Lamar Baseball 2023

snakehead26

After last night, it appears UIW is the team to support if you're a Lamar fan.  There are other scenarios that could get them out of the play-in game, but a sweep by Lamar and UIW and AMC splitting the final 2 games does it. 

Quite sure those of you that follow this thread know I mention a sweep for Lamar because it ensures you also move past McNeese in the standings. 

Differrnt note, if McNeese were to lose in the play-in game there will be a very low attendance total for the tournament.   With McNeese holding hosting rights for several years a one site format is set, but truly wish the conference could return to last years set up for the tournament.  The McNeese vs Southeastern 3 game series for the championship drew really good crowds last year. 

3 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

After last night, it appears UIW is the team to support if you're a Lamar fan.  There are other scenarios that could get them out of the play-in game, but a sweep by Lamar and UIW and AMC splitting the final 2 games does it. 

Quite sure those of you that follow this thread know I mention a sweep for Lamar because it ensures you also move past McNeese in the standings. 

Differrnt note, if McNeese were to lose in the play-in game there will be a very low attendance total for the tournament.   With McNeese holding hosting rights for several years a one site format is set, but truly wish the conference could return to last years set up for the tournament.  The McNeese vs Southeastern 3 game series for the championship drew really good crowds last year. 

I liked last year's format in the SLC. The top two teams were rewarded with a 4 team elimination at home to try to reach the finals. Then the remaining best team got the championship at their field. It gives the best teams during the season a little better odds of following through in the tournament. Under current format this will always give McNeese a bit of an advantage. The other teams receive no advantage other than playing a lower seed in their first round game.

Still a ton of scenarios left for the seedings even with two games left but yours will work. We just need to take care of our own business by winning our final two.

20 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

If and I mean a big IF...if all scores in the conference remain with the team leading right now.... 4 way tie for 3rd and UIW 1 game ahead going in to tomorrow.   Again, a big if. 

Yes, and then if those 4 tied teams all win tomorrow it would be a five way tie including UIW. So I'll be waiting for your presentation of all the tiebreaker possibilities later tonight.

The IF has happened.  4 way tie for 3rd. Snakehead mentioned there could be a 5 way tie.  Not about to attempt to figure it all out, but Lamar's record against the other 4 is 5-7.  Not sure how that would play out against the others in a tiebreaker situation  Main goal is win tomorrow and there is a good chance they avoid the play-in game. 

15 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Another nice win for Lamar. Now hopefully a seeep tomorrow to be 13-11 and at least move ahead of McNeese. The only one above 7th that they took series is Northwestern, so I don’t know if that would put Lamar 6th or better 

Was posting at the same time as you.  Win and need one of the other 3 they are tied with to lose. That's the best scenario.  Will it happen????

Anyone with a prediction?  

I'm saying a Lamar win and 1 team losing (not bold enough to predict the team) they are tied with giving Lamar a top 5 seed.  Based on Lamar's record against teams they likely tie (not studying it closely), they end up as the 5 seed if only 1 of the other tied teams does take a loss. 

In this conference, this year, not sure anything but the 1 seed gives much of an advantage. 

3 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Anyone with a prediction?  

I'm saying a Lamar win and 1 team losing (not bold enough to predict the team) they are tied with giving Lamar a top 5 seed.  Based on Lamar's record against teams they likely tie (not studying it closely), they end up as the 5 seed if only 1 of the other tied teams does take a loss. 

In this conference, this year, not sure anything but the 1 seed gives much of an advantage. 

Agree on your calculation but don't know if my trying to interpret the tiebreaker is correct. First, we need to win today and in the 4th inning we are looking pretty shaky.

Anyway if we win and at least one of the teams we are currently tied with loses we get no worse than 5th seed.

However, if we win and all the teams we are currently tied with also win we would get that 5 team tie I joked about yesterday.

Then head to head between the five would be this:

AMCC 8-4

Northwestern 7-5

Lamar, New Orleans, and UIW 5-7.

At that point i am assuming you give AMCC and Northwestern the 2 and 3 seed.

Then you would check Lamar, NO, and UIW record against each other and it would be 3-3.  So then i go to record against highest seeds and both New Orleans and UIW are 2-1 versus Nicholls while Lamar is 1-2 so they would get the 4 and 5 seed and Lamar would be 6th.