Crosby 69 Port Neches-Groves 28/Final

AggiesAreWe

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

BF is limited by his personnel. If the PNG faithful can’t see that after last night then they’re probably the ones with the issue, not BF. He could’ve ran anything outside of the slot-t and it would’ve been similar results.

One of the moms last night asked one of the other fans in the stands, “Somebody said this is the team that beat Barbers Hill?”. Guy says, “Yeah, it is”. Woman turns to her friend and says, “IDK, maybe they were using different players?” She was DAS too😭

Pretty spot on assessment, same for my Dogs. I will say that the Dogs are better coached defensively as more emphasis is put there (even though it doesn't look like it this year). The personal overall just isn't there for either team this year. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Coach Riordan and nem changed the expectations at Crosby. Coach P is carrying it thru now. This isn't your Coach Haynes type Crosby Cougars anymore. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I agree the expectations for winning changed under Rio. However he almost single handedly sunk those expectations. I really don't think its a talent issue IMO Rio had more talent and a larger turnout. P just seems to be better prepared for his opponents and more disciplined. Crosby used to lead the district in penalty yards not so anymore. If we can stay healthy get participation up and the community to buy in Crosby will be good for a while under this coach

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

BF is limited by his personnel. If the PNG faithful can’t see that after last night then they’re probably the ones with the issue, not BF. He could’ve ran anything outside of the slot-t and it would’ve been similar results.

One of the moms last night asked one of the other fans in the stands, “Somebody said this is the team that beat Barbers Hill?”. Guy says, “Yeah, it is”. Woman turns to her friend and says, “IDK, maybe they were using different players?” She was DAS too😭

That’s a good statement. I think it was an eye opener for the rah rahs last night. But for the football folks it was no surprise. BF is very limited right now. I will not get on here and call out kids and positions. But he is limited. I do think we can do better on the defensive side of the ball. Crosby did nothing magical in their play calling. Simple game film showed what they like, and who they like to feed. Our defensive plan was a joke, and I knew that mid week, that’s why I gave the 42 point prediction, and down by 28 at the half. I will say this, and it’s not something I usually say, I do not think on the offensive side of the ball , he can do anything more. And if he gets this team to a playoff spot, it will be a win for him. As for the yard signs, I don’t think you will see any, or should see any. We have had a run of very good QB play, and it has helped us over the past 7 years. This group is not as fortunate on that. The next 5 years are going to be a tough time at PNG. This team fell apart against Nederland, and it might very well cost them a playoff spot, but somehow beat a BH team that was a toss up. If they can pull a win out at TC, it will be a great win for these kids. But comparing PNG to Crosby is almost Ludacris. The talent pull is just not comparable, due to location. 

2 hours ago, Stattrax said:

That’s a good statement. I think it was an eye opener for the rah rahs last night. But for the football folks it was no surprise. BF is very limited right now. I will not get on here and call out kids and positions. But he is limited. I do think we can do better on the defensive side of the ball. Crosby did nothing magical in their play calling. Simple game film showed what they like, and who they like to feed. Our defensive plan was a joke, and I knew that mid week, that’s why I gave the 42 point prediction, and down by 28 at the half. I will say this, and it’s not something I usually say, I do not think on the offensive side of the ball , he can do anything more. And if he gets this team to a playoff spot, it will be a win for him. As for the yard signs, I don’t think you will see any, or should see any. We have had a run of very good QB play, and it has helped us over the past 7 years. This group is not as fortunate on that. The next 5 years are going to be a tough time at PNG. This team fell apart against Nederland, and it might very well cost them a playoff spot, but somehow beat a BH team that was a toss up. If they can pull a win out at TC, it will be a great win for these kids. But comparing PNG to Crosby is almost Ludacris. The talent pull is just not comparable, due to location. 

One could also tell who had the better coach!

3 hours ago, Stattrax said:

I actually thought BF had a great gameplan. Move the pocket and try to take advantage of the pass plays we struggled to cover on film. Hit us on the second play of the game for a TD. 

Us armchair qbs thought PNG should try to run the ball and eat clock. In actuality though the way PNG was getting beat at the LOS if they tried to run Trahan from the beginning of the game they might not have scored in the first half. They just would’ve ended up in 2nd and 3rd and long a lot more. BF outcoached us armchair guys. The game was always going to be about Crippen being able to make enough plays to keep PNG in it and he couldn’t. He can only do so much though. 

As far as the talent pool, you’re spot on. It’s something I’ve been saying for the last few years now. The suburban schools like Crosby and BH with growing enrollments just have bigger talent pools to choose from right now. 

Some stats from the game: 

PNG - 366 total yards on 64 plays. 15/33 passing with 3tds and 2int. 30 carries for 107 yards and 1td. 16 first downs and 10-18 on third down. 2 turnovers and 2 penalties for 15 yards. *PNG didn’t have individual stats. 

Crosby - 724 yards on 59 plays. Myles was 10/15 for 237 yards and 4tds, he also had 11 carries for 148 yards and 3tds on the ground. Eudy was 2/2 for 78 yards and 1td. As a teams Crosby rushed for 409 yards on 42 carries. Womack had 6 catches for 152 and 3tds. Roberson had 1 catch for 75 yards and 1td. Kirkwood had 1 catch for 48 yards and 1td. 

*Shout out to the clean up crew, a.k.a the sophomores and freshmen that get to come in a finish off the blowouts. Most of them are still too small and slow for us to depend on them outside of relief situations but they way they’ve improved over the last five games from Dayton to PNG is pretty impressive. Code Red has some ball players coming folks, like, some serious ones. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

PNG - 366 total yards on 64 plays. 15/33 passing with 3tds and 2int. 30 carries for 107 yards and 1td. 16 first downs and 10-18 on third down. 2 turnovers and 2 penalties for 15 yards. *PNG didn’t have individual stats. 

Crosby - 724 yards on 59 plays. Myles was 10/15 for 237 yards and 4tds, he also had 11 carries for 148 yards and 3tds on the ground. Eudy was 2/2 for 78 yards and 1td. As a teams Crosby rushed for 409 yards on 42 carries. Womack had 6 catches for 152 and 3tds. Roberson had 1 catch for 75 yards and 1td. Kirkwood had 1 catch for 48 yards and 1td. 

*Shout out to the clean up crew, a.k.a the sophomores and freshmen that get to come in a finish off the blowouts. Most of them are still too small and slow for us to depend on them outside of relief situations but they way they’ve improved over the last five games from Dayton to PNG is pretty impressive. Code Red has some ball players coming folks, like, some serious ones. 

Based on the numbers above, PNG did a decent job on offense but the D performance is horrendous.  I’ve no doubt Crosby has a good offense but 724 yards?  Good grief.  PNG might really want to think about doing something different on D.  Anything.

4 minutes ago, PNGFaithful said:

Figured Code Red would have more fans in the stands. 

Long drive, opposing teams Homecoming, able to watch it on Texanlive for same price as a ticket, and probably already knew what the outcome would be.  I was surprised PNG stands weren’t packed.  I mean, it was y’all’s homecoming. 

33 minutes ago, CCRed said:

Long drive, opposing teams Homecoming, able to watch it on Texanlive for same price as a ticket, and probably already knew what the outcome would be.  I was surprised PNG stands weren’t packed.  I mean, it was y’all’s homecoming. 

We have a lot of Senior fans. I know families with 4 generations up in those stands.. I suspect Covid might have played a little part. 

Under the stands were packed..lol It was a madhouse trying to get concessions. 

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Based on the numbers above, PNG did a decent job on offense but the D performance is horrendous.  I’ve no doubt Crosby has a good offense but 724 yards?  Good grief.  PNG might really want to think about doing something different on D.  Anything.

Like I was telling the PNG fans who were pointing to the stats among common opponents, there’s a difference in how they were accumulated. PNG scored on the second play from scrimmage, then Crosby scored 42 unanswered and the game was over half way though the second quarter. Even on PNG’s second td drive close to the end of the first half it was a backup corner who dropped the int two plays earlier. 

Most of those passing yards are a result of PNG down by 40 trying to air it out against the backups. Most of their rushing yards came from their backup rb against our backup defenders. Their starter probably had 15 carries for 30 yards. 

2 hours ago, CCRed said:

Yes the area is losing its appeal and people are moving away to better areas and better jobs. 

2 hours ago, CCRed said:

Having lived in this area all my life, and seeing (and hearing Cherokee more than I want) PNG games and fans, it’s hard to believe the stands weren’t full.  Honestly, other than playoff games I attended in the Dome, I’ve never seen a PNG game where the stands weren’t packed.  They may still hold the record with Plano (if memory is right) for attendance.  Holy Moly, things are changing.

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Geez.

1 hour ago, PNGFaithful said:

Yes the area is losing its appeal and people are moving away to better areas and better jobs. 

Thats it. Too many Labor issues in the Beaumont - PA area. Too many strikes, too much litigation, too much hostility to the industrial plants and refineries. Texas Monthly once named Beaumont / Jefferson Co. a "Judicial Hellhole". It amazes me how solid blue Beaumont always votes against the hand that literally feeds them (industry), when Beaumont has little else to drive its economy and fund its tax base. 

Kill the Golden Triangles version of a Golden Goose and the decline inevitably happens. Schools suffer.  

4 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Thats it. Too many Labor issues in the Beaumont - PA area. Too many strikes, too much litigation, too much hostility to the industrial plants and refineries. Texas Monthly once named Beaumont / Jefferson Co. a "Judicial Hellhole". It amazes me how solid blue Beaumont always votes against the hand that literally feeds them (industry), when Beaumont has little else to drive its economy and fund its tax base. 

Kill the Golden Triangles version of a Golden Goose and the decline inevitably happens. Schools suffer.  

I'm seeing a  large increase in soccer talent in the area

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Looks like Crosby continues to improve on offense every week. 724 yards and 69 points? Y’all’s boys are getting after it! Keep it up. Seems like the Cougars are getting ready to make another in this year. Pulling for you guys from Carthage.