Playoff spots already clinched and seeds clinched/Updated thru Feb. 10

We have 33 of our coverage area teams that have clinched a playoff spot with one game remaining in district play. We also have 6 teams that has wrapped up the #1 seed in their district.

Here is a rundown of each district that has teams that have clinched playoff spots. Also a look at who can clinch in the final district game Tuesday, Feb. 13:

21-6A

Atascocita has clinched playoff spot and #1 seed

Beaumont United has clinched the #2 seed.

Beaumont West Brook has clinched a playoff spot.

CE King can clinch final playoff spot with a win or a Summer Creek loss. West Brook can clinch #3 seed with a win or CE King loss.

16-5A

Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Kingwood Park and Porter have clinched playoff spots. Lufkin has clinched the #1 seed. Nacogdoches is the #2 seed.

Kingwood Park has clinched #3 seed. Porter will be #4 seed.

17-5A

Barbers Hill, Port Arthur Memorial and Crosby have clinched playoff spots.

Barbers Hill can clinch #1 seed with a win and a PA Memorial loss. PA Memorial can clinch #1 seed with a win and a Barbers Hill loss. 

Crosby can clinch no worse than #3 seed with a win or Nederland loss.

Nederland can clinch final playoff spot with a win or Goose Creek Memorial loss. 

19-4A

Silsbee, Bridge City and West Orange-Stark have clinched playoff spots. Silsbee has clinched the #1 seed. Bridge City is #2 seed. WO-S is #3 seed.

Vidor can clinch final spot with a win vs. Jasper Tuesday night. Lumberton gets final spot with a Vidor loss.

20-4A

Hamshire-Fannett and Huffman have clinched playoff spots.

Hamshire-Fannett can clinch #1 seed with a win or a Huffman loss on Tuesday. Both teams have clinched no worse than the #2 seed.

Livingston can clinch playoff spot with a win vs. West Fork Tuesday. They can clinch #3 seed with a win and a Splendora loss.

Splendora can clinch playoff spot with a win vs. Huffman Tuesday.

21-3A

Pollok Central, Central Heights, Diboll and Woodville have clinched playoff spots.

Pollok Central can clinch #1 seed with a win vs. Central Heights Monday. Central Heights needs a win vs. PC to force a tie for #1 seed. Both teams have clinched no worse than the #2 seed.

Diboll and Woodville need wins and the other to lose Tuesday to clinch #3 seed.

22-3A

Kountze and Orangefield have clinched playoff spots.

Kountze can clinch #1 seed with a win and an Orangefield loss Tuesday. Orangefield can clinch #1 seed with a win and a Kountze loss Tuesday. Both can finish no worse than the #2 seed.

Anahuac, Buna and East Chambers are all tied at 7-6. Each needs a win and one of the other two to lose to clinch playoff spot on Tuesday. If one team loses and the other two win, the losing team will be out. Anahuac plays Hardin, Buna plays Kountze and East Chambers plays Warren.

23-3A

Crockett and Shepherd have clinched playoff spots. Both need a win and the other to lose Tuesday to get #1 seed.

Coldspring can clinch with a win or a Tarkington loss. A Coldspring win clinches no worse than the #3 seed.

Tarkington can clinch with a win and an Onalaska loss.

Onalaska can clinch with a win and a Tarkington loss.

24-2A

San Augustine, Corrigan-Camden and Woden have clinched playoff spots. San Augustine has clinched #1 seed, Corrigan has clinched #2 seed.

Woden can clinch #3 seed with a win Tuesday night.

Chireno can clinch final playoff spot with a win or a West Sabine loss.

25-2A

Evadale, Sabine Pass, West Hardin and Big Sandy have clinched playoff spots. Evadale has clinched the #1 seed.

Sabine Pass and West Hardin play each other Tuesday night. Winner will be #2 seed.

Big Sandy needs a win and a Sabine Pass loss to force a tie for #3 seed with Sabine Pass.

28-1A

Brookeland, Leggett and Spurger have clinched playoff spots. Brookeland is #1 seed, Leggett is #2 seed. Spurger is #3 seed.

Chester and Zavalla are tied at 6-7. Both need a win and the other to lose to clinch on Tuesday night. Otherwise they will have to play a play in game for 4th seed. Chester plays at Leggett and Zavalla plays at Spurger.

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Playoff spots already clinched and seeds clinched/Updated thru Feb. 7

@AggiesAreWe since Coldspring plays Shepherd Friday would only one of those teams would clinch a playoff spot while the other still have to win next week?  Then you have the matter of the district championship because as far as I know Coldspring is leading but also currently tied with Crockett although the Bulldogs have a better record (1 win and loss separate both teams) but I was wondering how does that work out?

8 hours ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

@AggiesAreWe since Coldspring plays Shepherd Friday would only one of those teams would clinch a playoff spot while the other still have to win next week?  Then you have the matter of the district championship because as far as I know Coldspring is leading but also currently tied with Crockett although the Bulldogs have a better record (1 win and loss separate both teams) but I was wondering how does that work out?

Both still could clinch if both Tarkington and Onalaska lose their games Friday.

Currently, it's a three way tie for first with Coldspring, Crockett and Shepherd tied at 9-3.

With Coldspring playing Shepherd Friday night, that will help eliminate the three way tie. There are still scenarios that the three could be back tied after the last game Tuesday. Will cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the case of a two way tie, it goes to head to head. If both teams have split, then the options are to play a seeding game, flip a coin or one team can concede the seed to the other.

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Both still could clinch if both Tarkington and Onalaska lose their games Friday.

Currently, it's a three way tie for first with Coldspring, Crockett and Shepherd tied at 9-3.

With Coldspring playing Shepherd Friday night, that will help eliminate the three way tie. There are still scenarios that the three could be back tied after the last game Tuesday. Will cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the case of a two way tie, it goes to head to head. If both teams have split, then the options are to play a seeding game, flip a coin or one team can concede the seed to the other.

I forgot about the fact that both Tarkington and Onalaska would have to lose in order for all 3 to clinch 

2 minutes ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

I forgot about the fact that both Tarkington and Onalaska would have to lose in order for all 3 to clinch 

Only the loser of the Coldspring/Shepherd game Friday night would need Tarkington and Onalaska to lose their games in order to clinch a spot this Friday. The winner will clinch a spot regardless of what Tarkington and Onalaska do this Friday.

1 hour ago, Johhny Ringo said:

I think HJ clinches a spot with a win vs Livingston tomorrow.

You are right. That would put them at 7-5 and Livingston with 6 losses with one game to play. HJ would be done with district play. Can't finish with 6 losses.

I'll make the correction.

Thanks.

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Playoff spots already clinched and seeds clinched/Updated thru Feb. 10

Another update in the original post reflecting the results of games played yesterday and today, Feb. 9 and 10.

We now have 33 of the 44 playoff spots clinched.

Still sitting at 6 #1 seeds out of the 11.

Looking like we have the possibility of 2-3 play in games and around 5 seed games for end of next week.

Exciting times!!

3 hours ago, Kowboy98 said:

Are playoff warm up games no longer a thing? I guess since 4 teams make the playoffs these days that doesn’t happen anymore 

Pretty much.

Since the playoffs now include 4 teams there is no longer a bye in the first round for the district champion. A lot of those warmup games involved the 1st place teams not wanting to have too much time off.

Also the UIL changed rules about how many games a team can play in a season before playoffs. Teams now play their quota and cannot play a warmup game. Most teams that play them now are teams who went deep in football playoffs and are looking to get more games under their belt. 

There are also teams that haven't met their quota of games and had a pretty easy district schedule and look for a tough match up before playoffs. But those are few and far between.

Coaches have just got out of the notion of playing warmup games these days.

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Pretty much.

Since the playoffs now include 4 teams there is no longer a bye in the first round for the district champion. A lot of those warmup games involved the 1st place teams not wanting to have too much time off.

Also the UIL changed rules about how many games a team can play in a season before playoffs. Teams now play their quota and cannot play a warmup game. Most teams that play them now are teams who went deep in football playoffs and are looking to get more games under their belt. 

There are also teams that haven't met their quota of games and had a pretty easy district schedule and look for a tough match up before playoffs. But those are few and far between.

That makes sense. Whats the regular season quota? 35 games 

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Pretty much.

I assume that BU can play a warmup game since they are short a game due to BT Washington chickening out and canceling our game…. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I assume that BU can play a warmup game since they are short a game due to BT Washington chickening out and canceling our game…. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

Someone is a bit bitter about that game not taking place I see 😂

Just now, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Someone is a bit bitter about that game not taking place I see 😂

He is very wrong on the subject.

Jim Hicks and Doug Jones of RCS Sports has a very different take on the cancelation of that game. I'll take their word over his any day when it comes to Houston area basketball.

But regardless of the reason, United could play a warm up game if it so chooses and if someone would agree to play due to the cancelation. 

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

He is very wrong on the subject.

Jim Hicks and Doug Jones of RCS Sports has a very different take on the cancelation of that game. I'll take their word over his any day when it comes to Houston area basketball.

But regardless of the reason, United could play a warm up game if it so chooses and if someone would agree to play due to the cancelation. 

And I’ll trust an answer from the district’s AD and the NON answer from the HC over whoever the heck those two guys you just named.  

They blamed the ‘scheduling conflict’ on BU and we all know BU has been waiting for a piece of those guys.  Even from the outside looking in it makes no sense…

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And I’ll trust an answer from the district’s AD and the NON answer from the HC over whoever the heck those two guys you just named.  

They blamed the ‘scheduling conflict’ on BU and we all know BU has been waiting for a piece of those guys.  Even from the outside looking in it makes no sense…

You not knowing who those two are tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of the area basketball scene.

Doug Jones is a Port Arthur guy. Very in tuned to the high school basketball in this area and Houston.

The conflict was from both sides and the fact that Washington had to start district play a week earlier than scheduled. They had no choice but to cancel.

Neither could come up with a make up date that suited both teams.

Only thing I saw wrong with Washington was them waiting at the last minute to cancel.

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You not knowing who those two are tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of the area basketball scene.

Doug Jones is a Port Arthur guy. Very in tuned to the high school basketball in this area and Houston.

The conflict was from both sides and the fact that Washington had to start district play a week earlier than scheduled. They had no choice but to cancel.

Only thing I saw wrong with Washington was them waiting at the last minute to cancel.

You missed the sarcasm I see.  My point was I really don’t care what they say when I went straight to the source(s).  On BOTH sides.  

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

And I’ve seen teams play non district games in between district games before.  It could’ve happened.  Talking to both sides, BU was the one that was flexible but yet got the short end of the stick.  

3 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

You missed the sarcasm I see.  My point was I really don’t care what they say when I went straight to the source(s).  On BOTH sides.  

Not sure why you thought the Washington coach owed you an explanation. I imagine he has better things to do with his time.

But I am certainly not surprised that you emailed the guy about a game being canceled, That's some funny stuff. lol

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Not sure why you thought the Washington coach owed you an explanation. I imagine he has better things to do with his time.

But I am certainly not surprised that you emailed the guy about a game being canceled, That's some funny stuff. lol

It’s funny that you say that.  Most coaches would jump at the opportunity to reply to someone interested in their basketball programs.  I’ve emailed coaches before.  Always got a reply.  This guy didn’t.  I’m glad that his boss did though.  

And yes, you know me and my emailing.  

Matter of fact, I have some stuff in the draft just waiting to send to someone prior to football season starting…. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️