Chinese company's North Dakota corn mill project struck down by Grand Forks, prompting cheers of 'USA!'

LumRaiderFan

29 minutes ago, Reagan said:

If BMW was controlled by a communist country that is an enemy to the US, then, yes, they should get involved.  Don't you think?!  You don't think it's odd that china is buying farm land in the US?

It ain’t that simple. They own one half of one percent of U.S. farmland. Many foreign companies and investors own farmland here, and a lot more than that. So no, in light of a global economy, it’s not odd. It’s economics. Throwing xenophobia on the issue is just slinging Molotov cocktails thinking it’ll fix everything. 

This is the hidden content, please

4 minutes ago, UT alum said:

It ain’t that simple. They own one half of one percent of U.S. farmland. Many foreign companies and investors own farmland here, and a lot more than that. So no, in light of a global economy, it’s not odd. It’s economics. Throwing xenophobia on the issue is just slinging Molotov cocktails thinking it’ll fix everything. 

This is the hidden content, please

So, let me get this straight -- if a country is communist and an avowed enemy of the United States and one is questioning if this makes sense then it becomes racist?   I'm going to give you a chance to walk that back.  Why?  Because as I always say, when the other side is losing an argument then, as a last resort, they holler "racism"!  

18 hours ago, Reagan said:

So, let me get this straight -- if a country is communist and an avowed enemy of the United States and one is questioning if this makes sense then it becomes racist?   I'm going to give you a chance to walk that back.  Why?  Because as I always say, when the other side is losing an argument then, as a last resort, they holler "racism"!  

Exactly right.

20 hours ago, Reagan said:

Xenophobia is not racism. Check your dictionary.

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

China has proven itself.  Call it what you like. And it’s not the citizens but the govt.

yes I have an issue with communist countries PERIOD.

who would want to do business with a shady person/country?  NO ONE unless they themselves are of the same mindset.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

I know what it means:  the fear of foreigners.  Like I said -- racism.  Now, I'm sure that the University Of Texas teaches that racism only flows one way, white to black.  So, I can understand the confusion!  (Grin)

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

I know what it means:  the fear of foreigners.  Like I said -- racism.  Now, I'm sure that the University Of Texas teaches that racism only flows one way, white to black.  So, I can understand the confusion!  (Grin)

A German is a foreigner. A Russian, a Finn, a Swede, a Brit et cetera et cetera et cetera ad nauseum. Xenophobia is not racism. Conflating them is a racist tool used to confuse and disrupt constructive discourse on the topic. Shorthand for “be afraid”.

14 minutes ago, UT alum said:

A German is a foreigner. A Russian, a Finn, a Swede, a Brit et cetera et cetera et cetera ad nauseum. Xenophobia is not racism. Conflating them is a racist tool used to confuse and disrupt constructive discourse on the topic. Shorthand for “be afraid”.

When our side complains about the border being illegally invaded by foreigners, then your side says we feel this way because of racism.  So, what you have opined has nothing to do with the "fear" of foreigners.  If you "fear" foreigners then, yes, it's racism.  

50 minutes ago, Reagan said:

When our side complains about the border being illegally invaded by foreigners, then your side says we feel this way because of racism.  So, what you have opined has nothing to do with the "fear" of foreigners.  If you "fear" foreigners then, yes, it's racism.  

Well, I don’t agree with my side on that one.  Everyone uses it as a wedge, with no apparent  regard for the need to heal. Webster’s dictionary defines racism as:  “A belief that race is a fundamental determinant oh human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race”.  Now, I have had many many conversations about race with African Americans in my 68 years, and have yet to hear one argue that they are superior.  Their desire is to be regarded as equal.  That is not to say that there isn’t prejudice among blacks against whites, but that is distinctly different from racism.  I’ve heard plenty of whites in my 68 years voice the opinion that a black person is not their equal, no how no way. These distinctions are important if there is to be any constructive debate about our differences and similarities.  Now it can’t even be talked about in school.  Sad.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:56 AM, 5GallonBucket said:

China has proven itself.  Call it what you like. And it’s not the citizens but the govt.

yes I have an issue with communist countries PERIOD.

who would want to do business with a shady person/country?  NO ONE unless they themselves are of the same mindset.

I guarantee if you own many t-shirts, you got a couple were made in Vietnam. We have a fairly robust and equitable trade relationship with them. It’s a communist government. So what, there are shady communists and trustworthy communists? Or you think we should sever relations because of their form of government?

4 hours ago, UT alum said:

I guarantee if you own many t-shirts, you got a couple were made in Vietnam. We have a fairly robust and equitable trade relationship with them. It’s a communist government. So what, there are shady communists and trustworthy communists? Or you think we should sever relations because of their form of government?

The topic is China and I meant what I said about communist countries.

Again the topic is China.  Let me repeat. They ve proven themselves….so why allow them to buy any land. It’s not that hard of a concept.

never said anything about severing relations.

im sure there is someone in your family you trust less than say another family member. It’s real simple….

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

The topic is China and I meant what I said about communist countries.

Again the topic is China.  Let me repeat. They ve proven themselves….so why allow them to buy any land. It’s not that hard of a concept.

never said anything about severing relations.

im sure there is someone in your family you trust less than say another family member. It’s real simple….

Yeah, so I ban them from the Thanksgiving table. Whatever…
As to topic, you said, “I have an issue with communist countries period”, if China’s the topic, you were off it.

49 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Yeah, so I ban them from the Thanksgiving table. Whatever…
As to topic, you said, “I have an issue with communist countries period”, if China’s the topic, you were off it.

where did you get your education.  

I was never off the topic of China I actually said…..China has proven itself….and then I said I have issues with communist countries

go read it again