Gundy Goes Off On Reporter

KFDM COOP

I'm sure that Bobby Reid is absolutely thrilled the sporting world knows his Mommy complained to his COLLEGE Coach and insinuated that he (Bobby Reid) came home crying to his mommy like a pre-teen fat kid that was humiliated at school recess.

Intended or not, Gundy made Reid appear to be a cry baby momma's boy.

I'm sure that Bobby Reid is absolutely thrilled the sporting world knows his Mommy complained to his COLLEGE Coach and insinuated that he (Bobby Reid) came home crying to his mommy like a pre-teen fat kid that was humiliated at school recess.

Intended or not, Gundy made Reid appear to be a cry baby momma's boy.

That definitely comes across in the tirade, and I think Reid handled the demotion with class.

I read the article again and still don't see it is THAT bad. Heck I've seen some of the local papers rip up High School players worse, but the Coach felt strongly and I respect that also.

It seems like the reporter wanted Reid to sulk on the sideline and maybe get in the coach's face or something instead of taking his demotion like a man. Since he didn't call her up and give some trash on the program, she blasted off.  

his tirade reminded me of tcu's coach last year complaining how they dont get respect.  as a head coach in today's media crazed world, he should know that what the press prints isn't always true.  as far as the althlete is concerned he's not a child, he's a 22 year old man.  college athletes are held in high regard these days just like pro athletes and are held under the same media spotlight just like pro athletes.  do i think the article was appropriate? no, but sometimes u just have to take the good with the bad.  i thought the coach could've handled the situation in a little more professional manner.   

I guess what I don't get is why it's okay for someone in the media to write what she wrote... a critical piece on a young man... thats cool, whatever.  But, when someone who has a mike stuck in their face, just like the reporter has a pen in her hand, has the same critical personal comments back, it's an issue.  I don't see the problem, not to allow a coach to fire back when they have their forum "a press conference" is kind of a double standard.  Tit for tat, they're both doing their job as I see it?

Here is the article, and it is a hatchet job on Reid. Whether you like Gundy or what he did, this article was not necessary. It was a personal attack on a kid, and that she cannot defend.

By Jenni Carlson

The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Bobby Reid stood near the team charters last Friday night, using his cell phone, eating his boxed meal.

It would've been normal post-game activity but for one thing.

His mother was feeding him chicken.

Which brings us to the quarterback switch-a-roo at Oklahoma State.

Don't see the connection?

Let me explain. Cowboy coaches have gone full-speed ahead with the Zac Attack, opting to start Robinson over Reid a week ago, then sticking with him against Texas Tech today even after an embarrassing loss at Troy. Weren't we being told just last week that Reid was still the guy? All the weight with which Cowboy coaches were backing Reid has totally shifted to Robinson.

The change seems sudden.

Thing is, it may not be as abrupt as it looks. If you believe the rumors and the rumblings, Reid has been pushing coaches that way for quite some time.

Tile up the back stories told on the sly over the past few years, and you see a pattern that hasn't always been pretty.

Word is that Reid has considered transferring a couple different times, the first as early as 2005. Reid, then a redshirt freshman, was facing competition from returner Donovan Woods, and apparently, Reid considered leaving OSU just because he had to compete for the spot.

Reid's nerves have also been an issue. Earlier this year, he told our Andrea Cohen about his game-day emotions.

"I get sweaty palms. I get the butterflies in my stomach. I sweat lot,†he said then. "I've been playing this game for 15 years. And I can honestly say every game I've played in, I've been nervous. It's not so much me being scared; I just get to a point where I start worrying about a lot of things I can't control.â€

A lot of guys get nervous, some even puke before games. How you handle the nerves is important, though, and Reid hasn't always managed them well. He has gotten off to some extremely slow starts, putting the Cowboys in some holes. Some, they dug out of, with Reid often wielding the biggest shovel, and some, they couldn't.

Then, there have been the injuries. No doubt some of Reid's ailments have been severe, including an injured shoulder that required surgery and forced him to redshirt. Other times, though, Reid has been nicked in games and sat it out instead of gutting it out.

Injuries are tricky, of course. You don't want a guy to put himself in harm's way if he's really hurt, and yet, football is one of those sports in which everyone plays hurt. Aches and pains, bumps and bruises are part of the gig.

Reid's injury against Florida Atlantic — whatever it was — appeared minor but just might have been the thing that pushed Cowboy coaches over the edge. Even though Mike Gundy said last week that Robinson got the nod because he had the better week of practice, insiders say that the coaches decided to bench Reid early in the week. The bottom line: The switch is less about Robinson's play and more about Reid's attitude.

"The coaches made a decision,†Reid told our Mike Baldwin after the Troy game. "I just have to go with it, get better and get back on the field.â€

There's something to be said for not being a malcontent, but you can almost see Reid shrugging his shoulders as he says those words. Does he have the fire in his belly?

Or does he want to be coddled, babied, perhaps even fed chicken?

That scene in the parking lot last week had no bearing on the Cowboys changing quarterbacks, and yet, it said so much about Reid. A 21-year-old letting his mother feed him in public? Most college kids, much less college football players, would just as soon be seen running naked across campus.

And what of the scene television cameras captured earlier that evening of Reid on the sidelines laughing with assistant strength coach Trumain Carroll? The same cameras showed him throwing his cap in disgust after a missed play earlier, but to be laughing in the final minutes of an embarrassing loss is bad form.

Reid is the most talented quarterback in Payne County, but he hasn't proven that he's the toughest. If you listen to the rumblings and the rumors, Cowboy coaches simply grew weary of it.

Who knows? There might come a day when they grow tired of something Robinson does, but for now, they appear willing to sacrifice a bit of talent for a lot of grit.

The little article in Orange about the WOS program was worst than this OKST article.  I did not believe that columnist was wrong nor do I think the OK columnist was wrong.  That is the pressure of being a gifted athelete in a world where it is profitable when you entertain.  Highschool games create revenue as well as college and definitely the pros.  I was critiqued as a grade schooler whether I could perform in excelled classes.  I didn't cry, my parents didnt go to the enterprise with the stroy, I went out there and performed. I was in 6th grade!15 years later I am a 3.0 graduate from college in Chemical engineering working for industry.  Every performer gets critiqued get over it!

I can't wait for that Coors light commercial too! lol

that woman is an idiot..she shouldnt be allowed to write about football having never played it and certainly doesnt understand the physical requirements.  if someone gets hurt, and stays out of the game its not a question of character unless they just flat didnt want to play.  if you're unable to give them a break.  deon sanders..toe injury, out for season.  qb hurts pinky....really cant throw.  rb tweaks an ankle, it can hurt you for weeks.  i dont see many men flocking to cover womens volleyball, and then jumping to conclusions about a sport they probably never played.  rediculous!....coors light please make a commercial though!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• Well, the ones who are upset by this are the same ones who can’t define a woman. There was another woman who everybody came down on for hunting. We are a nation of the offended.  
    • For what it’s worth, polling after this came out show her with an 81% disapproval rating.  Only 21% of republicans said she’d be a good choice for veep, and only 28% of self-identified “very conservative” voters said she’s a good option.  Bragging about killing a dog apparently resonates poorly across political affiliations.  
    • They don’t, and they won’t.  May not be an issue in South Dakota, but certainly is on the national stage.  Even my mother in law, who strictly watches OAN and thinks Trump is a great guy who’s never committed a crime in his life is completely disgusted by this.  I know about bad dogs, and don’t have an issue with what she did,  and I’m sure most of us on here agree.  But as is often this case, it’s not going to be our opinions that decide this election.  I thought she might be a valuable running mate that could bring in the female vote, but I’m hoping Trump has the sense to stay away from her now.  
    • I like the approach, here it is, if you don’t like it don’t vote for me, it’s refreshing to see the Ronald Reagan approach. Not every statement needs to be based on a perceived reaction from folks. Don’t think for a minute democrats didn’t have this knowledge, just not the right time to use it, remember Romney and the dog carrier, they knew.  
    • The year after he left DC spell had them boys physical… beat Roschon Johnson and the Indians at home. They were roughing him up all night long. 
  • Topics