying to help ya lil' man.

Well, I guess I'll make everyone mad, but remember, the views of this poster do not reflect...anyway.

In my opinion, Copeland is in the running for the district MVP.  Heck, I give him the edge right now as the man to beat.  But having said that, I also believe the 1A refs know who he is as well, and you can't guard the man as close as you can others.  I've personally seen it three times this year.  One game in particular, he went to the line more times than the opposing team.  Don't misunderstand me, he can flat-out play basketball, but if the fouls were 42-20 in this game, which I can't find that number for sure in this thread, that's a little lop-sided.

Don't be hating WH.  I pull for you guys all the time, especially when ya'll play HD, just killing time like t he rest of ya.  Sounds like it was a dang good game!!

the reason he gets fouled so much and everyone that has seen him knows its becuase he is so much of a matchup problem for other 1A guards i mean he's 6"3 and weighs about 185 pounds. most guards on the 1a level dont know how to guard someone that is that much bigger than them. and think about it teams know he is all WH has so they try to get the ball out of his hand as quickly as possible and that results in a lot of fouls. plus he has the ball 80% of the time so the chances of him going to the line is much improved. im not taking up for the refs cause i know they all blow calls but dont say that the refs favor him because they know who he is or say that is the only reason he scores so much 

CHANGE UR SCREEN NAME & stay home for this friday's game, ur not a supporter!!!

the reason he gets fouled so much and everyone that has seen him knows its becuase he is so much of a matchup problem for other 1A guards i mean he's 6"3 and weighs about 185 pounds. most guards on the 1a level dont know how to guard someone that is that much bigger than them. and think about it teams know he is all WH has so they try to get the ball out of his hand as quickly as possible and that results in a lot of fouls. plus he has the ball 80% of the time so the chances of him going to the line is much improved. im not taking up for the refs cause i know they all blow calls but dont say that the refs favor him because they know who he is or say that is the only reason he scores so much 

I agree with the match up problem for some 1A guards but not all guards.He also creates alot of fouls but not 42 attempts. I also think the 1A refs do favor him in games.(Not Tyler's fault just the refs) I have not seen on this thread or any other where I have said that is the reason Tyler scores so much.Any body that has ever watched this young man play ball knows that he is just that good. And Spurger also held him to 12 points untill the 4th at Spurger,Then he scored another 12 points in about a 2min span. ;D ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86