Question For All??

Guest Orangeboy

There are a few small guys who are given a shot and they make the most of what they are given. I think Rock would be one of these guys as well if given a shot.

Everybody wants to know why ?? was passed up but its not the player its the parents not exposing their kids, now I'm NOT speaking of a kid that throws in the 90s or one that has 6.0 speed. The Tx Allstar game is not really a showcase per say, as look whats going on at the same time>>College WS, to soon after the draft, most MLB scouts are running around trying to sign players, now the game the Texas Prof scouting assc puts on is the ultimate. Been a few yrs but it was held in Arlington and Houston with alternating yrs and most were JRs. Size don't really matter that much in college, my son played with a guy from Ok in college that was 5'8" but threw in the low 90s, was in upper 80s in HS. IMO parents wait till the boy is a Sr. and should showcase the summer after his Jr yr so as they can be followed during the Senior yr. Best bet for any unsigned player is to pay the first Sem and try and walk on and hopefully will get a offer the second semester, have seen kids get some compensation by doing work on the field. I have sat and visited with my sons college coaches and noticed a pile of videos on his desk from potential players. NEVER NEVER wait on something to come your way>>you go get it.   

Actually, it was a little disappointing.  There were very few scouts, recruiters, etc. at the game.  I did see someone from A&M and Texas State but a surprisingly low turnout.

The two D-1 coaches you mentioned were at the 1A2A3A game to see if there were any diamonds in the rough that were over looked.  They stayed for game two to watch the couple of kids they had already signed.  Every kid in game two had already been picked up by somebody.  Also there was the new coach at Texarkana Junior College. 

Well said 643. I agree completely...Way too many fish in the pond to wait around and see if something happens. Fortunately, mine happens to be a left-handed pitcher which helps a great deal...but still the competition out there is pretty fierce.

Everybody wants to know why ?? was passed up but its not the player its the parents not exposing their kids, now I'm NOT speaking of a kid that throws in the 90s or one that has 6.0 speed. The Tx Allstar game is not really a showcase per say, as look whats going on at the same time>>College WS, to soon after the draft, most MLB scouts are running around trying to sign players, now the game the Texas Prof scouting assc puts on is the ultimate. Been a few yrs but it was held in Arlington and Houston with alternating yrs and most were JRs. Size don't really matter that much in college, my son played with a guy from Ok in college that was 5'8" but threw in the low 90s, was in upper 80s in HS. IMO parents wait till the boy is a Sr. and should showcase the summer after his Jr yr so as they can be followed during the Senior yr. Best bet for any unsigned player is to pay the first Sem and try and walk on and hopefully will get a offer the second semester, have seen kids get some compensation by doing work on the field. I have sat and visited with my sons college coaches and noticed a pile of videos on his desk from potential players. NEVER NEVER wait on something to come your way>>you go get it.   

Good post.

How does a business grow? Is it adverstising, location or staff? None of the above, it's referrals.

I've seen over the years, especially in baseball, it's the kid in college who can help the most. They know what it takes to be successful at the college level, be it in the  classroom, practice field or being a good teamate.

So all you underclassmen that have played against or with a college player, what you did during the game will definetly influence his decision when his coach gets his opinion on a kid he is recruiting that he may know.

I said it once and I will say it again, EXPOSURE,EXPOSURE,EXPOSURE.

If you have played on a MAJOR Summer Select team as a soph., Jr, than you have faced outstanding competition and have been seen by hundreds of scouts. If not than you need to hit the tryout circuit in the Houston area as well as East Texas so you can be seen.

By this time most of the JUCO's have either 1 or no scholarships left and that is out of 27, this past weekend was the biggest tourney of every year the Houston Heat invitational where all of the schools are looking to replace drafted as well as players who moved up a level, but do to the weather it was rained out so do not give up just yet. Hit the tryout camps hard.

For the next yrs seniors, Kyle Chapman Pony in Bayland Park (Houston) puts on a Fall season ran by Mike Rutlege that is one of the best showcases in Texas. This is not affilated with Pony Ball, they just use the cities park for the games. Mike has ran this Fall program for 10+ yrs and is comprised of about 8 Houston teams with some of the best players in the Houston area, he has a spot for a Golden Tri team but I think the last yr a local team played was in the fall of 97. One of the requirements is you NOT play HS Football as this is dedicated to showcaseing future baseball players. They do have some HS teams but there are a few that are VERY select teams. I know the team my son played for (Lone Star) was made up of players recommended by MLB scouts among others and 90% of all players on this team went on to College and will say more than 1/2 went on the the professional level from this ONE team. EVERY game there were several scouts there both college and MLB scouts, I even saw coach Gilligan there on a cpl of occasions. After the 10 or so games they pick 2 allstar teams from this league to go to Blinn for a 3 game series, from this series they cut 1/2 and then fly to Dallas to play big Ds best, then return to A&M to play the best from the SA area. Mike Rutledge is known to have one of the most consistant best teams in Texas, is well known to all scouts and college coaches and has been to the PONY World Series SEVERAL times. IMO I would NOT go unless I had the best players in the Golden Tri. and surrounding areas or you will not get past the 5th inn. I used to have a contact # for Mike but its been several yrs and would recommend contacting Kyle Chapmans league for info. Once again no football players allowed, only players dedicated to continuing their career in BB.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder