Crosby 2023

Cougar14.2

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If you come to the scrimmage tomorrow he'll be wearing #13. He ran with the #1 offense on Saturday during the scrimmage and stood out because he dropped a TD Eudy put right on his facemask. I would upload the HUDL film but you can't load pics and videos on here. 

Right now in the first two groups at receiver are Hammer(#21) and Samuel(#13) as the starters, Holman(#22 but #25 from last year), Brandt Wright(#1) and Odie(#12 BH transfer from Anahuac). 

I might have to come check it out. Just going off what the dad is saying on his FB post from 2 days ago (August 14) were the kid is wearing #17. But I will go with what you say, I am not that close to the program anymore.

9 minutes ago, Concerned Citizen said:

I might have to come check it out. Just going off what the dad is saying on his FB post from 2 days ago (August 14) were the kid is wearing #17. But I will go with what you say, I am not that close to the program anymore.

Those are just pics from their media days in their game jerseys. Some of them wear different numbers in practice jerseys. He easily stands out because he still wears the black cleats and gloves from his GCM days. If you zoom in on the pic in the bottom left corner you can see #13 with “Samuel” written across his helmet in red tape. 

This is the hidden content, please

19 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Those are just pics from their media days in their game jerseys. Some of them wear different numbers in practice jerseys. He easily stands out because he still wears the black cleats and gloves from his GCM days. If you zoom in on the pic in the bottom left corner you can see #13 with “Samuel” written across his helmet in red tape. 

This is the hidden content, please

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

Scrimmage notes: 

Freshman looked solid as expected. They would be great if they still had at least one of their QBs and the receiver. Going to be a fun group to watch grow over the season. If we get some QB play this could be the class that takes us where we want to go. 

JV got killed but that was kind of expected too. We had 40, they had 80. Again, no real QB play in the program after Eudy. I think they’ll be ok once they get into district play, lots of size down there. JV o-line may be in average bigger than the varsity o-line. Going to have a lot of size in the trenches when those kids make it to varsity 

Varsity was 1-0 in the controlled portion. Lamar had a big pass play on their first drive and scored in about 6 plays. Crosby had an opportunity to make it 1–1 but turned it over on about a 7 yard slant pass where the receiver fell down in the endzone. Moved it ok on that drive, Yarbrough had a 47 yard carry. Game portion was 2-0 Lamar.

Crosby’s offense looked like it’s the first time we’ve ever ran those plays against another team. Talking to some of the players after the scrimmage and the consensus was that “we don’t know the plays” yet. First few weeks may look like 2019 in Coach P’s first season when we got 7 pre-snap penalties per game because we didn’t know how to line up and had receivers running into each other. It’s definitely not the wide open offense Crosby fans have been used to for the last decade or so. 

Defense is legit. With the new additions I was expecting us to definitely be better than last year but that performance tonight against those athletes has me thinking this is probably going to be one of the better defensive units Crosby has put on the field. Would’ve liked to see more out of the pass rush but it’s hard to ask for a better overall performance than they had tonight. If the offense could’ve given them anything at all tonight they probably would’ve only given up one TD in the game portion. Even the second TD they scored was kind of questionable because the QB’s weren’t live and on the 3rd and 20 play they hit to keep the drive alive the Anahuac transfer came off the edge and slapped the QB on the butt as he ran by. In a real game QB is probably coming out after the hit he would’ve taken. 

All in all the varsity scrimmage was decent. Still extremely disappointing the offense couldn’t capitalize on some good opportunities but hopefully it’s more of a 2012 type issue than a 2019 type issue moving forward. 

10 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Scrimmage notes: 

Freshman looked solid as expected. They would be great if they still had at least one of their QBs and the receiver. Going to be a fun group to watch grow over the season. If we get some QB play this could be the class that takes us where we want to go. 

JV got killed but that was kind of expected too. We had 40, they had 80. Again, no real QB play in the program after Eudy. I think they’ll be ok once they get into district play, lots of size down there. JV o-line may be in average bigger than the varsity o-line. Going to have a lot of size in the trenches when those kids make it to varsity 

Varsity was 1-0 in the controlled portion. Lamar had a big pass play on their first drive and scored in about 6 plays. Crosby had an opportunity to make it 1–1 but turned it over on about a 7 yard slant pass where the receiver fell down in the endzone. Moved it ok on that drive, Yarbrough had a 47 yard carry. Game portion was 2-0 Lamar.

Crosby’s offense looked like it’s the first time we’ve ever ran those plays against another team. Talking to some of the players after the scrimmage and the consensus was that “we don’t know the plays” yet. First few weeks may look like 2019 in Coach P’s first season when we got 7 pre-snap penalties per game because we didn’t know how to line up and had receivers running into each other. It’s definitely not the wide open offense Crosby fans have been used to for the last decade or so. 

Defense is legit. With the new additions I was expecting us to definitely be better than last year but that performance tonight against those athletes has me thinking this is probably going to be one of the better defensive units Crosby has put on the field. Would’ve liked to see more out of the pass rush but it’s hard to ask for a better overall performance than they had tonight. If the offense could’ve given them anything at all tonight they probably would’ve only given up one TD in the game portion. Even the second TD they scored was kind of questionable because the QB’s weren’t live and on the 3rd and 20 play they hit to keep the drive alive the Anahuac transfer came off the edge and slapped the QB on the butt as he ran by. In a real game QB is probably coming out after the hit he would’ve taken. 

All in all the varsity scrimmage was decent. Still extremely disappointing the offense couldn’t capitalize on some good opportunities but hopefully it’s more of a 2012 type issue than a 2019 type issue moving forward. 

How did that Samual (#13 or 17) kid do at WR? Asking for a friend.

52 minutes ago, Concerned Citizen said:

How did that Samual (#13 or 17) kid do at WR? Asking for a friend.

He wore #2, safety and played pretty decent. Didn’t get any run at receiver, nor did the BH/Anahuac transfer get much? Lots of kids played on defense but the offensive rotation was kind of tight for a scrimmage. Wright is really the only player that has been playing both ways in camp and the inter-squad scrimmage and got meaningful snaps both ways against Lamar. 

23 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

He wore #2, safety and played pretty decent. Didn’t get any run at receiver, nor did the BH/Anahuac transfer get much? Lots of kids played on defense but the offensive rotation was kind of tight for a scrimmage. Wright is really the only player that has been playing both ways in camp and the inter-squad scrimmage and got meaningful snaps both ways against Lamar. 

Crosby culture just can't get out of its own way, daddy ball 2.0.... I got it, I know what you may say.... But when the asst AD son is starting at WR as a SOPH, that's daddy ball esp when you have other capable athletes. Varsity FB is tough for underclassmen very few perform good on that level as a 10th grader. Even that state run 2021 class, many of those kids didn't make a mark until their 11 and 12 grade years.

The team played a 6A team that went 2 deep into the playoffs last year.Lamar returns 33 this year with 8 returners on offense and 6 on defense.Crosby returns 17 this year with 5 returners on offense and 4 on defense.With these numbers the scrimmage was an OK showing for Crosby.More impressed with the defense showing, which is normal with a change of coaching and only 4 returnees.Transfers Evans and Birks had a nice start to the Cougar defense.Offense is always behind the defense, it will take a little time to adjust to the new scheme.They will probably not go up against a better Defensive line as they faced last night until the playoffs.

The pieces are there, we'll see if the coaching staff can mold the team into a playoff bound team.I think they will. On to C.E.King next week, another 6A team with playoff experience.

1 hour ago, Concerned Citizen said:

Crosby culture just can't get out of its own way, daddy ball 2.0.... I got it, I know what you may say.... But when the asst AD son is starting at WR as a SOPH, that's daddy ball esp when you have other capable athletes. Varsity FB is tough for underclassmen very few perform good on that level as a 10th grader. Even that state run 2021 class, many of those kids didn't make a mark until their 11 and 12 grade years.

New coach may have a new philosophy? Definitely not a discussion you’re having under the old regime though, which is part of the reason they’re gone. Maybe the new philosophy is to scheme receivers open instead of getting it to them quick and letting them use their athleticism in space?

In the scrimmage yesterday the routes were long developing and Eudy had to hold it several times. One other thing that was noticeable after I watched the film this morning is that we often had only three in a route against 5/6 defenders vs the 4/5 kids we would have in a pattern in Coach P’s offense. That makes it even tougher to get open. 

You need to be great on the offensive line to run the style of offense being installed. When people were killing me this Summer for saying this style offense isn’t conducive to the players the Crosby community produces last night is what I was eluding to. Throw in the type stuff you touched on up top compounded with the missed opportunities we did have and that’s how you end up with 0 tds all night. Maybe we’re going to be a defensive team from now on though🤷🏾‍♂️

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

New coach may have a new philosophy? Definitely not a discussion you’re having under the old regime though, which is part of the reason they’re gone. Maybe the new philosophy is to scheme receivers open instead of getting it to them quick and letting them use their athleticism in space?

In the scrimmage yesterday the routes were long developing and Eudy had to hold it several times. One other thing that was noticeable after I watched the film this morning is that we often had only three in a route against 5/6 defenders vs the 4/5 kids we would have in a pattern in Coach P’s offense. That makes it even tougher to get open. 

You need to be great on the offensive line to run the style of offense being installed. When people were killing me this Summer for saying this style offense isn’t conducive to the players the Crosby community produces last night is what I was eluding to. Throw in the type stuff you touched on up top compounded with the missed opportunities we did have and that’s how you end up with 0 tds all night. Maybe we’re going to be a defensive team from now on though🤷🏾‍♂️

The offense will be beneficial for some and not others. Seems like it will be a run heavy offense, which is good for your son and Wesley. But for WRs it may not. Yeah Crosby has been used of the spread formation and putting up alot of points. Not sure about the talent mix, but in years past most of the studs were on offense (maybe to a fault). Therefore, the previous offenses were considered explosive and that's what the Code Red community will be expecting.

Bringing in a new coach (different offense) is always a gamble, as you stated the offense needs to fit the type of athletes. Hopefully in the coming weeks things will be figured out. Prieto started slow his first couple games, but..... he had studs on both sides of the ball and probably on the sidelines too. Not many coaches can say they had 2 legitimate QBs. Many say they have a QB thats dual threat, but having 2 kids that can line up behind center and get you 10-15 yards easily is special. As a defense it's a nightmare trying to prepare for 2 QBs, so I would say the Prieto had a different group and situation. 

Hopefully this coach proves otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

We actually got two, they both look pretty solid. 1 pt home win in a two point conversion has you thinking opposite trends, especially when we’ve played in BH 3 of the last 4 years? Y’all have played in 5A for what 20 years now, and finish 1 point away from 4th place in your district is peak success? Meanwhile the “opposite” trend fro crosby is finishing 8 points away from another district championship in a “down” year? Man BHFan, you’re holding our programs to different standards🤷🏾‍♂️

Lots of good nuggets in this thread 👀

On 8/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, BHFAN said:

14.2 is my entertainment as I watch the phased evolution of his outlook.

Phase 1 - Doubting that the coach can walk and chew gum at the same time

Phase 2- Screw it we’re moving to Dayton this is BS

Phase 3 - Meet with Coach and he’s ….ok maybe we win 2 games

Phase 4- (current phase) Recruiting season begins and kids from around the state flock to Crosby.

Phase 5- (entering this phase) Practices begin everyone is huge, fast and better than any team in the past. We might just win 5 games

Phase 6- Beatdown from King lowers expectations, but King is the best team in the country so who knows

Phase 7 - plays well against FBM …. We may just make it to state …hell yeah

Phase 8- (Final Phase) beats Lee to death then gets embarrassed by BH at home. 14.2 exits the board till playoffs.

Dallas Cowboys of Harris County

I blew this. They died before phase 7. Phase 8 though is still partially in play 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Just concerned about 14. … been crickets(no pun intended) from that guy this week. Just a few thoughts on where he could be.

1. His computer was so loaded down with dead eagles, rice farms, and oilfield scum memes he’s working tirelessly to delete them all.. 

2. He’s on a nation wide recruiting tour handing out gift cards to the Crawfish shack and singing the praises of a 4 day school week. (transfers are key)

3. That little $35M squat isn’t going so well…he’s sitting in that red building trying to figure out how to tell his boss( probably a BH alumni) those 3” 150 gasket he forget to order are now back ordered and won’t be here for another 3 weeks.. 

if spotted please call 1-800-up-tempo-flopper