Jasper playing Crosby

fishcat

1 hour ago, LCM17 said:

I use words like great for Katy, Carthage, Lake Travis and so on. Lol

Yeah, I would also use them on teams like Manvel, Westfield, Cy-Ranch, Klein Collins, San Angelo Central, Lamar and so on. Maybe you're just talking about teams that have won a state championship in the last 60 years though? 

21 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, I would also use them on teams like Manvel, Westfield, Cy-Ranch, Klein Collins, San Angelo Central, Lamar and so on. Maybe you're just talking about teams that have won a state championship in the last 60 years though? 

I'd say atleast the last 10. 60 years I'd put PNG and Odessa Permian in there lol

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I mean, after watching what is supposed to be Jasper's highlight film I don't see why you would think that? Last team you played that ran a spread dropped 50 on you. The way y'all line up against on defense against the spread formation and the way your dbs cover, it looks to me like Crosby should easily be in the mid 40's by the time Riordan shuts them down.

This is the hidden content, please

Simple .. our DB's were young and our kids learned a lot from the Gilmer game... our DC will have a good scheme for Crosby 

1 hour ago, LCM17 said:

I'd say atleast the last 10. 60 years I'd put PNG and Odessa Permian in there lol

Well, I'm sure all those teams I named would disagree with you and none of them have won a state title in the last 10 years while all have been ranked nationally multiple times in that same period which is why I highlighted them. Says a lot considering Manvel and Cy-Ranch haven't even been playing varsity football 10 years yet.

1 hour ago, T-daddy said:

Simple .. our DB's were young and our kids learned a lot from the Gilmer game... our DC will have a good scheme for Crosby 

IDK, I guess I'm just not seeing it? How do you give up 500+ yards and 50 points to a spread team, not see your team play a game this year and know the dbs improved in coverage and the DC will have a good scheme? Doesn't seem like covering the spread is the defense's only issue though. Seems like every team Jasper played that was decent at the line of scrimmage last year rammed down their throat.

19 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

IDK, I guess I'm just not seeing it? How do you give up 500+ yards and 50 points to a spread team, not see your team play a game this year and know the dbs improved in coverage and the DC will have a good scheme? Doesn't seem like covering the spread is the defense's only issue though. Seems like every team Jasper played that was decent at the line of scrimmage last year rammed down their throat.

Dang has Jasper fallen so much that we are being trashed by a team just twice our size?  Sad state of affairs if it is so.   The Dogs have eaten many such opponents for lunch in by-gone years.  I guess we will just have to play for the moral victory and be thankful the almighty Crosby stooped to our level during these topsy turvy times. 

On a real note, Barbay sure has tried very hard to pick up a game these last couple weeks.  Good to see we landed one that will be a true measuring stick as to if we are starting to turn the corner.  

On 9/3/2017 at 0:20 AM, Bulldogs92 said:

The last time Jasper played the Cougars was in the 1984 playoffs. I expect a different outcome this time around. The Bulldogs won that night by 70. 

I was on Crosby's team when this game was played. I was JV that got to suite up...I never thought I would end up playing in the game. Jasper might have broke 100 points if I'd played entire game. 

I would like to see some pay back, go Cougars.

I'm so ready for football after this past week I really don't mind the drive but I will hate the drive home if we lose. 

5 hours ago, Hupernikomen said:

Dang has Jasper fallen so much that we are being trashed by a team just twice our size?  Sad state of affairs if it is so.   The Dogs have eaten many such opponents for lunch in by-gone years.  I guess we will just have to play for the moral victory and be thankful the almighty Crosby stooped to our level during these topsy turvy times. 

On a real note, Barbay sure has tried very hard to pick up a game these last couple weeks.  Good to see we landed one that will be a true measuring stick as to if we are starting to turn the corner.  

Eaten many such opponents like who? The last 5A team Jasper beat that actually won more than two games that season was 5-7 Worthing out of HISD in a year Jasper was 2-8 themselves in 2010. Every other time they've played a 5A school in that span they've given up at least 41 points with Lumberton being the most when they dropped 56. It's not about stooping to some level, its football talk. You give your reasons for your thoughts and I give mine, that's what the board is for. Not to sit around every week and say, "It's going to be a great game" just because there's going to be one played. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Eaten many such opponents like who? The last 5A team Jasper beat that actually won more than two games that season was 5-7 Worthing out of HISD in a year Jasper was 2-8 themselves in 2010. Every other time they've played a 5A school in that span they've given up at least 41 points with Lumberton being the most when they dropped 56. It's not about stooping to some level, its football talk. You give your reasons for your thoughts and I give mine, that's what the board is for. Not to sit around every week and say, "It's going to be a great game" just because there's going to be one played. 

Unfortunately since the days of Walkoviak, we do not schedule the teams twice our size as we did in the past.  I was upset when we quit playing Lufkin.  They too got too big for us..even though we beat them 5 out of 8 times in the 80-90's.

Playing teams better than you is a good thing.  I am glad the circumstances forced this "showdown," and from our perspective it will be a "great" game.  Who knows maybe Crosby does return the favor and puts a 70 point beat down on Jasper.   I get it, you take pride in your team and don't like not being respected to the level you feel Crosby deserves.  You have had a very good 3 year stretch with some amazing athletes.   Jasper had a pretty good year last year, and if indications of the scrimmage against a Newton team 1/2 our size tells us anything, we might be a bit better this year.

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Neither does the band . . . 

Lol, touché.  

Btw, not sure how y'all would normally come to Jasper, but I'd suggest going N59 to Livingston and taking E190.  I-10 flooded between Vidor & Bmt, & bridge out on 96 North between Bmt & Lumberton.  

If I-10 opens by Game day, you take it to Hi 62 North (right before you get to Orange)  to Buna and turn on 96.  As of now, I'm thinking that's another option, again IF I-10 opens.

12 hours ago, Hupernikomen said:

Unfortunately since the days of Walkoviak, we do not schedule the teams twice our size as we did in the past.  I was upset when we quit playing Lufkin.  They too got too big for us..even though we beat them 5 out of 8 times in the 80-90's.

Playing teams better than you is a good thing.  I am glad the circumstances forced this "showdown," and from our perspective it will be a "great" game.  Who knows maybe Crosby does return the favor and puts a 70 point beat down on Jasper.   I get it, you take pride in your team and don't like not being respected to the level you feel Crosby deserves.  You have had a very good 3 year stretch with some amazing athletes.   Jasper had a pretty good year last year, and if indications of the scrimmage against a Newton team 1/2 our size tells us anything, we might be a bit better this year.

I guess the Newton guy had a different opinion of the scrimmage looking at his comment? The silver lining I see for Crosby in this game is that Jasper runs the antiquated wing-T which we would normally never see unless we lined up with Angleton or Calallen, even though Angleton runs it with 5-stars like BJ Foster while Calallen has Danaher.

I like the fact we get to work on run fits to start the season but I don't like the fact we won't get any real work against the pass and we have to line up with BH to open district play who is going to air it out. I think Crosby's win in this game would be to hold Jasper to 250 total yards or less, even though y'all are a couple of divisions below us I think that would be an accomplishment for the Cougars and something to build on moving forward into district play.      

38 minutes ago, T-daddy said:

Maybe the jasper coaches will bring up some JV players in case we hand them another 70 point beat down... 

after watching the Crosby highlight film cougar 14.2 is definitely a homer!!! They for sure ain't all that !!!

What highlight film did you watch?

The #8 all-purpose back in the country committed to Baylor that runs 4.36 and finished 3rd at state in the 100m? -

The receiver that's going to put up 1,000+ and already getting FBS offers, basically uncheckable? -

Maybe it was the 6-3 southpaw under center who will also play qb at the FBS level? -

I might be a homer but that's a tough sell when people in the NCAA that do it for a living agree with me.

32 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I guess the Newton guy had a different opinion of the scrimmage looking at his comment? The silver lining I see for Crosby in this game is that Jasper runs the antiquated wing-T which we would normally never see unless we lined up with Angleton or Calallen, even though Angleton runs it with 5-stars like BJ Foster while Calallen has Danaher.

I like the fact we get to work on run fits to start the season but I don't like the fact we won't get any real work against the pass and we have to line up with BH to open district play who is going to air it out. I think Crosby's win in this game would be to hold Jasper to 250 total yards or less, even though y'all are a couple of divisions below us I think that would be an accomplishment for the Cougars and something to build on moving forward into district play.      

Doesn't that just sound weird?

9 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Doesn't that just sound weird?

Are you referring to the fact that BH ran the Slot T?   Seems like I remember someone posting that before that got Coach Belichick Jr last year, from the University of Allen.  They put it up now, that's for sure.

Don't be surprised when Jasper wins this one. Despite the hype, Crosby is only a shell of what they have been the past couple of years. The RB is solid, but everything else is suspect. The QB has yet to prove he can actually play and the receiver that was mentioned is just a decent player. These guys have proven over the years to be nothing more than weight room heroes. They run fast on the track, they utilize social media to make sure everyone thinks they're special, and they play cheesy videos at their home games to try and create a college-like atmosphere. As far as the substance on the football field, it's often pretty average. Crosby has never proven that they can play any defense at all and that is what will get them beat on Friday. I think Jasper will punch them in the mouth and run the ball for as much as they want whenever they want it. I think this unproven Crosby offense will prove to be anemic in the passing game allowing Jasper to stack the box and contain the RB. If you force the QB to throw, you will quickly learn that he cannot do it.

Jasper wins by a touchdown and sets Crosby up to have a 6-4 year.