Trump Pledges Executive Order on ‘Day One’ of Presidency to End Birthright Citizenship for Illegal Aliens, ‘Birth Tourism’!

Reagan

All Trump has to do is change the Fourteenth Amendment.

As the Navy Captain said in the movie G I Jane while talking to a senator who was complaining about people taking photos from a public highway….. he would gladly stop them from taking photos… if she could just, “Trim a little fat off the Constitution”. 

I think that birthright citizenship is wrong, but….. it’s in the Constitution.

I don’t think the way it has developed is likely the way it was intended but….. it’s in the Constitution. 

16 hours ago, tvc184 said:

As the Navy Captain said in the movie G I Jane while talking to a senator who was complaining about people taking photos from a public highway….. he would gladly stop them from taking photos… if she could just, “Trim a little fat off the Constitution”. 

I don’t think the way it has developed is likely the way it was intended but….. it’s in the Constitution. 

I thought the same thing.  He can't do that... period.

16 hours ago, tvc184 said:

It has definitely been misinterpreted, but here we are.

22 hours ago, tvc184 said:

From what I've gathered so far, is that Trump feels it needs to brought to the Supreme Court and ruled on.  As I see it, the original intent has been perverted.  One example I heard talked about:  People from China coming over, having their baby and immediately leaving with a U.S. Birth Certificate.  Anyone actually think this would fall under the 14th Amendment as original intent?  I would like to see a ruling on it.  

6 minutes ago, Reagan said:

From what I've gathered so far, is that Trump feels it needs to brought to the Supreme Court and ruled on.  As I see it, the original intent has been perverted.  One example I heard talked about:  People from China coming over, having their baby and immediately leaving with a U.S. Birth Certificate.  Anyone actually think this would fall under the 14th Amendment as original intent?  I would like to see a ruling on it.  

I said that I don’t agree with it. The intent was to free slaves.

it has already been decided however. If a person is born on US soil, he/she/they is a citizen  

I really don’t think the Supreme Court will grant certiorari. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

I said that I don’t agree with it. The intent was to free slaves.

it has already been decided however. If a person is born on US soil, he/she/they is a citizen  

I really don’t think the Supreme Court will grant certiorari. 

I've heard that it was widely hailed as an incentive for people to immigrate here years and years ago when the country was largely undeveloped and we were needing strong backs and simple minds.  Keep in mind that in the same time frame that this was passed, we were giving chunks of land away across the country to anybody wanting to homestead the place.  We needed immigrants at the time.

Still do, but just not errrbody.  

42 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I've heard that it was widely hailed as an incentive for people to immigrate here years and years ago when the country was largely undeveloped and we were needing strong backs and simple minds.  Keep in mind that in the same time frame that this was passed, we were giving chunks of land away across the country to anybody wanting to homestead the place.  We needed immigrants at the time.

Still do, but just not errrbody.  

I believe that is revisionist history.

The 13th, 14th and 15th amendments were all passed within 4 years after the Civil War with the intent to grant the freedom from slavery, citizenship and the right to vote for former slaves.

I don’t think they randomly and right in the middle of the amendments, tossed in a citizenship right to unknown people who weren’t here yet. In fact immigration and the fleeing to the US was done without any guarantee of citizenship.

Those three amendments were about righting the wrongs from slavery, not luring people to America.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I believe that is revisionist history.

The 13th, 14th and 15th amendments were all passed within 4 years after the Civil War with the intent to grant the freedom from slavery, citizenship and the right to vote for former slaves.

I don’t think they randomly and right in the middle of the amendments, tossed in a citizenship right to unknown people who weren’t here yet. In fact immigration and the fleeing to the US was done without any guarantee of citizenship.

Those three amendments were about righting the wrongs from slavery, not luring people to America.

Follow me here… after slavery ended, they needed people who were willing to work. They intended to use immigrants to replace slave labor. And that’s kinda what happened. 

10 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Follow me here… after slavery ended, they needed people who were willing to work. They intended to use immigrants to replace slave labor. And that’s kinda what happened. 

Yeah, I follow your attempt at logic.

The 13, 14 and 15 amendments were about slavery.

Millions of people immigrated to this country as a beacon of freedom as in the mass of immigrants at Ellis Island and other immigrant processing locations.  They were not citizens when they arrived and would have come anyway for a chance at prosperity.

Are you suggesting that the world trying to beat a path to America was because their future children might have citizenship?

Finally and most importantly, Article I of the Constitution give only Congress the complete authority to regulate immigration and naturalization (citizenship). There was no need for an amendment for birthright citizenship. They could have simply given citizenship to anyone at any time by legislation. They didn’t need the 13 Amendment.

By making it an amendment, it could not be taken away from former slaves by future legislation. If the 13 Amendment never existed, Congress could still grant citizenship to anyone it wishes. There was never a need to an amendment to grant citizenship to anyone. 

The 13, like the 14 and 15, was about correcting the wrongs of slavery, not an incentive to try and lure people to this country…. while people were beating on the door to get in.