Good genes in WOS,Newton,Lamarque, and Dayton!!!

Guest gladiator2

Guest gladiator2

I always seem to notice familiar last names on current teams from years back. My wife asked me a question when we were going to a game about how can a team from a town this small always be good every year. My response was that it was in their genes from their grandfathers,fathers,mothers,uncles,aunts, and other family members. I told her that their ancestors was good and their genes were just past down from one generation to the next. It's unbelievable how it works but that is the answer. She was thinking that it was the coaches or that families were moving in to their area because they wanted to be part of a winning team. I told her GENES,GENES, AND MORE GENES!!!

I always seem to notice familiar last names on current teams from years back. My wife asked me a question when we were going to a game about how can a team from a town this small always be good every year. My response was that it was in their genes from their grandfathers,fathers,mothers,uncles,aunts, and other family members. I told her that their ancestors was good and their genes were just past down from one generation to the next. It's unbelievable how it works but that is the answer. She was thinking that it was the coaches or that families were moving in to their area because they wanted to be part of a winning team. I told her GENES,GENES, AND MORE GENES!!!

yeah WO-S always have good athletes every year

Pee Wee football also helps.......

When I was in school, football was not available until the 7th grade. But in elementary school we all knew we were going to play because it was such a big deal in the community. When I got to 7th grade and finally able to play, we expected to win because the teams before us always did. So, tradition plays a huge part in it too.

The other thing I think, is the program and how it is run at a younger age. In 7th grade we learned blocking rules and executed about 5 or 6 plays. When we got good at those we applied the same rules to a few more plays and on and on. In the 8th grade we probably had 10-15 plays all based off what we learned in 7th. By the time we were playing varsity ball we were still running the same plays with the same blocking rules but just more complex and with a greater variety.

I heard a coach once say that his best coaches are at the jr high level. Teaching fundamentals and the basics. Maybe genes have a deal to do with it also.  ;D

I grew up in Newton, and I don't think its genes is all that makes a great team.  At Newton, you have Curtis Barbay, a proven successful coach with a winning tradition.  I think people are attracted to schools with winning traditions so their kids will be part of the program.  There are families there, but not everyone of them are good in sports, etc.  Now, transplanted to PNG, with Matt Burnnett, I see a lot of kids caught up in the tradition of the programs.  I really think the coaching staff, fan support, etc.....has a lot to do with it. Genes, maybe, but not totally.

Go Eagles !

Scalp 'em, NDN's!

It's true to some degree, but a lot of it is the staffs at those schools. We do tend to always have a Franks, though.

But if you go to a Jasper game and don't see several Bronsons, Limbricks, etc... something's wrong.

True.  There are four Bronsons on this years Jasper team, and they are all forces with which to reckon.  And don't forget the Hadnots, Adams, and Spikes, as well as Scotts from years past .....

P4E, just curious, what was the Freshman and JV records for Dayton this year?

I am not sure.

I know they lost some.

The 9th and 10th grade groups did very good in junior high, but they were lacking the "breakaway" speed that the varsity team has had for the last 4 or 5 years.  The best two groups that have gone through Dayton back to back are now currently the juniors and seniors.  I wouldn't go too much on the freshmen and jv records because many of the quality sophomores are on varsity.  There is much more speed right now at the junior high level, but they won't be impacting varsity for a few more years.

Over the last decade I very seriously doubt there is any team in this area that has had the junior high football record that Dayton has had.  With 4 teams playing 10 games a year I bet the overall record would be about 380 and 20 (maybe even less than 20 losses).  They had several years where every squad went undefeated.  Dayton has been blessed to have a solid coaching staff that hasn't had much turnover.  I am very glad I have a son going through this system and that the coaches in Dayton will be impacting him.

To the topic of this thread....

genes help, but the tradition of winning produced by season after season of going to the playoffs just makes the kids at all levels play much harder.  When you start the game believing you are going to win, that is way over half the battle, no matter how much talent you have.

Just ask Lumberton this year....

The Raiders really believe they will win the game at kick off.

You can't underestimate what that kind of attitude has in the game.

If they can play LaMarque close in the first half, they have a really good shot at winning this week.

I you attend two a days at WOS, especially the day they go one on one, there are young kids watching wide-eyed with enthusiasm.  They want to grow up to be Mustangs.

That basically is the goal of every varsity coach in the state.

To build a program where the young kids have a dream of being on the varsity team.

Very few programs have this.

genes help but it is coaching coaching coaching
I totally agree with you on that one.  Great athletes need great coaches...you're only as strong as the weakest link.As for the familiarity...we're seeing alot of kids from 7th grade to 12 grade whose fathers were on one/both of the '86-'87 State Championship Teams and the '88 State Finalist Team.  I think that pretty much anywhere you go, you are going to see kids of athletes who played 18+ years ago...

It starts with genes and family,but you still need a good coach to put it all together.You can have genes running all over the field,but if they aint on the right page all you got is genes running all over the field.All these schools mentioned including PNG stay on top, some have new HC this year and they still roll. Chemistry or just simple football,every team in the area has genes,but how many of them have Chemist to put it together every year? We need one,Jag fan! 

I asked my son once why were they so successful as a team(he started 3 years with C Ambes in teh mid 90's). He said that every time they step on that field they just BELIEVED that they were going to win the game. It was confidence with the proper attitude. Believing is a big part a programs success, from top to bottom.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin