Bellville (49) @ West Orange-Stark (7) - FINAL

jdawg03

I wonder how much revenue the school has lost as a result of the football program not advancing in the playoffs? In addition, it seems like there is a huge drop in attendance at the games. Make no mistake, from a straight monetary position the program is not bringing in the money that it used to.  I would hope money raised through the football program would be utilized to help with the band, other sports and academics. Certainly if that is the case, then other programs are hurting financially.  The tradition of the football program was built by hard work, quality coaching, great athletes, great families, consistency, tough discipline and tough love. The football program remains a source of great pride for our little community and a place where everyone should be able to come together. A standard of exceptionalism has been set and nothing less should be acceptable. It’s really tough seeing our program fall to average. Our kids deserve the very best that we can give them. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mustang1980 said:

I wonder how much revenue the school has lost as a result of the football program not advancing in the playoffs? In addition, it seems like there is a huge drop in attendance at the games. Make no mistake, from a straight monetary position the program is not bringing in the money that it used to.  I would hope money raised through the football program would be utilized to help with the band, other sports and academics. Certainly if that is the case, then other programs are hurting financially.  The tradition of the football program was built by hard work, quality coaching, great athletes, great families, consistency, tough discipline and tough love. The football program remains a source of great pride for our little community and a place where everyone should be able to come together. A standard of exceptionalism has been set and nothing less should be acceptable. It’s really tough seeing our program fall to average. Our kids deserve the very best that we can give them. Just my opinion.

Not refuting the comments about the awesome winning tradition and community pride. Y’all have always had great community support in the past. But I think the school district’s financial stability is a non-issue in regards to the money brought in by athletics. Also, (just my opinion) the community should stick by their team and go to games whether they’re winning or not. That’s the real definition of community support. 

48 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Not refuting the comments about the awesome winning tradition and community pride. Y’all have always had great community support in the past. But I think the school district’s financial stability is a non-issue in regards to the money brought in by athletics. Also, (just my opinion) the community should stick by their team and go to games whether they’re winning or not. That’s the real definition of community support. 

Agreed.  District is definitely not hurting for money.  Probably best overall facilities in SETX and have all the chem road money plus the giant check they got from CP.  

19 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

Agreed.  District is definitely not hurting for money.  Probably best overall facilities in SETX and have all the chem road money plus the giant check they got from CP.  

Great points from all regarding the money. Agree that we have best overall facilities although concrete seating could be upgraded. Having said that, best athletes and best facilities deserve the very best coach. Since money appears to not be an issue then open up the wallet and get the best coach we can get. 

We have $5 million surplus at this time. The giant check from GTP is not coming in yet. Although we have started to receive some because the work being done. Now here's the kicker... no pun intended. Super is pushing for another bond. It is being promoted as no cost to taxpayers. It will be paid for by the tax revenue once the plant begins full operations. They want to add it to they May election. But don't have a study to find what the money should be spent on. So for now they say go ahead an approve a blank check based on money that may come in at some point. Counting chickens before the eggs are laid. 

Now, what is more important here to our student athletics discussion. Is that we need to do something to ensure these young men and women have all opportunities to continue they're education. We're not just looking at win-loss records and graduation rates. We want to make sure the Athletic Department is working hard to get these kids scholarships. I believe the number I heard for low income was 87%. And soon to be 20% Hispanic. Which brings me back to the kicker... we had one a couple years ago that was breaking school records for distance and accuracy. The kids here always had a goal. That has been erased by the administration's inability to make a qualified hire.

And SLC keeps on racking up wins thru the playoffs. Inching closer to taking our banner down

On 11/11/2023 at 6:37 AM, WOS1986 said:

Totally agreed with you! 

Look at PNG last year what Todd Dodge did for them as consultant.

It will worth a try to get him because WOS have the athletic kids that could help them better plus get back the program.

I think that's an outstanding idea and it's not like the school couldn't afford it based on the triple story press boxes and multi million dollar event centers that are going up on campus. The problem is that Dodge probably wouldn't agree to it if he could only pick a Black man and that's what is behind this whole charade. 

It's funny, I was talking to one of my closest Mustang buddies (who happens to be a black man) and we never cared what color our coach was when we were playing. Most of our Mustang brothers want the program we bled for back. It's doesn't matter in the least what race the man is. We've never cared about that. It's the outsiders that have infiltrated this community or people who never knew what it was to be a Mustang that have injected this worldly concept into our program. It's like a cancer.

17 hours ago, Mustang1980 said:

Great points from all regarding the money. Agree that we have best overall facilities although concrete seating could be upgraded. Having said that, best athletes and best facilities deserve the very best coach. Since money appears to not be an issue then open up the wallet and get the best coach we can get. 

Idk them concrete bleachers been man makers and developing speed for about 40 years now.  May not wanna get rid of em.

21 minutes ago, bobbymcgee said:

That would not be the right move here…

what WO-S needs to do is: 

1) hire a proper professional superintendent 

2) let supt hire the best football coach available 

3) support said supt and football coach/AD and get out of the way 

I think that's a good plan. That shouldn't be to much to ask for.