SETX Officiating - A Victim of an Official Shortage or an Epidemic of Incompetence

gogo1734

I watch at least 3-4 HS games per week. Been doing so for many years now.  Same chapter officials for the most part. What I notice from a large portion of the SETX Chapter is the willingness and blatant disregard for consistency and fairness. There are some good and fair referees. But there are some over the top guys like the weather guy from Channel 6 is my case in point. Probably should be doing sub varsity games only. I've been in 5 games he has refereed this year and he is by far the most inconsistent and biased referee in the chapter. Maybe it's just he's new but last night he refereed WOS/BC and seriously had 75% of the calls. He had 2 veteran referees in the crew and they were typical on their calls. Not great but not terrible. But this guy...wow...even at one time the WOS fans chanted "take his whistle".  The referees have a tough job but honestly its a lot of self endured pain. Again, there are some good referees in this Chapter but some really rotten ones too. Just because they are veterans doesn't give them a pass on inconsistent calls and  biased officiating. Some of those guys are really rotten at times too. Calling fouls on a player, giving the score table the wrong number is seriously incompetent and unacceptable. Having to huddle up as a crew after several calls in a row and decide who the foul is on, makes you scratch your head. Just makes the officials look bad. Again, tough job they have but definitely they can relieve some of their pain with additonal training and consistency.

1 hour ago, cb3plus3 said:

I watch at least 3-4 HS games per week. Been doing so for many years now.  Same chapter officials for the most part. What I notice from a large portion of the SETX Chapter is the willingness and blatant disregard for consistency and fairness. There are some good and fair referees. But there are some over the top guys like the weather guy from Channel 6 is my case in point. Probably should be doing sub varsity games only. I've been in 5 games he has refereed this year and he is by far the most inconsistent and biased referee in the chapter. Maybe it's just he's new but last night he refereed WOS/BC and seriously had 75% of the calls. He had 2 veteran referees in the crew and they were typical on their calls. Not great but not terrible. But this guy...wow...even at one time the WOS fans chanted "take his whistle".  The referees have a tough job but honestly its a lot of self endured pain. Again, there are some good referees in this Chapter but some really rotten ones too. Just because they are veterans doesn't give them a pass on inconsistent calls and  biased officiating. Some of those guys are really rotten at times too. Calling fouls on a player, giving the score table the wrong number is seriously incompetent and unacceptable. Having to huddle up as a crew after several calls in a row and decide who the foul is on, makes you scratch your head. Just makes the officials look bad. Again, tough job they have but definitely they can relieve some of their pain with additonal training and consistency.

Last night during a girls basketball game, I saw a player (who I know personally) kindly tap an official on the shoulder to ask a question. He put his hand in her face and walked away. After that game I asked her what he said. This is what she told me…

”You can’t talk to me. You need to shut up.”

I get at some places these guys are treated bad, and I hate that for them. However, during this particular game, as bad of a job as they were doing hardly a word was said to these guys. Who holds this official accountable? Answer, no one. The kid has every right to ask a question. Especially when they genuinely want an answer so that they can correct themselves. What if the official came to the kid to say something (which happens often), and the kid had the same response the official did? She gets a T, coach most likely removes her from the game, and most coaches are going to make the kid run or something after the next practice. 

1 hour ago, cb3plus3 said:

I watch at least 3-4 HS games per week. Been doing so for many years now.  Same chapter officials for the most part. What I notice from a large portion of the SETX Chapter is the willingness and blatant disregard for consistency and fairness. There are some good and fair referees. But there are some over the top guys like the weather guy from Channel 6 is my case in point. Probably should be doing sub varsity games only. I've been in 5 games he has refereed this year and he is by far the most inconsistent and biased referee in the chapter. Maybe it's just he's new but last night he refereed WOS/BC and seriously had 75% of the calls. He had 2 veteran referees in the crew and they were typical on their calls. Not great but not terrible. But this guy...wow...even at one time the WOS fans chanted "take his whistle".  The referees have a tough job but honestly it’s a lot of self endured pain. Again, there are some good referees in this Chapter but some really rotten ones too. Just because they are veterans doesn't give them a pass on inconsistent calls and  biased officiating. Some of those guys are really rotten at times too. Calling fouls on a player, giving the score table the wrong number is seriously incompetent and unacceptable. Having to huddle up as a crew after several calls in a row and decide who the foul is on, makes you scratch your head. Just makes the officials look bad. Again, tough job they have but definitely they can relieve some of their pain with additonal training and consistency.

I understand your frustration, but let’s not name any particular official. I don’t want this thread to get locked up. It’s been a good place to “vent” after some of these things are happening. 

11 minutes ago, gogo1734 said:

I understand your frustration, but let’s not name any particular official. I don’t want this thread to get locked up. It’s been a good place to “vent” after some of these things are happening. 

I see people talk about individual coaches, players, etc on these threads. Why should calling out the referee be any different? If so, why is that? Isn't that really part of the issue with the chapter really? These guys don't get held accountable for their actions? I don't want to stop a thread either but if you are a coach, you get much worse treatment than this. 

1 minute ago, cb3plus3 said:

I see people talk about individual coaches, players, etc on these threads. Why should calling out the referee be any different? If so, why is that? Isn't that really part of the issue with the chapter really? These guys don't get held accountable for their actions? I don't want to stop a thread either but if you are a coach, you get much worse treatment than this. 

All true. I can’t argue with that at all.