SETX Player Rankings

Cardinal 1

1 minute ago, Elvis Presley said:

That would be pretty bad if Superintendents can't even go by the prooven facts!!  Out of curiosity what are the rumors they went by?

I would assume the ones we see in here lol! All I know is he was denied due to transfering for athletic purposes not his residency which is what I thought at first and folks in here have been assuming. That's not the case from what I was told. It was due to athletic purposes which makes no since if you agree he has lived in the district and coming from a private school. That's like a kid who is zoned to WB but has been going to Kelly and decides to leave Kelly in High school and go to WB. That's exactly the case here. 

I'm going to assume this was actually an attack on the HF basketball program and not this kid. He's just caught in the middle. HF had 3 new players last year, 2 played varsity and with him coming over some folks got upset and think recruiting is going on. But to deny a kid who is legit over your assumptions and anger is silly

1 minute ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

By reading all of this it looks like they are hammering Fannett for having 4 new move ins in a year span and that seems like recruiting to me but who knows, you never know what with uil. Kelly is private school so it’s a easier process transferring to a public school usually won’t get to much flack for that.

So is Tekoa my friend. It's a private charter school with no affiliation with UIL. That's what makes this interesting to me because of that very assessment. I've never seen a kid get denied to play varsity at the achoolhes zoned for coming from a private school. 

6 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Seems like because they have had 4 move ins in a year span and it looks fishy so they are putting a stop to it. I mean those are a lot of move ins in that span and they are all very good basketball players 

That's understandable but they laid on a sword with this one. Should have left this one alone in my opinion. It doesn't look good on their part and if the UIL upholds it a precedent will be set that a kid who attends a private school will not be able to transfer to the ISD school they are zoned to and play varsity sports. That will be huge!

1 minute ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Yeah I hear ya but it doesn’t look good having that many move ins, you have to put a stop to it, it’s against uil rules, these guys are coming to Fannett for a  reason!!! Seems to me they are coming to play basketball.  If you leave it alone then it’s going to keep happening.

I think what some are seeing is that these kids are not coming to play for Hamshire-Fannett but coming to play for a coach.

The question is, if the coach was at a different school, say PA Memorial or Anahuac or East Chambers or Kelly, would these kids still be transferring to Hamshire-Fannett?

1 hour ago, Cardinal 1 said:

I don't think it was main factor or even running acrosssome of their minds, but they definitely went on rumors and not facts presented. The optics don't look good and apparently weren't thought about at all. That's what I'm saying

I don’t have access to the particulars of this case but I can bet my bottom dollar that district superintendents and athletic directors didn’t vote against eligibility based on rumor. 

45 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Yeah I hear ya but it doesn’t look good having that many move ins, you have to put a stop to it, it’s against uil rules, these guys are coming to Fannett for a  reason!!! Seems to me they are coming to play basketball.  If you leave it alone then it’s going to keep happening.

Doesn't matter in this last case as he could transfer for whatever reason he wants as he has lived in the district while attending a private school. I can't speak for the others, but one did sit out due to UIL rules so that means the others live or moved into the district. But they did come from another UIL school so yeah that is a little different. The kid from Tekoa isnt in that same category as he is from the HF district and was going to a private charter school where his dad works. He's just going back to finish at HF. What rule has he broken?

1 minute ago, whsalum said:

I don’t have access to the particulars of this case but I can bet my bottom dollar that district superintendents and athletic directors didn’t vote against eligibility based on rumor. 

The only particular that matters is that he is from the district area and coming from a private school where his dad works. What UIL rule has he broken? How is he leaving a private school to go to a school he's zoned to any different from the others that has done the same? Keep in mind his residency wasn't an issue at all my friend so they simply voted against him based on their own feelings and not the facts. 

If a kid has proven he has lived in the district, went to school in the district before, and is coming from a private school to finish high school, would any of you vote against him? That's the real question here folks. I don't know about the previous kids at all or their reasons, but their situations shouldn't be the factor to base a vote on this kid. Based on the facts of his residency, prior attendance in HF school district, and coming from a private school, would any of you vote against him?

2 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Doesn't matter in this last case as he could transfer for whatever reason he wants as he has lived in the district while attending a private school. I can't speak for the others, but one did sit out due to UIL rules so that means the others live or moved into the district. But they did come from another UIL school so yeah that is a little different. The kid from Tekoa isnt in that same category as he is from the HF district and was going to a private charter school where his dad works. He's just going back to finish at HF. What rule has he broken?

Maybe the DEC wanted a reason for now wanting to attend Hamshire-Fannett.

Look at it from their perspective.

Student attends an academy for most of his adolescent life. Most parents send their children to such schools for the academics or environment. They chose it to be better than public schools which is their right.

Now the young man chooses to attend a public school who just happens to have a new coach. Why wasn't HF considered before this coach arrived? Has the academics and environment at the private school changed? Have they dismantled their athletic program?

These and other questions is what the DEC wants to know about. Based on the answers they received and the research of those answers, it was deemed a transfer for athletic purposes.

Based on the recent activity, I can see where a DEC would have red flags.

I don't think it is personal and I surely don't think it's racial. I know the coaches and AD's in that district. That's not their motivation.

And to answer your question above, I would have allowed the transfer.

1 hour ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

By reading all of this it looks like they are hammering Fannett for having 4 new move ins in a year span and that seems like recruiting to me but who knows, you never know what with uil. Kelly is private school so it’s a easier process transferring to a public school usually won’t get to much flack for that.

I thought Tekoa was a private school?

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Maybe the DEC wanted a reason for now wanting to attend Hamshire-Fannett.

Look at it from their perspective.

Student attends an academy for most of his adolescent life. Most parents send their children to such schools for the academics or environment. They chose it to be better than public schools which is their right.

Now the young man chooses to attend a public school who just happens to have a new coach. Why wasn't HF considered before this coach arrived? Has the academics and environment at the private school changed? Have they dismantled their athletic program?

These and other questions is what the DEC wants to know about. Based on the answers they received and the research of those answers, it was deemed a transfer for athletic purposes.

Based on the recent activity, I can see where a DEC would have red flags.

I don't think it is personal and I surely don't think it's racial. I know the coaches and AD's in that district. That's not their motivation.

And to answer your question above, I would have allowed the transfer.

I can see that as part of the thought process. I just never heard of a kid being denied leaving a private school to go where he is zoned to. I can see frowning upon those who don't live there and transfering in, but not denying a kid who does. UIL should overturn this. That would be telling the parents that their kid can't take advantage of the opportunities at the school they pay taxes to. 

26 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

So each individual transfer isn't based on its own circumstances? The number of move ins shouldn't matter. That would be ridiculous. 

I would be willing to bet my entire paycheck that if he was a trash player or irrelevant on the scene, no one would say a thing. Just like they didn't challenge the transfer of HFs leading scorer last year because he was an unknown that hadn't played organized basketball before. Now all of a sudden he's relevant to the argument because he turn out to be coachable and athletic. Smh

4 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

I would be willing to bet my entire paycheck that if he was a trash player or irrelevant on the scene, no one would say a thing. Just like they didn't challenge the transfer of HFs leading scorer last year because he was an unknown that hadn't played organized basketball before. Now all of a sudden he's relevant to the argument because he turn out to be coachable and athletic. Smh

It wasn't challenged because he was "swept" in as a football player. The basketball coaches actually had a problem with it.

At least that was what I was told.

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It wasn't challenged because he was "swept" in as a football player. The basketball coaches actually had a problem with it.

At least that was what I was told.

So the basketball coaches are only ok with certain schools getting transfers.