Football Player Dies While Weightlifting

Player at Foster High School in Richmond, Texas died when a 240 lb barbell fell on his throat. He was training alone, without a spotter. All you kids getting ready for football season, be careful and train safely.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/13652898/detail.html

Player at Foster High School in Richmond, Texas died when a 240 lb barbell fell on his throat. He was training alone, without a spotter. All you kids getting ready for football season, be careful and train safely.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/13652898/detail.html

Never workout without a spotter.

Not to minimize the death, but it's a 240 pounds on the bar, not a barbell.......

I was about to say...ive never seen a 240 pounds barbell... Thats Huge. I hardly think that the worlds strongest man could even curl that barbell...yet again thats just what i think. A 240 pound max on bench sounds resonable...when i worked out alone, i wouldn't ever put 20 pounds less than my max on the bar. cause Then i know i could manuever it off of me.

I was about to say...ive never seen a 240 pounds barbell... Thats Huge. I hardly think that the worlds strongest man could even curl that barbell...yet again thats just what i think. A 240 pound max on bench sounds resonable...when i worked out alone, i wouldn't ever put 20 pounds less than my max on the bar. cause Then i know i could manuever it off of me.

I hadn't heard of a 240 lb barbell either, but I've never been one to lift anything heavier than a cold drink and a burger, so I relied on the reporter's description. Regardless, 240 lbs pinning you to the bench until you die is too horrible for me to imagine. So sad, and so preventable.

Guest 3AFan

I hadn't heard of a 240 lb barbell either, but I've never been one to lift anything heavier than a cold drink and a burger, so I relied on the reporter's description. Regardless, 240 lbs pinning you to the bench until you die is too horrible for me to imagine. So sad, and so preventable.

I'm guessing his arm had to have given out, and the weight killed him on contact. It's real easy to lean one way or the other, and the weights fall off if you get in a bind. This is a horrible incident!

3Afan- Not going against what you think happened...but it said it hadnt crushed or broke anything...therefore it just laid on his neck for a little bit after his arms had gave out. He couldn't of died on contact. Something in his neck would of snapped possibly? agree?

Guest 3AFan

3Afan- Not going against what you think happened...but it said it hadnt crushed or broke anything...therefore it just laid on his neck for a little bit after his arms had gave out. He couldn't of died on contact. Something in his neck would of snapped possibly? agree?

You are correct, i didn't read the article, i just assumed. That's strange that he wasn't able to tip the weight one way or the other. That has to be significantly more than his bench, if he was just barely able to break the weight, and it fell straight on his neck. But again, that is tragic.....

3Afan- See thats exactly what i was thinking...the hardest part of benching while doing the max is getting the dang bar off the rack to me lol. But then while coming down, how did it fall straight on his neck. i would of like, let it go on my chest then tip it over one way. Very weird...maybe a suicide attempt? never know i guess.

You are correct, i didn't read the article, i just assumed. That's strange that he wasn't able to tip the weight one way or the other. That has to be significantly more than his bench, if he was just barely able to break the weight, and it fell straight on his neck. But again, that is tragic.....

May have not happen on the lift off but while pressing back toward the rack, his triceps gave out.  We've all been taught to press back while pushing up but proper technique calls for bar placement below the pecs(on the diaphram like doing decline press) and pushing straight up as opposed to pushing straight back toward the rack.  Instead of hitting high on his upper chest and neck, it would have fallen to a 'safe' position on his diaphram which still hurts but it's on his back vs. the tragedy that occured

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83