Coach Of The Year??

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

From High Island to West Brook coaches did a great job this year. Who would you vote on for Coach of the year up to this point?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of nominees:

High Island -- district title and 1st playoff appearance since 1998

Jasper -- district title in most competitive district in area

LCM -- 1 returning starter?  another district title

West Brook -- 1st district title since 1995 in one of most competitive districts in state

Thats for starters...

Guest Pirate V Ball

Kyle Green. Gets Vidor in the playoffs for the first time in school history.

The LCM coach done a wonderful job with only a couple of SR's.

Coach Terrier in Buna took a 3 district win team and put up an 11-1 record and the first district title in 17 years, and a #9 Ranking in the thsbca poll. Great job coach and oh yeah they are only losing 2 starting sr.'s and Muckelroy. Good luck in the playoffs.

My prediction is this site will have 9 coaches of the year.

High Island-First year did a great job

LCM-District champs 1 returner

Vidor-First playoff birth

Jasper-Took crown from BC

Nederland-Got back in it after a terrible start

WB-1st district title in a decade, very tough district

PNG-all new pitching staff still got second

Buna-Almost undefeated

HJ/Silsbee-who ever gets in for getting through such a tough district.

Too many cinderella stories this year to decide on just one coach who is most deserving of this title.  I know within each district the coach of the #1 team is named Coach of the Year, deservedly so.  On this site if only one is to be named out of all of these coaches, I guess you would have to look at the type of competition faced in their respective district, overall season record, district record, how many returning starters they had to work with, pre-season predictions on how their team would do, etc.  All of the ones named thus far have got to be front runners for this title.

It would require some work on one of the administrator/moderator's parts, but I would like to see some of this information laid out for people to review before placing their vote.  As of now, just looks like whatever team you are rooting for is the coach you will vote for, which I am trying to keep from doing before placing my vote (cough, cough, Griff, cough)...

Coach Terrier in Buna took a 3 district win team and put up an 11-1 record and the first district title in 17 years, and a #9 Ranking in the thsbca poll. Great job coach and oh yeah they are only losing 2 starting sr.'s and Muckelroy. Good luck in the playoffs.

Although, Coach Terrier is an excellent coach, one should examine why he had a 3 district win team last year but produced an 11 district win team this season.  Let's look shall we:

Buna had to play in 3A last year against Jasper, Silsbee, Kirbyville, Coldspring, Shepherd in which there are only two baseball powers.  They won 3 games in their 3A district.  

This season Buna played in 2A against Kountze, Deweyville, Warren, etc..  Makes a big difference!  

Like from the outhouse to the penthouse!

Terrier is definately the District Coach of the Year, but not the SE Texas coach of the year.

Coach Griff-but why you ask?

The "cupboard is bare" scenario-graduated pretty much his whole team from last year...has 1 returning starter..and 3 other senior in a team pretty much filled with juniors and sophomores.  Wins 22-4A district championship...

Overcomes the Forum nay-sayers-If you were to go back and look at the history of this forum, you would see that up until the last scheduled district game there were a lot of "non-LCM" doubters...again...wins 22-4A district championship for a second straight year...

I would like to nominate Coach Robb Kirkland.  He is the 4th Head Coach that HJ has had in 4 years.  It is tough to come in to that situation and do well, but he has.  He has done a great job with our team.  Every one predicted HJ to come out last or next to last in our district this year and even with some key players injured we have made some noise in our district.  I attribute this to his good coaching. 

Coach Griff! One returning starter,no returning varsity pitchers,no returning regular season varsity subs. Four different soph pitchers started district games,and I mean games against Vidor, Nederland, PNG.As many as five Soph starters in the field.Played one of, if not the toughest schedules in the area,Brenham tourney, Jasper tourney,district 22-4a, and went 25 -4 for the season.This team was picked to finish in the bottom third of the district by most people.This team got better and better as the year went on, LCM lost at home to Vidor and PNG in the first half of district play. Then went undefeated the rest of the way beating Vidor, PNG, and Nederland on the road in the second half of district,a very tough task. Most people thought this was the year to get LCM, and if the Bears make the playoffs it would be a surprise.This team didn't just get into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, they won the district championship.I believe the Bears had a higher hill to climb this year than any team, and they got it done in a bigger way, so my vote goes to Griff. All the other coaches did a great job also and are worthy of coach of the year, I just think from where Griff started this season to where his team finished this year was a greater distance traveled than any other team.

Coach Griff! One returning starter,no returning varsity pitchers,no returning regular season varsity subs. Four different soph pitchers started district games,and I mean games against Vidor, Nederland, PNG.As many as five Soph starters in the field.Played one of, if not the toughest schedules in the area,Brenham tourney, Jasper tourney,district 22-4a, and went 25 -4 for the season.This team was picked to finish in the bottom third of the district by most people.This team got better and better as the year went on, LCM lost at home to Vidor and PNG in the first half of district play. Then went undefeated the rest of the way beating Vidor, PNG, and Nederland on the road in the second half of district,a very tough task. Most people thought this was the year to get LCM, and if the Bears make the playoffs it would be a surprise.This team didn't just get into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, they won the district championship.I believe the Bears had a higher hill to climb this year than any team, and they got it done in a bigger way, so my vote goes to Griff. All the other coaches did a great job also and are worthy of coach of the year, I just think from where Griff started this season to where his team finished this year was a greater distance traveled than any other team.

Very well said.  I agree 100%.  And while we are at it, props to Coach Stevenson as well, couldn't ask for a better assistant coach.  The Dynamic Duo indeed.

Regarding Jackhammers comment..........I think the post was supposed to be for positive responses.....Buna is now playing schools closer to their enrollment numbers.....Kountze, Anahuac, East Chambers, and Warren are old district friends from the past.......11-1 is pretty good, no matter what district you came out of.........As for "Coach of the Year", that is all a matter of opinion....Lots of good coaches in the area........Good Luck to everyone in the playoffs...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder