Baytown Knights vs. Big Timers

Knights pick up win in Mid-July Classic

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published July 15, 2007

The Baytown Knights’ arrival may not have been timely but their hitting was. Trailing 4-3 in the top of the fifth inning the Knights scored four runs with two outs to post a 7-4 win over the Big Timers. The game started an hour late due to a mix-up in scheduling. Baytown followed up with a 4 to 3 win over the Heat to finish the day 2-0 in pool play of the Triple Play Baseball Mid-July Classic at Herrington Field. The Knights will return to play at noon today when they face L.C. Post at Lee.

The Classic, which started Friday night, is being played at North Shore, Channelview, Deer Park and Lee. The tournament will conclude today with the pool champions in 18U facing off at Deer Park and Lee at 2 p.m. The championship game is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Deer Park.

The Knights entered the third inning of the game against the Big Timers tied 1-1 but took control with two runs.

With one out, Barbers Hill product Colby Townley doubled to left-center and advanced to third on a single. Josh Ezernack of Pearland fouled out deep enough to score Townley. An RBI single by Kyle Bates of Elkins gave the Knights a 3-1 lead.

The Big Timers answered with two runs of their own in the bottom half of the frame to tie the game at three.

Hunter Silva of Barbers Hill came on in relief in the bottom of the fourth inning and allowed a leadoff double that resulted in a run for the Big Timers to make the score 4-3.

The top of the fourth inning proved to be decisive for Baytown as they exploded for four runs. BJ Hansen of Galveston Ball led off with a single and Derek Hulsey of Barbers Hill followed with another single to place runners on first and second with no outs. A sacrifice bunt by Stephen Gerondale of Ball advanced the runners to second and third where it appeared they would be stranded after a pop-up to second base for the second out of the inning.

The Big Timers took the bat out of Townley’s hands with an intentional walk to load the bases only to see Montalbano make them pay with a ground-rule double that scored two runs. Ezernack followed with a 2-run single that made the score 7-3. Ezernack had three RBI’s in the game.

After Ezernack was thrown out on a stolen base attempt, Silva came back on and shut the Big Timers down. With one out, an error allowed a base runner but a strikeout and groundout ended the threat. Silva got the win in two innings of work giving up one earned run on one hit while striking out two.

Thats a tough break no dought, and IMO the rite move by the Big Timers coach, thats playing %  baseball. In this case it went the other way. Looking at the name of the tourn it doesn't look to be put on by LL baseball as its called Triple Play Baseball Mid-July Classic. I had thought I read in another thread it was a Big League team which is LL. The boys on the Baytown team seam to be too spread out to be a LL team. Just asking thats all...

Ronnie Bay (832-541-6770) or Curtis Pounds (281-924-0774).  Ronnie also coaches 1 of the Houston Heat teams so I really don't know if he or Curtis is 'running' the organization.  Most of their games are at North Shore HS.  Never had a bad experience there in terms of how they ran it, etc.

Ronnie Bay (832-541-6770) or Curtis Pounds (281-924-0774).  Ronnie also coaches 1 of the Houston Heat teams so I really don't know if he or Curtis is 'running' the organization.  Most of their games are at North Shore HS.  Never had a bad experience there in terms of how they ran it, etc.

Thanks MIF04

Thats a tough break no dought, and IMO the rite move by the Big Timers coach, thats playing %  baseball. In this case it went the other way. Looking at the name of the tourn it doesn't look to be put on by LL baseball as its called Triple Play Baseball Mid-July Classic. I had thought I read in another thread it was a Big League team which is LL. The boys on the Baytown team seam to be too spread out to be a LL team. Just asking thats all...

The Big Timers and The Big League is two different teams.  It is a select team from the Golden Triangle and various other cities like Dallas, Lufkin, Lake Charles and others.  Not associated with LL Big League.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami