Chinese company's North Dakota corn mill project struck down by Grand Forks, prompting cheers of 'USA!'

LumRaiderFan

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

Officials in Grand Forks, North Dakota, have voted to strike down a Chinese company's proposed corn mill after the U.S. Air Force said its proximity to a military base would pose a national security risk. 

The 5-0 unanimous vote Monday night from the Grand Forks City Council surrounding the Fufeng Group project was met with cheers and chants of "USA!" from the public in attendance. 

Prior to the meeting, Grand Forks Mayor Brandon Bochenski, during an interview on "The Story with Martha MacCallum," told Fox News that the city had options to "basically deny infrastructure and deny building permits. 

"So they have the land, but they have no ability to build anything on it," he added. 

2 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

Officials in Grand Forks, North Dakota, have voted to strike down a Chinese company's proposed corn mill after the U.S. Air Force said its proximity to a military base would pose a national security risk. 

The 5-0 unanimous vote Monday night from the Grand Forks City Council surrounding the Fufeng Group project was met with cheers and chants of "USA!" from the public in attendance. 

Prior to the meeting, Grand Forks Mayor Brandon Bochenski, during an interview on "The Story with Martha MacCallum," told Fox News that the city had options to "basically deny infrastructure and deny building permits. 

"So they have the land, but they have no ability to build anything on it," he added. 

Does JoeBama know the Air Force said this about his beloved china?

58 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

Libs and Dems, don’t you all think this is a good thing?

It was the right thing to do in this case, if in fact the Air Force made that assessment.  Otherwise, what happened to the free market, folks?  Willing sellers negotiating with willing buyers is the backbone of capitalism. Where do you draw the line? Gonna start a black list of banned nations? Who picks? Blanket bans aren’t good, unless we are at war, and even then it’s testy in a democracy. It’s just a step closer to internment camps.

1 minute ago, UT alum said:

It was the right thing to do in this case, if in fact the Air Force made that assessment.  Otherwise, what happened to the free market, folks?  Willing sellers negotiating with willing buyers is the backbone of capitalism. Where do you draw the line? Gonna start a black list of banned nations? Who picks? Blanket bans aren’t good, unless we are at war, and even then it’s testy in a democracy. It’s just a step closer to internment camps.

What is wrong with banning a communist country from buying up land?  Denying them will help keep our country a democracy.  I don’t really see the issue.

12 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Says the guy who wants to tax wealth, lol.

13 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

In one thread you want to tax wealth, not just income, and in this thread you see no problem in communists buying up property, just thought the pattern was interesting.

I see no problem with legal business transactions. Capital is capital. So what, anyway? When their economy tanks we’ll buy it all back like when Japan cratered. 

34 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

So you’re willing to put our National Security in the hands of 5 officials in Grand Forks, North Dakota?

I thought they were acting on info provided by the Air Force. And yeah, I believe in local control. Funny how things flip over time. Republican mantra used to be local control. Now, they want big brother telling us what to read, how to teach - you know, the stuff local school boards used to have autonomy over.  

6 minutes ago, UT alum said:

I thought they were acting on info provided by the Air Force. And yeah, I believe in local control. Funny how things flip over time. Republican mantra used to be local control. Now, they want big brother telling us what to read, how to teach - you know, the stuff local school boards used to have autonomy over.  

So would you be ok with the same folks voting to not allow a mosque to be built on private property owned by Saudi Arabia because they are afraid muslim extemists could possibly threaten National Security.  

7 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

So would you be ok with the same folks voting to not allow a mosque to be built on private property owned by Saudi Arabia because they are afraid muslim extemists could possibly threaten National Security.  

I think that would violate the First Anendment, so no.

8 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Unless the group was tied to Taliban or Al Quaeda or other groups designated as terrorize actors by State Dept, or whoever so designates.

1 minute ago, UT alum said:

Unless the group was tied to Taliban or Al Quaeda or other groups designated as terrorize actors by State Dept, or whoever so designates.

That’s my point, I’m for local control as well but there are times when the good folks in towns like Grand Forks, North Dakota may not see the big picture.  It seems they could have overridden the advice of the Air Force with a vote and that’s concerning to me.  

22 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Dealing with another country in my opinion falls on the fed not local

With another country, maybe, but not an investor from another country. If BMW wants to build a plant in Silsbee, the fed should oversee that? I don’t think so.

7 hours ago, UT alum said:

With another country, maybe, but not an investor from another country. If BMW wants to build a plant in Silsbee, the fed should oversee that? I don’t think so.

You may want to read up on China s government and all what they control especially investors in foreign landS.  Don’t be naive 

16 hours ago, UT alum said:

If BMW was controlled by a communist country that is an enemy to the US, then, yes, they should get involved.  Don't you think?!  You don't think it's odd that china is buying farm land in the US?