Lumberton Girls Basketball

ukfan27

What has happened to the varsity girls basketball program in Lumberton? I would really like to read what everybody thinks about this situation. They are struggling just to make the playoffs. Their record is pretty bad even though they have the talent out there. Any comments people????

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they did, but they didnt do everything by themselves. They were really good players in high school, but they ride the pine on the college level. Lumberton has always had great girls basketball teams on all levels. That is not the case this year. They do have talent, but I guess it is just not their year.

[quote name="Bobcat1" post="316764" timestamp="1200554327"]
I know Central is doing very well this year and even Ozen.  Who is still in it for 3rd?
[/quote]

Central and Ozen are miles ahead of the rest of the district this year.  Lumberton is probably still in the best position for the 3rd playoff spot.

Lumberton lost two all-state performer.  These two were great high school players and I'm sure they will get their shot at playing time at the next level in due time.  They were great players, but just as important, they were leaders of their team.  When I saw Lumberton play this year (even though they won handily), they were missing the swagger of the past few years.  They didn't seem to have anyone that was noticably a leader on the floor.  [b]BUT[/b], that was just one game that I saw.
I wouldn't worry too much about Lumberton...I've seen their junior high play and they are extremely talented.

It's called a cycle of talent!!!  Don't worry, Coach Wilson is a great coach and he will get them back in contention.  Sometimes you just have to weather the storm.  It is never easy to rebuild after losing an all state player, must less two!!  Those two were two VERY important pieces to the puzzle.  Like I said, Coach Wilson and the Laady Raiders will be fine.

Geeze you can't stay on top of the District forever ! Lumberton will be just fine. You can't lose 2 All-State players and expect to win the District again the following year. Although Courtney and Chelsie may not have done it alone, I think if you look at the stats, they were probably the top 2 in every category. Not to mention (like Slam said) they were the true leaders of the team for years ! Its hard for a team to replace girls that led them for several years. Lumberton will compete for a play-off spot this year and after this GROWING season, they will compete for the District Title again. With Coach Wilson prowling the sidelines, they will always be a tough contest and be one of the better teams in the area. I don't think having one normal season is a reason to go into panic mode !

Crush.........Who is panicing? Honestly, when it comes to their coach, I heard he is actually leaving. Guess he wont be "prowling" the sidelines after all. I have heard that there has been a lack of love from the staff this year, too. Did you read the comments he said about the team after the WB game? It made a lot of people question his and their future the next year or so. "I" know that the program will be fine in the future, because "I" know who is coming up. By the way, about the two all-staters leading in every stat category.........if you ever went to a game, you would have noticed that they never really came out of the game, unless they were up by 30+ points with less than a minute to go. I once asked a parent why this was so and the parent told me it was to keep their (the two all-staters) stats up for college. The irony in this was that the last game that the two of them played together, foul trouble killed them and left them on the floor away from each other for over ten minutes!! This left other players having to pick up slack in a playoff game with limited "game" experience due to the high minutes that were given to the all-staters to get their stats up.

Guest bleed orange

No team wins every year. There is going to be down years. Lumberton will never be down long because they have a solid Little Dribber program. As far as the comment about the "All Staters" both of those girls were exceptional basketball players. They did not need stats to see that. Both played AAU until they graduated. I believe they earned those stats. Also if the coach does not come to lumberton and bring his daughter Lumberton would have never gone to the state tournament. She was the one ingredients Lumberton was missing.

Crush.........Who is panicing? Honestly, when it comes to their coach, I heard he is actually leaving. Guess he wont be "prowling" the sidelines after all. I have heard that there has been a lack of love from the staff this year, too. Did you read the comments he said about the team after the WB game? It made a lot of people question his and their future the next year or so. "I" know that the program will be fine in the future, because "I" know who is coming up. By the way, about the two all-staters leading in every stat category.........if you ever went to a game, you would have noticed that they never really came out of the game, unless they were up by 30+ points with less than a minute to go. I once asked a parent why this was so and the parent told me it was to keep their (the two all-staters) stats up for college. The irony in this was that the last game that the two of them played together, foul trouble killed them and left them on the floor away from each other for over ten minutes!! This left other players having to pick up slack in a playoff game with limited "game" experience due to the high minutes that were given to the all-staters to get their stats up.

Crushcoach is a pretty bright guy and I know he can speak for himself, but if you ask me, I think he's found the one that's hitting the panic button.

I'm not an L-town (I can't believe I used that) citizen or Raider supporter, but I have seen them play several time a year for the past few years.  In the games that I saw, Chelsey and Courtney didn't pad stats...in fact, I thought they played just the opposite.  In the games I saw I got the feeling that Chelsey could have scored whatever she wanted to in the games, but instead ran the offense, distributed the ball, and got the rest of the team involved in the game.  I think she was the truest court leader I've seen in a long time. The group at Lumberton this year is still good and are a playoff contender, but it's hard to make up for the players lost to graduation last year.

Coach Wilson seems to be a very good coach and handles himself well.  I know it's easy to question coaching decisions...but I just don't understand it though when you have a program that's as good as Lumberton's.

Sometimes you just have to admit that others have worked hard and knocked the king (or queens) off the hill. Right now Central and Ozen are hands down better than everyone else in the district.

No team wins every year. There is going to be down years. Lumberton will never be down long because they have a solid Little Dribber program. As far as the comment about the "All Staters" both of those girls were exceptional basketball players. They did not need stats to see that. Both played AAU until they graduated. I believe they earned those stats. Also if the coach does not come to lumberton and bring his daughter Lumberton would have never gone to the state tournament. She was the one ingredients Lumberton was missing.

HJ, Kountze, Ozen........need I go on? Maybe not every year....., but close!

Of course they "earned" their stats, but there were too many times when they should not have been in the game. Seriously, up by over 30 points and they are still in the game? I watched many many many of their games so I do know what I am talking about. You are an O'Field fan so you usually watch them, right? I do agree with you that they needed Courtney, but I predicted when Pick was in 7th grade that when she was a junior, the varsity would make it past the third round. I felt this way because of the girls with Pick and in the grade above dominated everyone in the district (except Silsbee at that time). Courtney is a better team player and her "tallness" was needed.

parents are probably the leading "rumor starters". the reason they stayed in as much, is because we NEEDED them to win. and if you don't believe me, look at how were playing this year. were lacking a true leader. we have tons of talent, but no leader. and that is what we did. chelsea by no means was pading her stats, she distributed the ball very well! and the only reason she is riding the pine in college is because she JUST got over an injury that has kept her out all season. she just got over it like 2 weeks ago. and if u go to HBU's site, courtney wilson doesn't ride the pine there either. she gets a solid 10-15 minutes a game.

parents are probably the leading "rumor starters". the reason they stayed in as much, is because we NEEDED them to win. and if you don't believe me, look at how were playing this year. were lacking a true leader. we have tons of talent, but no leader. and that is what we did. chelsea by no means was pading her stats, she distributed the ball very well! and the only reason she is riding the pine in college is because she JUST got over an injury that has kept her out all season. she just got over it like 2 weeks ago. and if u go to HBU's site, courtney wilson doesn't ride the pine there either. she gets a solid 10-15 minutes a game.

ACTUALLY............It came straight from her father's mouth. No rumor there bud. I personally watched her almost get her eye scratched out in a game when they were winning by 25 points with two minutes to go. I asked her father why she was still even in the game. And as far as "distributing the ball very well", ask her teammates. Several of them complained "to me personally" that as good as she was, they wished that she would pass the ball more. Facts are facts. Anybody who "rides" is not a starter. Courtney and Pick are both really good. I never said they were not. Just wondering what people thought about the situation. PLEASE people........no more talk of the two great players that just graduated. We are talking about the NOW!!!! Please respond about this year, NOT THE PAST!

Lumberton was making the playoffs long before the two allstaters played together the past couple of years. And a lot of those girls went on to play college ball, too. I guess that last year's team is all people remember. This topic is much deeper than last year's team, but I guess the people who know more about it do not read this site. There is more going on behind lockerroom doors that is causing this poor season...............

Lumberton was making the playoffs long before the two allstaters played together the past couple of years. And a lot of those girls went on to play college ball, too. I guess that last year's team is all people remember. This topic is much deeper than last year's team, but I guess the people who know more about it do not read this site. There is more going on behind lockerroom doors that is causing this poor season...............

This is my first post on here, but i have been quietly following posts about Lumberton for about 3 years. Now seems like the right time to speak up. I couldn't agree more with coach27's suspicion about activity behind closed doors. I won't say my relation to the team, but I know for a fact that the girls are more dissapointed than anyone about this season. Yes, they are lacking a true leader on the court. More importantly though, they are lacking the kind of coach needed for this rebuilding year. The past two years courtney and chelsea made coach wilson look good, and this year, when his coaching skills were genuinely needed, he's come up short. He's failed to make needed adjustments in the crunch time of several games, and hasn't used the teams talent to its full potential.

It's no suprise that that this year was going to be harder (but not impossible) than years past, but that was obvious going into the season. Basically, the girls feel coach wilson gave up a long time ago, and are having a hard time giving their all for someone that doesn't believe in them or would rather be elsewhere. This has been a long and frustrating season for them.

It's crucial for the girls to decide to do this for themselves and stick together if they want success. They're definitely talented enough to pull out a rewarding season. 

This is my first post on here, but i have been quietly following posts about Lumberton for about 3 years. Now seems like the right time to speak up. I couldn't agree more with coach27's suspicion about activity behind closed doors. I won't say my relation to the team, but I know for a fact that the girls are more dissapointed than anyone about this season. Yes, they are lacking a true leader on the court. More importantly though, they are lacking the kind of coach needed for this rebuilding year. The past two years courtney and chelsea made coach wilson look good, and this year, when his coaching skills were genuinely needed, he's come up short. He's failed to make needed adjustments in the crunch time of several games, and hasn't used the teams talent to its full potential.

It's no suprise that that this year was going to be harder (but not impossible) than years past, but that was obvious going into the season. Basically, the girls feel coach wilson gave up a long time ago, and are having a hard time giving their all for someone that doesn't believe in them or would rather be elsewhere. This has been a long and frustrating season for them.

It's crucial for the girls to decide to do this for themselves and stick together if they want success. They're definitely talented enough to pull out a rewarding season.   

Here is my "thread" Bobcat05!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH LRFan!!! Your words are so true and you have made me smile! ;D ;D ;D ;D And to think, I was beginning to wonder if anyone knew the stuff I knew???? See, these are the things we need to be talking about, not the players of the past. Anybody else who REALLY knows Lumberton info wanna comment???

If you were waiting for someone to say it was the coaches fault Lumberton wasn't doing well, then you shouldn't have tried to beat around the bush and have someone else bring it up.  I personally think it might just be a rebuilding year for Lumberton. 

Your comments about how many minutes the top two girls got even in wins is probably because your kids were sitting on the bench. Just because your winning your top players should't have to go to the bench that would be wrong they earned their minutes. As far as this year, Central and Ozen are better but they have a chance to make the playoffs. Lumberton will be back because of their little dribblers program and it will be soon. This is Centrals year and they don't have anyone helping continue their program. Like WOS who had a great 3 year run with a few girls they are in for a long wait for the next group. HJ, Koutze, HF, Orangefeild and lumberton will always be contenders because of their little dribblers programs. One lower than expected year doesn't spell doom. Lumberton will be leaders in their didtrict soon and for a long time.

Your comments about how many minutes the top two girls got even in wins is probably because your kids were sitting on the bench. Just because your winning your top players should't have to go to the bench that would be wrong they earned their minutes. As far as this year, Central and Ozen are better but they have a chance to make the playoffs. Lumberton will be back because of their little dribblers program and it will be soon. This is Centrals year and they don't have anyone helping continue their program. Like WOS who had a great 3 year run with a few girls they are in for a long wait for the next group. HJ, Koutze, HF, Orangefeild and lumberton will always be contenders because of their little dribblers programs. One lower than expected year doesn't spell doom. Lumberton will be leaders in their didtrict soon and for a long time.

I never said that they didn't deserve minutes. And by the way, My "kid" is in elementary school! I just know what is going on and I wanted to see if others did, too. Living in Lumberton, I have watched many Lumberton games during the past several years. I am sure that you are not from Lumberton or have barely seen them play because if you had, you would have more to say than the basic things you stated. I have coached basketball for over 8 years and it is just plain dumb to allow your stars to be in the game when you have such an enormous lead. Especially, when you have an opportunity to go to state. The possibilities of injuries as well as the limited "game time" experience for the bench riders. You should have seen the look on the girls' faces when they would go into the game. They were not comfortable at all. You shouldn't make comments about "coaching decisions" unless you are an actual coach. I doubt that you are.........keep dreaming cause it is a fun job!

If you were waiting for someone to say it was the coaches fault Lumberton wasn't doing well, then you shouldn't have tried to beat around the bush and have someone else bring it up.  I personally think it might just be a rebuilding year for Lumberton. 

I was just testing the waters and LRFan came through and spoke of the issues going on in L-Town.........Bobcats do not know what goes on in Raider country, but thanks for reading and commenting!

What has happened to the varsity girls basketball program in Lumberton? I would really like to read what everybody thinks about this situation. They are struggling just to make the playoffs. Their record is pretty bad even though they have the talent out there. Any comments people????

The above was the original post that started this thread. I could care less about what happened in years past. This years team has got to be tired of hearing about the two all staters of years past. I would like to comment on the 2007-2008 Lady Raiders team.

I think that LRFAN put it out there pretty honestly. I have seen almost every game this season, and there have been several games that were lost that should have been won. It has been painful to watch sometimes. And not to pile on the coach, but I think he would be the first to admit that he has not done a great job this year.  But the world is not ending,and the season is not over yet.  I have faith in those kids. They are a tough bunch, and I believe that they will get at least the 3rd playoff spot. They are playing much better now than earlier in the season.

And the Lady Raiders will have 3 starters back next year, including two solid post players, and a dang good shooting guard.    

Back to the original post- One big reason the girls basketball program is suffering is because some of the best girls basketball players to come thru the Little Dribblers, Jr High, and JV programs quit basketball and instead are playing soccer. The girls are not allowed to do both, so many choose soccer. I am sure that happens at all schools, but has not been happening at Lumberton that much til the last few years. There is strength in numbers, and the girls basketball numbers are falling the past few years.

Good luck Lady Raiders, your fans and parents believe in you. You have a chance to finish strong, you just gotta find the faith in yourselves.

I a newbie to this forum also.  I have to agree with LRFan.  The girls on the team need to come together, believe and themselves and they can make the playoffs.  Right now it looks like they're tied with Dayton for that 3rd place spot.  Hopefully the will make it happen!  With Barbers Hill All Tournament team player Sr. Janie Long, and YMBL All Tournament team Players Sr. Nicole Kemp and Jr. Hayley Miller, they have a strong core to work from.  Girls Keep your chins up and keep doing what you  have been working on since you started playing Little Dribblers.  Good Luck the rest of the season!

A long time fan

The above was the original post that started this thread. I could care less about what happened in years past. This years team has got to be tired of hearing about the two all staters of years past. I would like to comment on the 2007-2008 Lady Raiders team.

I think that LRFAN put it out there pretty honestly. I have seen almost every game this season, and there have been several games that were lost that should have been won. It has been painful to watch sometimes. And not to pile on the coach, but I think he would be the first to admit that he has not done a great job this year.  But the world is not ending,and the season is not over yet.  I have faith in those kids. They are a tough bunch, and I believe that they will get at least the 3rd playoff spot. They are playing much better now than earlier in the season.

And the Lady Raiders will have 3 starters back next year, including two solid post players, and a dang good shooting guard.    

Back to the original post- One big reason the girls basketball program is suffering is because some of the best girls basketball players to come thru the Little Dribblers, Jr High, and JV programs quit basketball and instead are playing soccer. The girls are not allowed to do both, so many choose soccer. I am sure that happens at all schools, but has not been happening at Lumberton that much til the last few years. There is strength in numbers, and the girls basketball numbers are falling the past few years.

Good luck Lady Raiders, your fans and parents believe in you. You have a chance to finish strong, you just gotta find the faith in yourselves.

The original post asked an opened ended question of "Any comments people?"  If you ask the question, don't be upset with replies.

I find it hard to believe the Lumberton faithful have adopted a "sky is falling" mentality.  The football board was full of the same thing from WOS "fans" wanting to behead the offensive coordinator after their playoff loss even though WOS hasn't lost a district game in years and have been deep into the playoff for many years too.  Fire the coach, it must be his fault. 

The 07-08 Lumberton girls basketball team is a very talented group of young ladies and is contending for another playoff spot this season, but talent wise they are falling out right where they should be.  Central and Ozen are just that much more talented this season.  Even schools that haven't had success in the recent past are still working hard to get back to the top and face some of the same issues that you've stated about LHS. 

Even though all may not be right in Lumberton, the sky is not falling.