Perkins Has Career Day!! 24 Points

:) yeah i know i watched the game on NBATV today he straight up torched the knicks in the first half with like twenty points but i noticed that in the 2nd half Doc Rivers wanted Pierce and Allen too take more shots from the outside... but anyways i am proud of Perkins keep making SETX look good ;D

Guest DickVitale

He did a great job of catching and finishing yesterday! Did you notice that unlike a lot of NBA post players he did not HAVE to dunk to finish? Fundamentals are sound...HS coaches must have done a solid teaching job with that kid.... ;) ;D

Guest DickVitale

Haters WILL hate if I have learned nothing else....You saw him dunking on the highlights on the news, whereas I saw him night in and night out and during practice..Perk was taught and it was emphasized that he did not HAVE to dunk to finish EVERY time (i.e Tim Duncan, whom he idolized in high school, NOT Shaq as everyone thought).  Come on Soulja, not you TOO!! Say it aint so, man!!  ::)

Guest DickVitale

Georgetown's Roy Hibbert shoots a "sweeping" hook shot (i.e. Kareem Abdul Jabbar) Perk shot a "jump" hook, WHICH HE WAS TAUGHT IN HIGH SCHOOL...big difference..Now people want to say that what he was taught at Ozen had NOTHING to do with how he is doing now? Yes he has grown tremendously as a pro, which was expected, but do not act as if the foundation was NEVER there..If you guys would have seen him when he came to us out of Odom, you REALLY would not be thinking that.  ;)

I wish I would have seen him at Odem.  Only caught him at Ozen. He appeared to be a man among boys in HS.  Bigger than everybody else.  IMO, Keena Young was more polished that Perk.  Perk had the size, therefore jumped to the NBA.  Don't look at this as a Perk diss because it's not.  But this is how I feel. 

DickeyV do you need someone to pat you on the back for "grooming" Perkin's for the NBA?  Where has "grooming" him got you to today?

Yes the kid has done great....I for one thought he should have gone to college for a couple of years but it looks as though he proved me wrong and made the right decision for him and his family.  I am very happy for him!!!!

I would think that he has improved becuase of the NBA coaching from Rivers and Co. other than from Boutte and Co.

He has matured and grown into a very good NBA center, but not solely because of you and Boutte!!!

Good post Lazeek, my sentiments exactly.

Dick has always wanted to toot his own horn ( and Boutte's too, I won't go there ;)) every chance he can.

When you are as big and strong with some good athletic abilty as Perk had in high school, it doesn't take much coaching for him to dominate at that level. Night in and night out he faced '6"2 to '6"5 players that a player with his size could handle with ease. When he finally played players close to his size( Dallas Lincoln, Ft. Worth Dunbar) he did not dominate. Where was the coaching then?

I am happy for Perk, he really has busted his tail the last couple of years and it seems to be paying off. Of course it doesn't hurt to have Pierce, Allen, and Garnett on your team.

Guest DickVitale

Well according to you people in SE Texas he came out of the womb READY for the NBA!! Of course we know that this is not true, but you people think that size equates to an NBA deal...Also NOT true..I don't want or NEED anything from anyone particularly you people on here. I know the work that was put in with that kid, and I do not expect you guys to understand...I am PROUD of what he has accomplished and you guys on here can ACT like you are too, but I read the posts on here about him being "back in Beaumont" when his contract was up...Remember that? I didn't think you would.

Well according to you people in SE Texas he came out of the womb READY for the NBA!! Of course we know that this is not true, but you people think that size equates to an NBA deal...Also NOT true..I don't want or NEED anything from anyone particularly you people on here. I know the work that was put in with that kid, and I do not expect you guys to understand...I am PROUD of what he has accomplished and you guys on here can ACT like you are too, but I read the posts on here about him being "back in Beaumont" when his contract was up...Remember that? I didn't think you would.

That's fine, be proud. But in your original post you weren't talking how proud you were of Perk, you were praising the " coaching " he got in high school.

Like I said, keep tooting that horn, that's what you do best.

Guest DickVitale

If you notice the big GRIN  ;D  after that first post it would indicate I was only KIDDING!! Check it out....see it?? There you go.  Geez... ::)..

He did a great job of catching and finishing yesterday! Did you notice that unlike a lot of NBA post players he did not HAVE to dunk to finish? Fundamentals are sound...HS coaches must have done a solid teaching job with that kid.... ;) ;D

Here's your first post. That's not a big GRIN, that's the WINK. Geez, ::)

I get your drift.

Of course, now you modify that post later.

Isn't do overs great?

What do you mean "ACT"?

I am proud of what he has done and he has done good for SE Texas.....he looks more appealing than Stephen Jackson as a role model!!!!!!

I will be cheering for him and the Celts on March 18th at the Toyota Center.  I am a Suns fan so I always pull for whoever is playing the Rockets!!! ;D

Guest DickVitale

Hey, that's good, but when I say "ACT", I am talking about certain people on here that used to make negative comments on here about Kendrick, and his decision to go pro, about him averaging 4.4 pts per game, when he was just learning the pro game, and STILL getting playing time.  Those people KNOW who they are. Last season he became a starter and people were STILL criticizing him.  Now, everyone is so "proud" of him...That's what I was talking about. 

Perkins' size got him into the NBA, not Ozen's coaching prowess.  There's no doubt that they did a good job with him while he was there, but as for implying that ya'll groomed him for the NBA, that's laughable, whether you're joking or otherwise.  Had he gone to any other competitive 4A high school in the state, I'm quite sure he would've been taken in the same area of the draft due to his size and ability.  No matter how you feel about this, you can't deny that it's taken several seasons of NBA coaching, and a team stacked with all stars for him to become a real factor for the Celtics.  All that said, I'm impressed with how far he's come, and proud to see a kid from Beaumont make it big.

Guest DickVitale

There are 6-11 guys all over the NBA!! Size did not get him there...The NBA scouts were drooling because of his UPSIDE due to his HIGH SKILL LEVEL..HIS FOOTWORK....HIS OFFENSIVE SKILLS AROUND THE BASKET...All of these things were his UPSIDE according to NBA scouts when he came out.  I WAS only kidding, BUT, I can say that he did NOT come to us NBA ready...So what does that mean? He went STRAIGHT FROM HIGH SCHOOL, so to say he was not NBA ready from Fannett Rd., is "laughable" as you say...Now, the Celtic staff has done a tremendous job of building upon the tools that he possessed and deserve credit as well..But it all began on FANNETT RD. in BEAUMONT, TEXAS..Perk also worked his tail off to get better...Don't get it confused, please... ;)

to me NBA ready does not mean getting mop-up minutes the first two years of your career.  it's going in, starting, getting solid minutes and making solid contributions.  are you saying that when he left high school that's what he did?  there are 6-9 players all over the NBA, but not that weigh 280 pounds that have his natural athletic ability.  he's having a breakout year, but his numbers are still not huge.  he's been in the league for how long now?  for his career he's averaging less than 5 points and 5 rebounds a game.  and he left ya'll NBA ready?  He's now becoming NBA ready, and he's still a ways away from achieving what he's capable of.  If ya'll made him so great, as you're implying, why, after all of this time, is he just now starting to perform at the NBA level.  I don't care what you say or think, he could've found his way to the NBA through a lot of routes that didn't involve Ozen HS.  And i would assume when he came to ya'll, he wasn't NBA ready, being a freshman in high school and whatnot. 

and i'm not criticizing Perkins or his stats in my previous post.  I've never said a negative thing about him on this site, and i don't really feel like anything i just stated was anything more than the common facts.  those stats were merely a response to your statement that he left ya'll ready to play in the NBA.  Dicky, you're right to a point, though.  It did start at Ozen, and there's no doubt that ya'll helped him start to become the player that he is today.  I just don't want you to kid yourself about how big of a role ya'll actually played.  i think much of what he got at Ozen he could've gotten at a lot of schools.  It's clear to me through his progression over the past few years that his NBA coaches and his own work ethic have been much more crucial to his developement.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86