Lamar Baseball 2023

snakehead26

2 hours ago, snakehead26 said:

Struggled to close out the 9th. Headed in with a 9-4 lead and finished wining 9-7 stranding Nicholls' runners on 1st and 3rd.

Nice win after the tough loss last night.

Game started out as though it would be extremely high scoring early and with the low humidity and light north wind it was the perfect for that to happen. The 3 homeruns (2 for LU) today were hit hard no doubters and several lazy fly balls crowded the warning track.  The score was a bit high, but it could have easily been double digit scoring for both squads. 

As you stated, a nice win but a little more excitement at the end than the home team and crowd wanted. 

Cards lose 2 of 3 to Nichols at home. The fabulous pitching staff surrendered 20 runs, allowing 44 hits and yes the offense sputtered today. What are they going to do when they face the top 3 teams all on the road? My 12-12 conference prediction may be a little high, it may be more like 10-14. They simply have an extremely weak pitching staff

25 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

37 innings of baseball and 20 runs is quite decent. That's an average of 3.78 runs per nine.  That's actually top notch. I'll take that horrible pitching squad and compete with them any day. The offense was lacking this weekend, but it's baseball.  

There is no place on this board for your facts and logic. 

Today's game had 3 earned runs.  One simply because scoring doesn't allow for an error on a double play attempt.  The batter that eventually scored the 1st run of the game reached only due to an errant throw. Several seeing eye ground balls. The pitching was more than adequate today. The position players for Lamar would likely tell you today's loss was in their hands not the pitchers. 

No matter what one may think of the pitching staff, today's game should have been won and the hitters/position players are surely still upset with their performance at the plate. 

I am sure that you are correct about position players and hitters, however correct me if I am wrong but stats show pitchers gave up 11 hits today, 14 yesterday, and 19 in the 1st game, so I will simply disagree about the pitching staff. 1st 9 games probably pretty good, since them not very good, however offense has not done much lately either. That is why their record since the 1st 9 games is 6-11

The pitching certainly may be better than last year, however it appears as of now unless things change that the season record will be better last season vs this season

If the pitching is better this year, which it certainly may be,as you stated, that means that it was horrible last season

Another loss tonight. If they continue to pitch tonight’s losing pitcher they will struggle winning. He simply is not pitching well at all and yes the hitters are continuing to struggle as well. The way they are playing now, I am now thinking 27-28 for the season before conference tournament (hopefully they will make it there) and 11-13 in conference It can certainly be better if they can get it together 

Well I see this excellent pitching staff gave up a bunch of runs and many runs vs Northwestern tonight as they continue to take a nose dive in the conference standing. They are about 2 series away from being dead last. Looks like Davis and Cards are going to finish the season with a losing record and may not make it to the conference tournament the way they are playing since going 9-0 at the start of the season. 8-12 since then and 3-4 conference 

Davis does it again in game #3 vs Northwestern The Cards are up 4-2 bottom of 7th and Davis puts in 2 relief pitchers that have shown time after time that they can’t get the job done. I don’t understand why he puts them in, I guess he likes getting beat. Lamar’s pitching staff is struggling badly After 9 conference games, are close to being cellar dwellers. They will probably be 18-17 after the TCU game and 5-7 in conference 

Well I see that fabulous pitching staff did it again. Davis again puts 2 relievers in that can’t get the job done. I noticed 1 of them has an 80 something ERA and he continues pitching him and he continues getting shelled. 18-14 now and probably 19-17 after TCU and 5-7 conference after this weekend’s series. Do not be surprised if they wind up with a losing record and are sitting at home during the conference tournament 

Johnny "whole staff " in a week day game is beyond common.  Lamar must win the conference tournament to get to the post season at this point. Thus, why not utilize multiple arms in a weekday game is how most if not all coaches would view it.  Definitely not a good idea to extend one of your top arms prior to a weekend conference series. I would enjoy a good conversation about baseball, but if an overwhelming majority of your posts are negative you can have this portion of the forum.  

Just stating facts. Lamar is not playing well in all phases of the game right now. They are not hitting well, not pitching well, and not scoring enough runs to win games. call these comments negative if you want but they are facts. I simply think Lamar can’t recruit well and on the negative side Davis has not done well since he has been there. The pitching staff may be better than last year as you have stated, however it is not good by any means 

10 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Johnny "whole staff " in a week day game is beyond common.  Lamar must win the conference tournament to get to the post season at this point. Thus, why not utilize multiple arms in a weekday game is how most if not all coaches would view it.  Definitely not a good idea to extend one of your top arms prior to a weekend conference series. I would enjoy a good conversation about baseball, but if an overwhelming majority of your posts are negative you can have this portion of the forum.  

You just have to come to the understanding that spidersal is a "glass half empty" kind of guy no matter what the situation is.

Got to be miserable living that way.