BC problems? fix 'em!

Guest CardinalRed

We keep hearing about how young the team is and about how it will take some time. That is so true, but I watched the next to last game, (Hamphire Fanette), and it looked to me like all the time in the world may not be enough. The kids did hustle the whole game. I did not see any being lazy but I did see lacadaisal (SP) efforts by some. The receivers did not make a good enough effort to catch the ball unless it was thrown right at them. They can catch but if it is not right at them they seemed not to make an effort to try to reach for it. The quarterback is a strong kid with a good arm. He was not on target on some of his passes and that will take time and experience. If the quarterback and receivers work hard together this season they will improve a lot. They will have to spend time running routs and passing to them. On defense that is another story. The defense looked very weak. I actually saw a player on the kick off return for a touchdown that let the return man run right by him. He made no effort at all to try to tackle or even slow him down. I know his number and where he plays but I would not post it here. The defenders seemed to just watch the receivers and hardly ever turned around to see where the ball was thrown. Pretty hard to get a pic that way. Maybe that is the way they are being taught, I don't know. The defense definitely needs to be a lot better next year to have any kind of success. The kids need to get bigger and stronger so they really need to work during the off season. The off season started yesterday.

The fundementels of football is what BC needs over the summer.  Wrapping up a runner, following thru with the block, recievers blocking down field even when the play is away from them.  And most important get their heads screwed on right. IMO saying a team is young is ok for the lets say half a season.  But then you may not win anything but you should show some signs of fundementel football.  You have to want it to lean it. 

I think I spelled fundementels wrong???

From what I've heard they aren't wasting any time either.. taking care of business EARLY and arent't wasting valuable days..

if this is true then they ae doing the right thing...no need to wait...other than the defense the only other problem in my opinion is just having one running back...seems like # 4 was the running back 95% of the time..i am not saying he wasnt good but he ran the ball like 27 times againxt wos..that is nuts...he needed a break and if i am not mistaken he did that most everygame...he is a tough runner ..but i dont think that is wise to b=put a load like that on a young kid....surely they had someone to spell him every now and then

if this is true then they ae doing the right thing...no need to wait...other than the defense the only other problem in my opinion is just having one running back...seems like # 4 was the running back 95% of the time..i am not saying he wasnt good but he ran the ball like 27 times againxt wos..that is nuts...he needed a break and if i am not mistaken he did that most everygame...he is a tough runner ..but i dont think that is wise to b=put a load like that on a young kid....surely they had someone to spell him every now and then

One of the other runningbacks they were going to use got injured during thier inter-squad game before the season even started.. I think htye should've used that Wedekind boy more often though..

One of the other runningbacks they were going to use got injured during thier inter-squad game before the season even started.. I think htye should've used that Wedekind boy more often though..

I had trouble understanding why they put #4 on defense against Hardin-Jefferson we were winning late in the 4th Quarter.. You know he must've been worn out.. they ended up throwing it right over his head and beating them for the win  ???

From an outsider's perspective, the offense doesn't look like it's in as dire straits as the D. The offense is reasonably healthy (enough to win a few games), but the D is a gushing wound - with all due respect, the worst I've ever seen. I realize it's not their fault, but I'm being honest - not insulting. When you give up 54 points a game over the season and 59 in district, wholesale changes are in order. I realize two of their tougher games were in the last three, but they gave up a total of 201 points and an average of 540 yards over those three - instead of getting better with experience. Stump will earn his pay this offseason. I just hope that if he's able to fix it, he isn't chased out of town on some trivial crud.

Guest kvillecheer

Wasn't yall's team all juniors pretty much this year?

all juniors?? theres seriously nothing wrong with that. we have LOTS of Juniors on our Varsity. Sophomores and Juniors make up like 3/4's of our team..

We keep hearing about how young the team is and about how it will take some time. That is so true, but I watched the next to last game, (Hamphire Fanette), and it looked to me like all the time in the world may not be enough. The kids did hustle the whole game. I did not see any being lazy but I did see lacadaisal (SP) efforts by some. The receivers did not make a good enough effort to catch the ball unless it was thrown right at them. They can catch but if it is not right at them they seemed not to make an effort to try to reach for it. The quarterback is a strong kid with a good arm. He was not on target on some of his passes and that will take time and experience. If the quarterback and receivers work hard together this season they will improve a lot. They will have to spend time running routs and passing to them. On defense that is another story. The defense looked very weak. I actually saw a player on the kick off return for a touchdown that let the return man run right by him. He made no effort at all to try to tackle or even slow him down. I know his number and where he plays but I would not post it here. The defenders seemed to just watch the receivers and hardly ever turned around to see where the ball was thrown. Pretty hard to get a pic that way. Maybe that is the way they are being taught, I don't know. The defense definitely needs to be a lot better next year to have any kind of success. The kids need to get bigger and stronger so they really need to work during the off season. The off season started yesterday.

I really disagree with you on the receivers not giving effort to catch the ball.  I was at nearly EVERY game and I saw several time #3 bust his butt to catch a ball that he shouldn't have even gone for and then they had to ice down his back and soon after he went back in the game for another round....not to mention the same for #11.  They would jump in the air to catch a ball that wasn't thrown anywhere near them.  I think the defense needs work, but they tried too!  The QB threw probably nearly 30 interceptions or more......YOU CAN'T BLAME THE RECEIVERS FOR THAT!!!!!.  

I am not blaming the receivers for any interceptions that the quarterback threw. I also am not doubting what you say about the receivers trying to catch balls that they had no chance to catch. I only watched them play HF and in that game what I described is what I saw and others around me even yelled out "at least try to catch it". Maybe it was just that game. Lets all hope that the qb and receivers work hard together this off seaason and come back next year with a vengence. Go Cards!

DISCIPLINE is helpful. 

You can't allow a player to "take himself out of a game" for this reason or that reason.  You have a backup...use him.

Parents, etc. who will allow the HC do his job...he is THE COACH and gets paid to do HIS JOB.  I have heard different people from BC say that many, many times...player's parents/grandparents run for the school board because of the influence that they can have.  That's bogus...you need a commitment to being better from your players, parents, and community.

Hit the weightroom and track...don't take the easy way out.  Work out in pads every day that you practice (after two-a-days start).  Realize and address problems.

DISCIPLINE is helpful. 

You can't allow a player to "take himself out of a game" for this reason or that reason.  You have a backup...use him.

Parents, etc. who will allow the HC do his job...he is THE COACH and gets paid to do HIS JOB.  I have heard different people from BC say that many, many times...player's parents/grandparents run for the school board because of the influence that they can have.  That's bogus...you need a commitment to being better from your players, parents, and community.

Hit the weightroom and track...don't take the easy way out.  Work out in pads every day that you practice (after two-a-days start).  Realize and address problems.

I think DISCIPLINE is very helpful!  And it should begin on the practice field first, in the locker room second, and then the playing field on Friday nights.  I may have this all wrong, but I do not believe all athletes should play football.  I think it is only for the type of kid that has that grit and guts to go back out on the field when they are getting pounded by alot and still try to make a play or make a difference.  Some kids have that grit, some don't.  To me, football is a tough game and it takes tough athletes to play and then when you get a bunch of tough kids together, you have a good football team.  Bridge City has not gotten to that point.  They have a few kids that have that talent, but not all of them.  And I also think that when a team beats you by so much, then the consequences of how your practice goes following that beating also makes you a better team.  And in football, I think the consequences should be tough where it makes the team tougher and more determined not to get beat that way in the next game.  And there has to be a certain pride there for the school you suit up for, win or lose, it still has to be there every game, every play, during the school song at the end of the game all the way to the locker room and some even lacked that this year.  Hopefully in the off season, things will begin to come together for the Cardinals and they will at least be competetive next season.  We'll be there to cheer ya on! 

I am not blaming the receivers for any interceptions that the quarterback threw. I also am not doubting what you say about the receivers trying to catch balls that they had no chance to catch. I only watched them play HF and in that game what I described is what I saw and others around me even yelled out "at least try to catch it". Maybe it was just that game. Lets all hope that the qb and receivers work hard together this off seaason and come back next year with a vengence. Go Cards!

The QB and recievers have talent, but people forget that this was the first year he (Breaux) trew to many of his recievers... this is his first year to throw to Rhodes. Landry (because hae came from another school),Troy Luce, Tyler Ladner, Zach Hienze...the only ones he might've ever thrown to woudl be Encalade and Mosely and I saw those two make some good catches this year.... If he works with the Recievers that are coming back this Off-Season and they get thier timing down and get use to each other they'll be dangerous next year!!

DISCIPLINE is helpful. 

I agree, Coach Stump is the right man for Bridge City you just have to be patient, I'm already excited to see how good these young men will do next year!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin