Local TV Sports channels disrespect girls sports

Jdad

I am grateful for this forum to get information from our local teams. I am wondering why our local TV stations will only show area boys events. Even tonight it was all about football that will play on friday. I like football and want to know the scores and highlights but, tonight is basketball and I tuned in to see basketball scores. If I want to know about Pro sports I will watch espn. The local stations should show local games. Boys and Girls in our area! I can't be the only one who thinks this way. I'm curious to know if organizing to protest would get their attention or emailing the stations by a bunch of fans who want to see our Girls respected a little bit.Girls work hard every week to prepare just like boys and they deserve to be acknowledged also. Please reply with your thoughts.

Guest bleed orange

I agree also guys. But you are beating a dead horse. Who you need to be hammering is the Beaumont enterprise and the coaches who will not send an email or call in their games to the paper. How hard is that. The Orange Leader does an excellent job of covering their local teams and they only have two people who cover sports. You say, Orange County does not have as many teams. Well they do not have the staff the Beaumont enterprise does either. Orange County has 6 teams. Beaumont has 9 and that is counting Silsbee, HF, HJ, and EC. Whats wrong with that picture. The only reason I get the Beaumont enterprise is because of the lottery numbers.

i always watch ch 6 because they at least give mention to girls sports. but the reality is that there are just far more people interested in boys sports than in girls sports. just attendence factors make that clear. don't get me wrong, i was a high school coach for girls sports for several years. i love checking up on the local girls teams, but the bulk of the people are more interested in the boys scores.... that's life i guess. that's why i am so thankful for a great message board like this one.... the last 2 years have been great for me. i have been able to keep up with everything going on.

AMEN Rev!!!!  I totally agree!!  Girls never get the respect from the media that they deserve.  They act like they are throwing us a crumb when they "mention" the scores.  Channel 6 does a better job than the other two but still lacks coverage.  When games ARE covered, it seems to be predominantly the Bmt. schools.  ........and I agree about the football......for gosh sakes, there ARE other games in town!!!  Tuesday nights should emphasize basketball...both girls and boys.  I realize boys' sports get more support, this has been an age old problem even though girls work every bit as hard, BUT, there are fans out there intrested in what is going on in the OTHER world.  COVER IT!!! 

i always watch ch 6 because they at least give mention to girls sports. but the reality is that there are just far more people interested in boys sports than in girls sports. just attendence factors make that clear. don't get me wrong, i was a high school coach for girls sports for several years. i love checking up on the local girls teams, but the bulk of the people are more interested in the boys scores.... that's life i guess. that's why i am so thankful for a great message board like this one.... the last 2 years have been great for me. i have been able to keep up with everything going on.

SE Texans don't support girl's athletics worth a SH*T, and that's putting it mildly.

Go to a girl's BB game in West Texas or the Panhandle and the stands will be packed and I guarantee the TV and newspaper coverage is equal to or in some cases better than that provided for boy's athletics.

Most Varsity games end around 9:30.

These stations most of the time will say a score if they get it in time.  We call all our scores into all three tv stations and the enterprise.

You have to remember, they have about 5 minutes to report the top sports stories of the day.  They also have to plan that segment and they may not always have all the scores.

For being short handed (2 sports people on the tv stations) and 2 sports editors, I think they all do a fair job.  Not every school gets to have an article every day.

But to answer your question, e-mail and phone calls will change things.  All news outlets will report what their readers / listeners are interested in.  Let your voice be heard.

Guest bleed orange

Parent are going to have to take matters into their own hands. Most coaches in the area do not do a good job of calling in their games. Kids like to see their name in the paper. It's funny during football season the Beaumont enterprise has several articles on a lot of teams. They maybe small but at least it is an article. In todays paper they had one article on the WB and Lumberton girls game and the rest was a page telling the scores and who scored what. You can put 30 of them on one page of a scap book. I am thankful we have the Orange leader. If the coaches send it in they print it and it is an article not stats. My daughter has 3 scrap books and they are full because of the Orange Leader. Coaches, if a reporter is not at your game sit down and write something and send it in. It does not take a lot of time.

Parent are going to have to take matters into their own hands. Most coaches in the area do not do a good job of calling in their games. Kids like to see their name in the paper. It's funny during football season the Beaumont enterprise has several articles on a lot of teams. They maybe small but at least it is an article. In todays paper they had one article on the WB and Lumberton girls game and the rest was a page telling the scores and who scored what. You can put 30 of them on one page of a scap book. I am thankful we have the Orange leader. If the coaches send it in they print it and it is an article not stats. My daughter has 3 scrap books and they are full because of the Orange Leader. Coaches, if a reporter is not at your game sit down and write something and send it in. It does not take a lot of time.

You folks are lucky to have the Orange Leader. I wait until bedtime to read the Beaumont Enterprise every day so I can go to sleep with nothing on my mind.  ::)

First I'm glad I am not alone in my thoughts. In response to HJHAWKS comments there is no excuse for the discrepancies between boys and girls. Fact is girls games get through earlier than boys games and their scores and highlights aren't there.I realize there are time restaints so why not a 15 minute basketball blitz for all basketball games. I personly have called into all three stations to report scores and did not get one to air.This is my thoughts on how to get the girls recognized. First pick a date and get all fans, parents, coaches, and players to email the TV directors ( not sports guys ) that we want to see our girls get more attention. I beleive this may do the trick. With all the responses we can make a difference. We need to include Lamar lady cardinals because they have the same problems. One of their players scored 44 points in a win and the men got a huge article in the paper after a blowout loss and the girls got a afterthought. The only way to make changes for the better is for people to let their voices be heard and if that don.t do it, then you have to take a more public stand maybe even get national attention if that is what it takes to help all the young ladies in our area and beyond.Please continue to respond and lets get our thoughts togeather and make a difference.

Guest bleed orange

Yes, Buckster we are blessed to have the Orange leader. If anyone out there does not believe me go to their web page and you will see what I mean. They have been doing this forever.I am talking 50 years plus. Now, the coaches have to call in the games or email on away games. If they send it in to the Leader they will print it. Not like the beaumont enterprise. I fell sorry for the kids in the beaumont area. They get no coverage. Again, the coaches need to do their job and send it in. orangeleader.com

First thanks for the kind words from the couple who had them for what we do here at the Leader. What I really want to touch on is it does take coaches to call in the stats of the game, no matter the outcome. We rely heavily on that and for the most part have great coaches who call in. It really does not matter the score. What matters is getting the girls names in the paper for the recognition of playing hard. I really have become the girls' writer here except for softball (only cause I love baseball so much). I do a ton of volleyball and girls basketball and really enjoy it and this way we get both sides in.

It all starts though with coaches calling in those scores if a reporter is not there. I just took info from a coach and I think the whole process took under 3 minutes and half of that was spent just talking some noise real fast.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder