The Spread Offense

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

The Spread Offense 

Why has a majority of high schools gone to the spread. It seems to be such a trend. I know it spreads the field, but its like we have lost the physical part of the game. Will defenses finally catch up to it and faze it out, like the veer, wishbone, wing T, I, and others. Your thoughts. 

The Spread Offense 

Why has a majority of high schools gone to the spread. It seems to be such a trend. I know it spreads the field, but its like we have lost the physical part of the game. Will defenses finally catch up to it and faze it out, like the veer, wishbone, wing T, I, and others. Your thoughts. 

Well, from what I've seen, if it's not the pure Spread like what SLC runs, it's basically option football out of shotgun.  Matter of fact, most teams that run from the 2 back spread look, are running veer option.  Just 5 yards in the backfield....

Guest Orangeboy

Well, from what I've seen, if it's not the pure Spread like what SLC runs, it's basically option football out of shotgun.  Matter of fact, most teams that run from the 2 back spread look, are running veer option.  Just 5 yards in the backfield....

Great points.

I was watching the game with my boy, who is a Brook fan. I was telling him, that's how an offense is supposed to look.  especialy when the big back kept going in motion right befor the snap.  I was saying the same thing, 85.  That's smashmouth dude.  I realy loved it when they do the play action out of that offense.  Talk about a thing of beauty.  That's football!

You're right SFA (I think we've discussed this before ???), most teams that you see lined up in the shotgun are not running the spread. If they are, they usually run half of it. You hardly ever see a team, at least around here, running the Art Briles spread offense.

When I speak of the Spread, I refer to the Todd Dodge version which they attack the seams and when teams drop 7-8 to defend the pass, they would run Luna or Newton on sprint draw plays.  They and Alamo Heights from last year run the true spread.  Most teams run some type of option scheme off it.....

I think the spread..or any passing offense,  if successful,  helps even out the playing field.  you can have less pure talent, size etc...what i'm getting at is...you can run the spread with a handful of little guys(...eg: Texas Tech...)..where, if you tried to run it up the gut, you be p---- in the wind

I think the spread..or any passing offense,  if successful,  helps even out the playing field.  you can have less pure talent, size etc...what i'm getting at is...you can run the spread with a handful of little guys(...eg: Texas Tech...)..where, if you tried to run it up the gut, you be p---- in the wind

EXACTLY! it helps even the playing field and gives less talented teams a chance

it will phase out once someone figures it out. It's like a new pitcher in the MLBs...he's great for a while, but before long people will figure out how to hit it and the next big pitcher will emerge

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin