13 important Texas propositions

They are not important because they are meaningless. They are discussion points… as if the Republican legislators don’t know what is popular.

2 and 6 are almost certainly unconstitutional.

8 is likely unconstitutional in parts.

13 is probably unconstitutional 

21 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

They are not important because they are meaningless. They are discussion points… as if the Republican legislators don’t know what is popular.

Doesn’t change the fact that it is still a bunch of yesses from me.

Im against prop 11. From my understanding your tax dollars can only move once.

Ex: You move your child from public to private school. Your tax dollars move with your child to the private school. If you ever decide to move your child back to public school your tax dollars will not move again. The money will stay at the private school.

Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I understand it.

6 hours ago, Ty Cobb said:

Ex: You move your child from public to private school. Your tax dollars move with your child to the private school. If you ever decide to move your child back to public school your tax dollars will not move again. The money will stay at the private school.

It is neither right nor wrong because these are not laws. They are not suggested laws. They are not constitutional amendments.

They are talking points, like, what do you want us to discuss in the next legislative session?

The next legislature takes office in January 2025. 

6 hours ago, Ty Cobb said:

But…..

I’m sure that there are opinions from some legislatures on which way such a proposal should go.

I follow the legislature fairly closely and they have their own website. It is detailed and has very good information as to each step in the process of every bill filed. You can read word for word what was submitted, amended and/or passed. Some bills for example, go through several amendments, and then die in committee.

For example, a representative or senator as a talking point might say, in the next session, if I am elected, I will file a bill that says blah blah blah.

So there is definitely a possibility that what you heard may have been uttered by someone at some point. That is far from a bill being filed or if so, even getting out of committee, much less being voted into law. I think maybe between 4000 bills are filed each legislative session. They have 140 days to weed through the bills, debate them, amend them to try and get some of them passed into actual law.

14 hours ago, tvc184 said:

though I agree in bold 

So are you saying “don’t vote” on these

I agree with most of the props “meaningless” or not, but it’s a way for my voice to be heard even if they chose not to take action upon the votes on such props.

Either way I’m going to vote on officials and while I’m there I’m voting on such props.  

I would like to discuss these one at a time.

Proposition 1 Texas should eliminate all property taxes without increasing Texans’ overall tax burden. YES NO

Questions I have: 

If you take away all of that tax burden, what makes up the difference?

Does this include the property tax burden for municipalities & school districts?

What's the catch?

4 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

though I agree in bold 

So are you saying “don’t vote” on these

I agree with most of the props “meaningless” or not, but it’s a way for my voice to be heard even if they chose not to take action upon the votes on such props.

Either way I’m going to vote on officials and while I’m there I’m voting on such props.  

I never mentioned voting.

I only wanted to point out that these were nothing but discussion topics. These are not proposals they are not bills that have been presented, and they are not amendments to the constitution.

We could have discussed any of these issues without an election because they are only that, a discussion. I voted today and did complete a vote on all 13 issues.

I do find it rather ludicrous that the Texas GOP has to ask whether they should enact laws such as relieving property tax, securing the border, etc.

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Proposition 1 Texas should eliminate all property taxes without increasing Texans’ overall tax burden. YES NO

Questions I have: 

Does this include the property tax burden for municipalities & school districts?

What's the catch?

No takers?

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Questions I have: 

What's the catch?

Catches...

They propose a "consumption tax" or VAT (value added tax).  Kinda like a sales tax that's tacked on at every step of the production process.

This is the hidden content, please

1.  those types of taxes always have a larger impact on people with lower incomes.  

2. If you didn't like inflation from the last couple of years, you'll HATE the addition of the consumption tax.. it's going to raise the price of everything that you purchase.

3.  It won't be collected locally... and you'd better hope that those hairy-legged women in the Peoples' Republic of Austin see fit to return some of that money back to your area.

4.  Those are all facts... my opinion is that they will get an okay from the public to allow a consumption tax, then forget to phase out the property tax.  

As always, we don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem.  High taxes are a result of high spending, not the other way around. 

Now I shall return to the shadows. 

6 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

No takers?

CB said it but it didn’t say eliminating taxes. It said doing away with property taxes so a small percentage of people are directly affected.

Like other discussions points, it could take the form of anything except income taxes.

I am assuming that property owners would probably love it and others, who are paying less direct taxes, would probably hate it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 1:25 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Catches...

They propose a "consumption tax" or VAT (value added tax).  Kinda like a sales tax that's tacked on at every step of the production process.

This is the hidden content, please

1.  those types of taxes always have a larger impact on people with lower incomes.  

2. If you didn't like inflation from the last couple of years, you'll HATE the addition of the consumption tax.. it's going to raise the price of everything that you purchase.

3.  It won't be collected locally... and you'd better hope that those hairy-legged women in the Peoples' Republic of Austin see fit to return some of that money back to your area.

4.  Those are all facts... my opinion is that they will get an okay from the public to allow a consumption tax, then forget to phase out the property tax.  

As always, we don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem.  High taxes are a result of high spending, not the other way around. 

Now I shall return to the shadows. 

Rereading the question it states “without increasing Texans tax burden” a consumption tax would do that.

Either way they have to have taxes somewhere ….im good with property tax but when they. Continually increase it is where I have a problem….

36 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I voted NO on the property tax gig and I own 4 properties, one with 45 acres.

I just think that "discussion" was an angle to introduce something far worse than property taxes.

location, and does it have pigs or predators that need killing? 😁

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Cushing Texas.

Leasing it to four people during deer season.

good deal.  I've got plenty of places to hunt, but always looking for more options, but nothing I'm willing to pay for.  I find people who have problems they need taken care of.  Already have a paid lease for deer.

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

good deal.  I've got plenty of places to hunt, but always looking for more options, but nothing I'm willing to pay for.  Already have a paid lease for deer.

Actually, we are ready to get rid of that property but my oldest son wants us to keep it for now.

None of us hunt. He just wants to keep that property in the family. It was willed to my wife when her grandmother died 22 years ago.

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Actually, we are ready to get rid of that property but my oldest son wants us to keep it for now.

None of us hunt. He just wants to keep that property in the family. It was willed to my wife when her grandmother died 22 years ago.

I give my dad a hard time about not buying land when he could for cheap.  He could've picked up a couple hundred acres near where we hunt now for less than $75K back in his early 30s and passed on it, and that same place some for almost $2M awhile back.  land is one of the few things they aren't making any more of.