Burkeville's Coach Roy Harper to Jasper!!!

Wow!!! I never saw that coming. He has done a great job in Burkeville. He was also a pretty good basketball coach. I wish him the best and hope to see him back in coaching very soon. Coach Harper you are a great example of what Texas High School Football in all about!!!!!!!!!

When I first went to The Beaumont Enterprise as a sports writer back in 1993, my job was to cover the small schools ... Class A, 2A and 3A.

One of my favorite trips during football season was up to Burkeville. The kids were always down-to-earth and polite. It was a pleasure to deal with those kids. But most of all, dealing with Coach Harper was an honor.

He and his kids earned every win they got over the years and all that hard work resulted in state championships.

Not only will Burkeville miss him, but Southeast Texas will be less of a football community without him on the sidelines.

There are only a few coaches which whom I've had this kind of respect ... Curtis Barbay, Dan Hooks, Kevin Johnson, Bubba McGallion ... and Roy Harper ...

I hope Coach Harper enjoys his time in Jasper. If he returns to coaching, all the better for us all. If he's decided that retirement from the sidelines is what he wants, then I wish him the very best in whatever he chooses to do.

Gerry Dickert

The Silsbee Bee

When I first went to The Beaumont Enterprise as a sports writer back in 1993, my job was to cover the small schools ... Class A, 2A and 3A.

One of my favorite trips during football season was up to Burkeville. The kids were always down-to-earth and polite. It was a pleasure to deal with those kids. But most of all, dealing with Coach Harper was an honor.

He and his kids earned every win they got over the years and all that hard work resulted in state championships.

Not only will Burkeville miss him, but Southeast Texas will be less of a football community without him on the sidelines.

There are only a few coaches which whom I've had this kind of respect ... Curtis Barbay, Dan Hooks, Kevin Johnson, Bubba McGallion ... and Roy Harper ...

I hope Coach Harper enjoys his time in Jasper. If he returns to coaching, all the better for us all. If he's decided that retirement from the sidelines is what he wants, then I wish him the very best in whatever he chooses to do.

Gerry Dickert

The Silsbee Bee

I agree! Great Coach and person.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder