PN-G Going To The Spread!!!!!

Guest Indian Chief

Why does everyone think you have to have blazing speed for the spread to work. Not comparing teams, but SLC was never an overall fast team, but the skill guys ran thier routes and the QB made smart decisions. Let's see what they do before you start bad mouthing them. I have to question the speed people are talking about though. Unless Hemmings got extremly faster since last season, I don't see him running faster than a 4.6 in the forty, but who needs the speed when he'll plow over you. Iknow there is several underclassmen coming through the system that can throw the ball though.  I say first play this year will be a triple reverse flea flicker option pass to the center on a go route. :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 87CRU79

I saw clips of PNG running the "Spread" on the news. It is almost as if PNG's QB, Tatum, is lined up in the Pistol formation (when the QB is only 3 yards away from the center, instead of the traditional Shotgun which is 5 yards) flexed by his FB and TB and running the usual PNG toss sweep. So is PNG now running the toss sweep out of the gun, or have they actually moved to the Spread?

If I recall, PNG has run the toss sweep out of the Wing T before they began running it out of the Pro Set.

two 4.4's and and 4.59 full back...

that seems quite unbelievable to me. I would much prefer to see it myself.

If you want to see it for yourself then you might purchase season tickets to the PNG games. LOL I'm jsut joking with you H J. On the 1997 Bridge City team they ran the wing T and in their back field they had Bryan Bock, Sam Carpenter, and Hoffphire (SP) I can't remember his first name. All three of them were blazing fast. I would think they all ran 4.4's and 4.5's. There was four break away touchdowns by BC in a game against PNG. I would say around 40 yards or more. Maybe someone can remember the facts better than I can. PNG won the game 27-26. Maybe the best high school game I have ever seen.

With all due respect, none of those guys at BC that year ran a 4.4. Bock was a big kid, and if he had run a 4.4 he'd have played at UT or A&M instead of Howard Payne. They weren't even close to Beasley's speed, which was closer to 4.5. Charles ran a legit 4.4, as did Kerry Franks.

A lot of people mistake quickness for speed.

Those guys for BC were pretty good, but not close to 4.4.

I saw Bock play several times, and he was an above average HS running back, but I would have been stunned to see him at a D1 school. Micah Mosely barely got in D1, and he was a far superior back. Bock still had some bugs in his game (three fumbles vs. WO-S his JR year) but was a good power runner - not spectacular, but very good.

With all due respect, none of those guys at BC that year ran a 4.4. Bock was a big kid, and if he had run a 4.4 he'd have played at UT or A&M instead of Howard Payne. They weren't even close to Beasley's speed, which was closer to 4.5. Charles ran a legit 4.4, as did Kerry Franks.

A lot of people mistake quickness for speed.

Those guys for BC were pretty good, but not close to 4.4.

I always laugh when the PN-G's of the world fanatics boast of all this so-called 'speed' their players posses.  My question is, if all this speed exist, wheres the 4x100, 4x200, etc relay teams?  The only kid I know that could run with guys like Franks was that kid from Vidor.  He finished 3rd in the 100 behind Chopper and Franks.  Everybody else is just full of it.  Stop hyping those kids up on the net and just let them play......

I was at the game also and I remeber him having several fumbles. It was more like the ball was striped from him rather than him just mishandling the ball. The ball was strippped from a BC receiver last year against Lumberton which cost BC the game. I don't know if Bock wasn't coached on how to protect the ball or not. Stripping is a part of the game and WOS is good at it. Bock was a much better back his senior year and did not fumble near as much.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder