Big league to play in State Tourney

They were state runner up and faced pitching and hitting equivalent to a 5a high school team. I say this because if it was equivalent to a 3a or 4a team, people would say they didn't play competition like they should, b/c 3a and 4a teams aren't as good as 5a teams on average...period.

There's no such thing as 'on the average' when it comes to baseball.  Do you really think a 5A school would've lit up Homer Bailey because he pitched for a 3A school?  Not gonna happen...I do understand that 'overall' you find more talent in 5A due to the numbers involved (i.e., better chance of finding 1 good player from a group of 1,000 rather than 100).  You also find more depth in 5A, again due to the numbers.  But...in 1 game...I'll take Homer Bailey and I wouldn't care if it was 1A or 5A.  Talent is talent...no matter where you find it. 

Plus...I wouldn't be calling out BH too much.  Not with that pitching staff they got coming back...

Jay Bruce was (and still is) a great player, and a better guy.  I think even he will tell you that he wouldn't have necessarily destroyed Homer Bailey.  And, he might even remind you that WB only made the playoffs 2 of his 4 years (and never won district).  You missed the point...again.  And you are doing a disservice to the players and fans from WB who love and respect the game throughout SE Texas.

WB has a great run of talent over the past few years.  A lot of good baseball players have come out of there.  I hope that continues for the Bruins.  Just accept that...and be happy with it.  They won district this year.  They had one of the best everyday lineups I've seen come through this area.  But, they weren't the '27 Yankees.  Just a very talented team.  Be glad for that and hope that lightning strikes again next year.... 

Guest Bulldog

Gees Serna, back up and give jay a little room to walk...if you know what I mean. just kidding, Jay bruce is hands down the best player from SETX ever, end of discussion.

I wouldn't sat hands down.....there have been some really good players come out of this area...

Well if I remember correctly, LCM took the Brook to the woodshed last year. Now I know this was only a scrimmage and not much can be taken from it and I do know the Brook took LCM out back this year. It's not a question of 5A vs. 3A/4A, it's just baseball, which team is better on that day. LCM was better last year and the Brook was better this year. No fault of either school, just the way things turned out. That's the game of baseball

Big League use to be a descent league back when there wasn't select teams and all that. Back in the mid 80's a Beaumont Amelia team got like 3rd in the world. It has always been historically the Beaumont and northern section of the triangle that has played in the league. I remember that if you won district then your able to pick up players from other teams and you do that all the way to the world series I believe. Anyways I'm old, but if you ask guys in thier 30's about Big League, it was fun back then. So many different leagues and teams now, I don't see how people can say what area has the best baseball because the talent is spread all over the place.

I saw the World Sereis Final Game and South Carolinaa won the World Series against Latin America... no Westbrook

Probably couldn't come to terms on money and endorsments with the media so thats why you didn't see them. If you check back there has been no talk about the games since the first one>> I'd be willing to bet they were 2 n out, once out of the area, somewhat like the smack talking before the games WB played after district, 2 n out then also and NO post after that also, that is until the 'smack talkers' started this one. You can take my 'smack' to the bank and I'm just a home school drop out.

Probably couldn't come to terms on money and endorsments with the media so thats why you didn't see them. If you check back there has been no talk about the games since the first one>> I'd be willing to bet they were 2 n out, once out of the area, somewhat like the smack talking before the games WB played after district, 2 n out then also and NO post after that also, that is until the 'smack talkers' started this one. You can take my 'smack' to the bank and I'm just a home school drop out.

And WB isnt that bad and great after all..

Dang people what ever happen to good job to the Big Leaguers and best of luck? But NNNOOOOOO ya'll have to get on here and toot your own horns. Get off of it and act like grown ups and wish them luck. It's always good to have the whole area backing you.

Yeah, WB is is the team that competed in the big league tournament. Are you Kidding? There were kids there from all over on that team.But let me assure you, If WB's varsity would played, all of the kids, they would have won the world series with ease. And the big league team did not go two and out after getting through this area, they kicked out two teams in the state tournament and were second place. Last time I checked, second place in the state of TX was pretty dang good. The only reason I stopped "Talking Smack" on this website is B/C people like 643 make me sick on this website. If he reaaly is an old man with eight boys that all went to the pros and are waiting to get into the hall of fame like he sais he is, then he needs to start acting like it and congratulate the big league team on what a great run they had, and drop it. There, I've said my peace, and am retiring from this website for good, because I know 643 is gonna come up with some comment to disgrace the integrity of this website and the many members that simply want to talk baseball, not 3a, 4a, or 5a baseball...just baseball. Have a great season next year boys, I'll be watchin from the sidelines....not typing anything.

I have the utmost respect for the players, its the horn blowing, look at me I'm the best that ever walked on a field type stuf I cant stand, and I think Im not the only one that has noticed it displayed here. You and a few others put WB in a league of thier own as with the comments on no team less than 5a is worthy of EVEN playing WB, as was discussed here also. I have several >friends that played for WB over the yrs along with a cpl of coaches and in no way they had the attitude that has been posted by some. BTW I dont have 8 boys, just 2 and this old fart helped both go on to the next level with BB schollarships with JUST 1 going on to play Pro ball and can say and back up, I have helped more than a few others go on to the next level be it with advice, recommendation, or setting up a tryout, so you could say I'm all for the players. Whats on your resume other than sitting in the stands rooting for the home team. I do congratulate the boys in their accomplishments but to say "If it would have been a all WBs varsity team they would have won with ease" is exactly what I'm talking about. 

I think the last sentence, the quote...in 643's post sums it all up. Matter of fact, I was ready to comment on it myself...he just beat me to it.  I do not recall him ever saying WB wasn't any good, nor have I for that matter. I think they are very good. Even got to know a couple of them this summer. Fine ball players both and fine young men. I think it's the "hand's down ", without a doubt", etc. that he may be referring to.

IMO, when talking about sports it's always safe to never speak in absolutes...that's why you play the games.

With that said, best of luck to all the players and teams in a very impressive SE Texas region.

I have to agree with both 643 and Eagle07 100%........I know I say West Brook would be better off finding other options to play then the BC's and Jasper's...that's just my individual opinion...but for any team in 'this area' to say they could beat everyone all the time is ridicules..(I've never said that)......West Brook has had some great teams and great kids who get unjustly placed, with this type of thinking, some of these posters have............I wouldn't place the arrogance of a few posters in the same group as West Brook baseball........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiiiiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiiiiaa