Return of football at Lamar would be benefit to many

If football was to return I hope people would shell out the cash to buy season tickets to get the entire program off the ground...Too many times SETexas athletic junkies talk about "how they would love LU football, or how they would love a Triple AAA ball club back to BMT"....Bottom line would be people supporting the programs just like in all cities.....I'd do it in a heartbeat!

When did Beaumont have Triple-A ball? The Gators were Double-A, right?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former athletic trainer for LU during the last year of the football existence, it would be great news for LU football to return.

Hopefully the community would back them.

Everyone needs to remember that SE Texas is primarily a high school football fan base.

It wasn't fun to see the stands empty during the last few years of football at Lamar.  The people of SE Texas didn't even support the Golden Gators (which eventually produced a few great major league ball players).

Lamar needs to be expecting to lose money big time if they did bring back football, unless they can ink a big time coach like Switzer.....

Lamar also needs to remember that dropping football wasn't a "God Send" to the rest of the athletic program.  I think the football program (even if it does lose money) does generate more enthusiasm in the rest of the athletic program.

Keep us informed on any new news...

If they ever get it back I predict 2012.  Going to take at least year to get the field and facilities in shape.  It will take awhile to get a staff organized.  It will take another couple of years with a head coach in place to get recruiting etc.  I know this is a professional team but Houston had Capers on board for a couple of years before they had the first snap.  I can't imagine a prominent figure would be willing to sit in an office for a couple of years before his team even suits up.

Guest ECBucFan

Everyone needs to remember that SE Texas is primarily a high school football fan base.....

It wasn't fun to see the stands empty during the last few years of football at Lamar......  Lamar needs to be expecting to lose money big time if they did bring back football.....

I said essentially the same things (in a different time and place) and got SEVERELY yelled at! It's an emotional issue that can become volatile if opposing yet very plausible perspectives are voiced. It's too bad that a differing viewpoint is misconstrued to be "anti-Lamar".

FOLLOWINGS JUST AN OPINION, NO OFFENSE!!!!:  Lamar will bring back football, it's a done deal....and....after an initial (year or two) period, the novelity will wear off, attendance will slump, and SETX will return to it's core passion, HS football.   

I said essentially the same things (in a different time and place) and got SEVERELY yelled at! It's an emotional issue that can become volatile if opposing yet very plausible perspectives are voiced. It's too bad that a differing viewpoint is misconstrued to be "anit-Lamar".

FOLLOWINGS JUST AN OPINION, NO OFFENSE!!!!:  Lamar will bring back football, it's a done deal....and....after an initial (year or two) period, the novelity will wear off, attendance will slump, and SETX will return to it's core; HS football passion.   

I am for sure not "anti-Lamar" just factual.  Well said ECBucFan, this area's passion is HS football.  I can't wait for the FB team to return, and I will buy season tickets.  I think Ray Alborn had the program on the way up when it was ended.  He was an AWEsome person to be around, hopefully they can get a very motivating and likeable coach to lead the Cardinals.

Shoot!  I'm a North Texas fan but I sure as hell would buy season tickets for Lamar Football if they ever started it back up.  I just happen to really enjoy college football.  Plus, I can't make it up to Denton for every home game up there.  Yep, I'd support Lamar as best I could.  LU really took a dive in perceived stature when they closed down football.  Didn't their enrollment take a hit too?

Guest coachacola

Enrollment did drop after they dropped football, and so did fan interest in the other Lamar sports too.  I think that led to Lamar leaving the Sunbelt and returning to the lowly SLC.  I bet if Lamar hadn't dropped football they'd be playing in the Sunbelt today.

I am for sure not "anti-Lamar" just factual.  Well said ECBucFan, this area's passion is HS football.  I can't wait for the FB team to return, and I will buy season tickets.  I think Ray Alborn had the program on the way up when it was ended.  He was an AWEsome person to be around, hopefully they can get a very motivating and likeable coach to lead the Cardinals.

I'm not "anti-Lamar" either just factual. Lamar was 33-77-1 in the decade of the 80's. I won't go see Nederland, PN-G, WO-S, Bridge City, LC-M or any high school, college or pro athletic team with that kind of record. I'm loyal but I also like being able to hold down my food. Bad football, especially a bad program is sick to watch. I'd rather watch paint dry. I guess some of you guys are more loyal or just have more boring lives if you support teams year end and year out who go 3-7.

I think it will work but you will have to have 90% of you players from southeasttexas. From 1A to 5A go and get the best that is left. If people have ties to the players they will be move likely to come watch and the other part is "everybody likes a WINNER!" You gotta win baby.

The estimate that I heard is that if it happens, it will be in 2009 or (more likely) 2010.  However this is in no way, shape, or form, cast in stone.

I was told 2010 by someone very high up at LU. They just opened the fourth set of dorms and the fifth dorm is already being talked about. Football will be back before Dr. Simmons retires. I just ask one favor, PLEASE recruit locally.

Guest coachacola

I was told 2010 by someone very high up at LU. They just opened the fourth set of dorms and the fifth dorm is already being talked about. Football will be back before Dr. Simmons retires. I just ask one favor, PLEASE recruit locally.

I wonder if the 4 year moratorium by the NCAA preventing schools from changing divisions means that Lamar has to wait until 2011?  But 2010 does make sense since 2009 is when they plan to refurbish Cardinal Stadium.

I think it will work but you will have to have 90% of you players from southeasttexas. From 1A to 5A go and get the best that is left. If people have ties to the players they will be move likely to come watch and the other part is "everybody likes a WINNER!" You gotta win baby.

I agree.

I think the novelty of football at Lamar would carry them through the first season and maybe even the second season.  By the third season, there would have to be some progress towards fielding a consistently winning team.  Recruiting local kids can only get you so far wihtout results.

Now I agree that there is a lot of local talent in the Golden Triangle area, but the main focus has to be in winning - no matter where the recruits actually reside o rplayed high school ball.

Whereas that is true, Lamar has a habit of going overseas etc to get kids in other sports.  My intention is not on disrespecting those students but the community at least needs to know or have possibly heard of some players.  Lamar promotes itself as "our" community university so they have to show it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder