Kelly K Carona commits to Tech

Guest Techsan

Guest Techsan
Tech adds kicker to list of commitments
by don williams | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
- publication data - Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Updated: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:43 a.m.

Donnie Carona didn't have much time to decide on a college football career at Texas Tech. But having the chance to play Big 12 Conference football on a scholarship can help a guy make up his mind.

Carona, a kicker from Beaumont Kelly, made an oral commitment on Tuesday to Tech, which didn't start recruiting him until December. But Carona said he enjoyed his campus visit so much that he had little hesitation about his decision.

"I liked every aspect of it - the football program, the academics, the coaches, the facilities. Everything about it was unbelievable,'' Carona said.

Tech had three players visit over the weekend and went three-for-three in landing commitments. On Monday, the Red Raiders secured a pledge from Lawton (Okla.) quarterback Cornelius Douglas (5-10, 195), who they will convert to inside receiver. On Tuesday, they received commitments from Carona and from offensive tackle Joe King (6-7, 310) from Oklahoma City's Putnam City North High School.

Carona, who's 6-foot and 215 pounds, rushed for 792 yards and scored nine touchdowns this season. He was selected a TAPPS Division I first-team all-state running back, but his running back days are over.

Tech is seeking a replacement for kicker Alex Trlica, who was a senior in 2007. Punter Jonathan LaCour was Trlica's backup, though the Raiders never had to call on him for placement kicks. If the Raiders can develop a kicker, they can let LaCour concentrate on punting.

"I'll go compete for the job next year for field goals and kickoffs,'' said Carona, who kicks left-footed.

Carona made 11-of-13 field goals over the last two years. He was seven of eight during his junior season with a long of 48 yards, and was four of five as a senior with successful kicks from 47 and 48 yards.

Carona said Tech began recruiting him last month when Red Raiders staffer Dennis Simmons spotted him at a camp in Houston.

"The best thing I did that day was my kickoffs,'' Carona said. "All my kickoffs were 70 to 78 yards. That's really what caught his eye was my strong leg. I also did good on field goals. I sent him my tape, he watched that, and since then he's seemed very interested.''

Carona was offered a scholarship during a campus visit Saturday and Sunday.

"This past weekend really did it,'' Carona said. "I love watching Big 12 football, so I had kept an eye on them. Everyone knows about their amazing offense. After they started contacting me, then I really became interested in their school. On the visit, I got to see everything they had at hand for me, and that's really what did it.''

Carona said he also was offered scholarships by Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Air Force, Nicholls State and Stephen F. Austin.

Guest Techsan

He has some big shoes to fill behind Alex Trilica, Trilica holds the school record for most points and the NCAA record for consecutive PATs made. I'm glad Leach is recruiting SE Texas more, its good to see talent from the region make its way out here to West Texas.

Guest Techsan

Donnie's a fantastic athlete... are they going to give him a chance to play anywhere else on the field as well?

I'm not sure but I would doubt it though, I'm sure he'll be busy enough with Kicking drills. Leach has said several times that he feels that the kicker sets the tone for the defense so I'm sure they'll have him focusing on putting the ball in the back of the endzone all summer. He will definitely get a shot at the starting position as well so its a good deal for him all around.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin