Lamar finds a new way to lose

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

The Cardinals blow a 15 point first half lead to lose the game versus UNI on a tip-in at the buzzer. Man, I hope this team can stay together and believe in the coaching staff. I don't like to comment about players or coaches but IMO this is a TOTAL team effort in the loss. I think there is plenty of blame to go around players and the coaching staff alike. I just hope the team doesn't start pointing fingers at each other or the coaching staff. I know they want to win more than I want them to win.

I just hope the fan's will give this team some time to come together but if history is the case I would expect a few small crowds until the team starts playing better.

:o :'(

Very discouraging!!!  I watched the game when we blew out UNI last year and they were awful.  I absolutely CANNOT believe we lost to them.  We are obviously playing horrible basketball right now.  We could be approaching Tony Branch numbers this year.  I thought coach Roc was a good hire but it's looking like another bad move in a long line of bad moves.  I honestly don't know why we haven't gone after the SHSU coach, the NWSU coach, or even SFA's coach.  Those 3 guys put on a clinic every time we play them from a coaching standpoint.  I've finally quit going to the games.  I've been a huge fan for 30 years but it's just disgusting to go out there night after night and watch horrible basketball.

I thought we were picked #1 in preseason polls?  Apparently we have enough talent to win???  I don't know about our talent level this year since I haven't been to any games.  We obviously have no inside threat whatsoever.  And, if our offensive scheme is the same it has been the past few years (even under Tubbs) it can't be much of anything.  I don't think our players even no what a screen or backcut or give and go are.

This is sad. You lose to a winless team that has already lost to a conference rival by 24. Also, the loss to UNO looms even larger than it was. Some were saying how that loss wasn't that bad, that UNO is a good team. But UNO loses to Nichols State last night. This doesn't look good for the Cards.

BTW, it's NIU, not UNI. UNI is University of Northern Iowa.

Guest abovetherim

Thanks for correcting me. I'm sure the others just followed my lead with the mistake. However, I really don't care if its UNI or NIU they are terrible. Right now, we are terrible BUT the worse thing right now is to even consider a coaching change. All the coaches another poster put out have been at their school at least 7 years. This is Coach Roc's second. Lets not continue down the same path of getting rid of coaches and give the man some time to build a program.

Now, do I think he had done a good job of coaching this team. No, but hopefully he'll shoulder some of the blame publicly and get the attention off the players. None of them are playing up to their potential and yes that includes Kenny Dawkins. At one point yesterday he was 1-7 from the field with a hand full of TO's. THIS BAD START IS A TOTAL TEAM EFFORT. Coach Roc needs to look in the mirror and say everything starts at the top with me. People will respect him for that but if he continues to put all the blame on the players he'll not only lose the team but the respect of the fan's.

If you don't believe me about how long these coaches have been at their school go to www.southland.org and click on each school then look up the coach's bio. The only one who has won early is Bob Marlin. The answer is yes he is the best coach in the SLC. However, the other coaches are good too they just did not win early. Give Roc at least 3 more years and if he hasn't turned the program around by then. Let him go. But he wasn't the one blowing layups. I'm talking a layup was missed by two different Lamar players. I won't name them but if you can't make a layup at the DI level you shouldn't be playing.

Guest abovetherim

This is sad. You lose to a winless team that has already lost to a conference rival by 24. Also, the loss to UNO looms even larger than it was. Some were saying how that loss wasn't that bad, that UNO is a good team. But UNO loses to Nichols State last night. This doesn't look good for the Cards.

BTW, it's NIU, not UNI. UNI is University of Northern Iowa.

UNO beat N.C. State who was ranked #21 at the time. This was their first loss of the season. I still think they are pretty good. This isn't the first time Nichols State has beat someone you'd think would cream them. If you don't play your game they'll beat you. They have beat Lamar several times.

Just because we've had a bad start doesn't mean this is a bad team. We have to make some adjustments and guys like Jay Brown and LS need to step up but LS is starting to come around, and hopefully Jay Brown will. If those 2 start better and Dhop and Barrow start hitting shots, (with Dawkins still dominating), we will come around.

Look at the bright side of these losses

Ole Miss (not much good... but its Ole Miss)

Wyoming- could of beat them, came down to played in the last 1 and a half minute

ORU- was right in the game until the last 5 minutes. Had we have built on our 11 point lead it would of been ours

UNO- lost to a good team but started to comeback the last 10 minutes of the game

Northern Illinois- Had a chance at the end to win it and instead they get their hand at the right spot and tip the ball in, still should of won but we didn't.

Now if we lose to Louisiana College and St. Gregory's, then we have REAL problems. But until then, we need to support these guys. The season is far from being over.

Guest abovetherim

Great post mffl! I agree with your statements but if the question comes up and it will. He needs to step up to the plate and take some of the blame. If for no other reason than he recruited all these guys. I played sports in HS and there were guys who played like they were All-American in practice but in the game could not get it done. Charles Barley wasn't a practice player, AI isn't, in every sport I can name off guys that did not practice great but on game day they brought it.

I honestly haven't seen enough of Jay Brown to know if he can play or not. However, if he can't then quit recruiting guys from LACC. Bearden, Powell and now Brown. I know he is able to hit shots from outside the paint and has some good moves around the basket.

We have been losing so what is the down side of playing him at least 20 minutes in the next two ball-games? Lose again? I've heard he isn't a good defender. Heck, we need someone who can put the ball in the rim. I'm not a coach but I'd give Jay Brown some time on the court during a game sitution and let him know before the game you aren't going to yank him out if he messes up.

One thing about coaching is you don't use the same approach with every player. Teaching/coaching is basically the same and it is proven people learn by different teaching methods.

I'm a Coach Roc supporter, I live in Port Arthur, his cousin taught my daughter so I want nothing but success on the court and off for Steve Roccaforte. 

Guest coachacola

Ole Miss is a good team and they beat soundly but that was expected being our first game.  The Wyoming and ORU games were home games against average teams we should have beat.  The UNO game was a step backwards and the NIU game a disaster.  Last year we were a bad road team, this year it looks to be worse.

Since we have no inside game (where's Brown?) we rely on jumpers and teams are figuring that out.  We can't penetrate and draw fouls so we don't get to the FT line much.  Ashton Hall is playing more and he's getting to the foul line more than any one (9-11 the last two games).

The other positive is that this team has cut down on TOs a lot from last year and actually causes more TOs than it commits.  But again, because of no inside game opponents are getting a lot of offensive rebounds and scoring easily inside.

If Roc can figure out how to get an inside game going, rebound better, and draw fouls, this team will be alright.  We'll find out soon enough if he can fix this.

Guest coachacola

What is Custer doing? Why have a 6'10" center if he can't play at the slc level. Roc should be using this time to get him ready

for the slc.

One word:  "Project"

What is Custer doing? Why have a 6'10" center if he can't play at the slc level. Roc should be using this time to get him ready

for the slc.

He can score and that's about it right now.  He's a freshman.  We'll see a lot of him over the next 4 years, but he's got a ways to go before he's the best option at center.

I'm not saying he could be the next Shaq. However it doesn't take an 140 IQ to post up, turn and shoot.

Any team playing LU knows to focus defense on the guards. If we could only make them back off

the guards a little, then we would see a much better team playing. If Custer can't back an aggressive guard

defense off just a little, then he need not be in D-I basketball. Just post low, then shoot over your guy. He just needs

to learn 2 shots. How hard is that?

Very discouraging!!!  I watched the game when we blew out UNI last year and they were awful.  I absolutely CANNOT believe we lost to them.  We are obviously playing horrible basketball right now.  We could be approaching Tony Branch numbers this year.  I thought coach Roc was a good hire but it's looking like another bad move in a long line of bad moves.  I honestly don't know why we haven't gone after the SHSU coach, the NWSU coach, or even SFA's coach.  Those 3 guys put on a clinic every time we play them from a coaching standpoint.  I've finally quit going to the games.  I've been a huge fan for 30 years but it's just disgusting to go out there night after night and watch horrible basketball.

I thought we were picked #1 in preseason polls?  Apparently we have enough talent to win???  I don't know about our talent level this year since I haven't been to any games.  We obviously have no inside threat whatsoever.  And, if our offensive scheme is the same it has been the past few years (even under Tubbs) it can't be much of anything.  I don't think our players even no what a screen or backcut or give and go are.

Ah-hh Tony Branch days. Man, that brings back memories of long ago.  T.B. was too busy trying to graduate his players and less on talent. I'm in favor of bringing back Al Barbe (sp?) to coach. Where is he? Now, he knew how to win (just kidding).

L amar is good about giving their coaches 5 years to get things together. A lot of build up and no substance to back up the hype. I saw Lamar play twice last season, and I can honestly say that they had one kid who was a legit D-1 player. The rest would be role players on any other team.

But sometimes, you don't have to have a lot of talent to win. Teach a kid how to believe in himself and his own unique talents to blend in with the team concepts.

I'm not saying he could be the next Shaq. However it doesn't take an 140 IQ to post up, turn and shoot.

Any team playing LU knows to focus defense on the guards. If we could only make them back off

the guards a little, then we would see a much better team playing. If Custer can't back an aggressive guard

defense off just a little, then he need not be in D-I basketball. Just post low, then shoot over your guy. He just needs

to learn 2 shots. How hard is that?

Right now, he'd get abused at the other end.  He's a young, foul-a-minute player right now.  Any offense he gives would be negated by what he'd give up on defense.  Really, from what I've seen, Nabors and Worrell give better post-up options than Custer.  Custer's ceiling is certainly higher than either of theirs, but he's got to work his way in a little at a time.  Again, he's a redshirt freshman, he's 6'10", and he's got good touch around the basket.  We'll see plenty from him over the next 4 years.

Just because we've had a bad start doesn't mean this is a bad team. We have to make some adjustments and guys like Jay Brown and LS need to step up but LS is starting to come around, and hopefully Jay Brown will. If those 2 start better and Dhop and Barrow start hitting shots, (with Dawkins still dominating), we will come around.

Look at the bright side of these losses

Ole Miss (not much good... but its Ole Miss)

Wyoming- could of beat them, came down to played in the last 1 and a half minute

ORU- was right in the game until the last 5 minutes. Had we have built on our 11 point lead it would of been ours

UNO- lost to a good team but started to comeback the last 10 minutes of the game

Northern Illinois- Had a chance at the end to win it and instead they get their hand at the right spot and tip the ball in, still should of won but we didn't.

Now if we lose to Louisiana College and St. Gregory's, then we have REAL problems. But until then, we need to support these guys. The season is far from being over.

I'm sick and tired of these so called moral victories:  could beat them, in the game, started to come back...blah blah blah.  A loss is a loss is a loss.  It's ridiculous.  I will never be pleased with losing.  Where will losing close games get our program?  Nowhere.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect our team to beat Wyoming and UNO.  And we should blow out a Northern Illinois.  But the fact is we are on our way to another season with an RPI around 290....that is disgusting.  I'm not saying that we need to can coach Roc.  I totally agree that he needs 4 or 5 years to get something going here.  However, I do NOT understand why we don't or didn't pursue some of these VERY good coaches at other small schools.  It seems like someone would prefer coaching basketball at LU vs a SHSU, NWSU, or SFA (programs that avg, what, about 800-1000 people per game??)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder