Keep the PN-G Mascot?

BMTSoulja1

29 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

How long has the school had the name?

this is nothing but attention seeking.

I don’t think so.  I’ve done some research.  Many of the Cherokee tribe has been unhappy about this.  It’s just the previous Principle Chief was a little more lenient and accepted it a little more.  

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, if you don’t care, the this topic could have just missed you altogether. Clearly, this topic is for those that care, either for or not for the name change…. 🤦🏾🤦🏾🤦🏾

I don’t care that a PNG mascot somehow offends people. Did that miss you?

19 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I don’t think so.  I’ve done some research.  Many of the Cherokee tribe has been unhappy about this.  It’s just the previous Principle Chief was a little more lenient and accepted it a little more.  

Accepted it a little more? A person can keep their mouth shut and accept  something. Didn’t the previous chief do something like travel to PNG and present them with an official document? If so that does not sound like acceptance. That sounds more like a blessing.

Secondly, I generally don’t like PNG as an arch rival of Nederland. I am not talking about the people from there. I still support 100% the naming of their mascot Indians or at their discretion something else if they wish.

Next, the latest chief that overturned what the last chief did has no bearing except one man’s opinion. PNG is not called the Cherokees. They are called the Indians.

The current chief of the Cherokee tribe is entitled to his opinion. The people from PNG are entitled to theirs and that includes the naming of their mascot the generic term Indian. 

7 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Accepted it a little more? A person can keep their mouth shut and accept  something. Didn’t the previous chief do something like travel to PNG and present them with an official document? If so that does not sound like acceptance. That sounds more like a blessing.

Secondly, I generally don’t like PNG as an arch rival of Nederland. I am not talking about the people from there. I still support 100% the naming of their mascot Indians or at their discretion something else if they wish.

Next, the latest chief that overturned what the last chief did has no bearing except one man’s opinion. PNG is not called the Cherokees. They are called the Indians.

The current chief of the Cherokee tribe is entitled to his opinion. The people from PNG are entitled to theirs and that includes the naming of their mascot the generic term Indian. 

Key work, PREVIOUS Chief.  The current one does NOT Share those sentiments.  So whatever the previous chief said or did is null and voided at this point.

secondly, your opinion that you’re entitled to…

Next, everyone knows that the Indians that PN-G is named for are the Cherokee Indians.  And the current Chief has all the bearings on this situation.  To think otherwise would be insane.

Just like the Cleveland baseball team, the Washington Football team, PN-G is in the same situation.  It’s already known that it offends those local natives.  This is an easy fix, but these people that are hellbent in ‘pride, honor, and tradition are basically contradicting themselves in this instance.  Anyway, just one man’s view on this…. Well, me, the Chief, and several locals.  🤷🏾‍♂️

I posted something similar on another thread, but basically stated, where does it stop?

Dallas Cowboys (killed natives to settle land)

Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Fighting is bullying, Irish is exclusive)

Seattle Mariners (Harvesting the sea, killing sea creatures)

California Angels (1 religion exclusive)

On and on we could go with how these team names could offend someone.  They are names that are associated with a sports team. There are so many people out there that are just looking to be offended.  There are those that just want to change things because they want them changed.  Americans used to be so strong, protect other nations and now we worry about names of sports teams.

4 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Key work, PREVIOUS Chief.  The current one does NOT Share those sentiments.  So whatever the previous chief said or did is null and voided at this point.

secondly, your opinion that you’re entitled to…

Next, everyone knows that the Indians that PN-G is named for are the Cherokee Indians.  And the current Chief has all the bearings on this situation.  To think otherwise would be insane.

Just like the Cleveland baseball team, the Washington Football team, PN-G is in the same situation.  It’s already known that it offends those local natives.  This is an easy fix, but these people that are hellbent in ‘pride, honor, and tradition are basically contradicting themselves in this instance.  Anyway, just one man’s view on this…. Well, me, the Chief, and several locals.  🤷🏾‍♂️

I realize it’s a previous chief and said so. Either chief it’s just one man’s opinion.

Obviously I’m entitled to my opinion. Otherwise you might as well shut down the forum. 

I don’t think the PNG people care about the Cleveland Indian‘s or anyone else. If they decide to change, great but that will be their choice, not because of political pressure in my opinion. I obviously cannot speak for the people from Port Neches and Groves but I think they would keep the name Indians merely out of anti political correctness, in your eye type of response. Maybe some people are tired of touchy-feely. 

47 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

And the word Indian not offensive. It is not a racial slur.

I think the white kid dancing around a spear like an Indian on the warpath might have something to do with it. Kind of a “cultural appropriation” issue. Personally, I could give two 💩’s what they call themselves. 

How bout them Evadale Rebels?

12 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I think the white kid dancing around a spear like an Indian on the warpath might have something to do with it. Kind of a “cultural appropriation” issue. Personally, I could give two 💩’s what they call themselves. 

I just read a lengthy and interesting article about cultural appropriation. According  to implications of the article, if you like Elvis Presley music, you are guilty of cultural appropriation. In fact Elvis himself is guilty. If you open a pizza restaurant and you are not from Italy or of Italian heritage, you are guilty of the same.

Want to make and sell gumbo? Not so fast. Since the  etymology of gumbo is believed to come from the African word for okra, unless you are Black you should not  cook gumbo to sell or you are guilty of cultural appropriation. Do you like turquoise jewelry? According to the article if you buy from anyone other than a Native American, you’re guilty of cultural appropriation.

Like I said, it is interesting….. 

1 minute ago, tvc184 said:

I just read a lengthy and interesting article about cultural appropriation. According  to implications of the article, if you like Elvis Presley music, you are guilty of cultural appropriation. In fact Elvis himself is guilty. If you open a pizza restaurant and you are not from Italy or of Italian heritage, you are guilty of the same.

Want to make and sell gumbo? Not so fast. Since the  etymology of gumbo is believed to come from the African word for okra, unless you are Black you should not  cook gumbo to sell or you are guilty of cultural appropriation. Do you like turquoise jewelry? According to the article if you buy from anyone other than a Native American, you’re guilty of cultural appropriation.

Please be mindful, I don’t take issue with it. I don’t really see a problem with it. That’s like telling a black man he can’t be a business owner, because when slaves were brought over, only white men owned businesses. Silly. 

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Who's the author of that article?  Because that's the most ridiculous logic I've heard in weeks...

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Who's the author of that article?  Because that's the !pat ridiculous logic I've heard in weeks...

It looks like the authors and editors are a couple of Asians, maybe a couple of people for the Middle Eastern or other cultures. It looks like some think tank organization 501(c)3 and has the goal of bringing people together and other lofty ideals. 

6 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I'm sure Rebels offended someone somewhere!   LOL!!