Jasper playing Crosby

fishcat

20 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Crosby has too much depth for Jasper. This game will be close for a half, but the Coogs will simply outlast Jasper. Not a large disparity in top terr talent, just more of it in Crosby.

Also in my experience, once Riordan gets up, he doesn't run the score up. 1) he doesn't try to embarrass teams and 2) once up, instead of called BH plays to keep scoring, he calls plays for the kids to work on and for film for future opponents. 

I'm not saying that will happen Friday night. I'm just saying I've seen many games over the last few years where Crosby could have put up much bigger numbers than they did. As a fan, at the time, I want us to keep scoring. But after my adrenaline comes down I am proud that I support a team that doesn't try to humiliate its opponents. 

And let me go on the record saying this. There are no excuses or reasons why we didn't win the State Championship in '14 or why we don't make deeper than 2nd round runs regularly. We are a 5A team. To win we have to beat other 5A teams in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if those schools have more or fewer kids. That's our draw. No excuses. Think about what is was like back in the day when there want D1 & D2 and only one team made the playoffs. The current system is more fair than ever. No crying here. Line up and win. 

14 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

And let me go on the record saying this. There are no excuses or reasons why we didn't win the State Championship in '14 or why we don't make deeper than 2nd round runs regularly. We are a 5A team. To win we have to beat other 5A teams in the playoffs. It doesn't matter if those schools have more or fewer kids. That's our draw. No excuses. Think about what is was like back in the day when there want D1 & D2 and only one team made the playoffs. The current system is more fair than ever. No crying here. Line up and win. 

Not sure how it happened but the Crosby Jasper thread is in the lead. Lol. I agree completely with your above statement.

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

51 wins to Jasper's 38 and 3 consecutive district titles, 23-1 at home the last five years with last loss coming in 2012. 30+ NCAA signees with Raelon Singleton about to be drafted in the next couple of years with Chance Casey making three starts for the Raiders in he secondary.

12 consecutive post-season appearances and only 1 first round loss the last nine years. Reached #2 in the AP poll and the last 5A in this coverage area to win the region since Dayton nearly a decade ago. Find me another 5A school in Houston that can match that besides Manvel. 

Your failed to do research which is why you continuously made false post on our record which is the dumb part. If the only thing you can point to are state championships and records beginning nearly a century ago you just told me we're pretty damn salty. Unlike y'all, we don't worry about the history over here because we're legit right now. I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long . . . 

Finally a Crosby poster with some sense. Cotton was a great QB and Howard has a long way to go to get to that level. Who do you think QB'd the team that made that state semifinal run? It certainly wasn't Howard. To date Howard has won nothing but the hype trophy that is given out each year in Crosby. One place where we would disagree is on the deep ball. While Cotton certainly had his issues in that area, Howard does too. I see him consistently underthrowing open receivers and causing them to have to stop their routes and come back for the ball. Kinda tired of this argument, might just wait until Saturday to talk more.

8 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Finally a Crosby poster with some sense. Cotton was a great QB and Howard has a long way to go to get to that level. Who do you think QB'd the team that made that state semifinal run? It certainly wasn't Howard. To date Howard has won nothing but the hype trophy that is given out each year in Crosby. One place where we would disagree is on the deep ball. While Cotton certainly had his issues in that area, Howard does too. I see him consistently underthrowing open receivers and causing them to have to stop their routes and come back for the ball. Kinda tired of this argument, might just wait until Saturday to talk more.

I'm good with that. 

19 hours ago, 2wedge said:

You think he's a better pure passer than Tristan Cotton?

uh yeah.  By a ton.  Cotton was an amazing athlete with decent decision making.  But any pass over 20yds became a rainbow jump ball.  He couldn't deliver at distance.  

Howard is the best I have seen for Crosby, arm wise, for the last 5 years.  He isn't the hard runner that Cotton was.  Maybe top end faster.  That is just an eye test, Cotton graduated a while ago.

11 hours ago, T-daddy said:

14.2  you keep referring to our O-line but it's right in line with Crosby's... your line runs 230-240 that's not big on any level

Where are you getting your info on Crosby's line?  You are close but add about 20 to 30 lbs to that average.  Plus you guys forget this line is basically the same line as last year.  not too mention one of them made all-state last year. 

Heading to the Fresh/JV game tonight.  My younger son played with a lot of the 9th graders through little league and my older son played with the JV kids and backup QB through junior high (awesome trombone player for the BRM now).  Good kids.  The 9th offense is run a little different (to use some different strengths)  than the varsity.  Just what I have seen from 2 scrimmages.  

Howards backup is a good QB also, but he is a sophomore and not even as good as Howard was last year.  

All the talk about the last 2 year playoff exits is legit.  No excuses but there are some contributing factors.  Last years theme seemed to be nagging injuries.  The year before was also injuries but Ridge Point was also more physical.  

How is that going to impact the team going forward?  Jeff mentioned in an interview about injuries and how they impact a teams chances to really go deep into the playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some rotations and decisions made to prevent injuries (personally think there isn't much you can do) and find ways to get the defense in better positions.  

1. Make the playoffs healthy.
  2. Put a young defense in good positions. (saw some special teams changes...interesting)

On 9/5/2017 at 3:49 PM, 2wedge said:

Don't be surprised when Jasper wins this one. Despite the hype, Crosby is only a shell of what they have been the past couple of years. The RB is solid, but everything else is suspect. The QB has yet to prove he can actually play and the receiver that was mentioned is just a decent player. These guys have proven over the years to be nothing more than weight room heroes. They run fast on the track, they utilize social media to make sure everyone thinks they're special, and they play cheesy videos at their home games to try and create a college-like atmosphere. As far as the substance on the football field, it's often pretty average. Crosby has never proven that they can play any defense at all and that is what will get them beat on Friday. I think Jasper will punch them in the mouth and run the ball for as much as they want whenever they want it. I think this unproven Crosby offense will prove to be anemic in the passing game allowing Jasper to stack the box and contain the RB. If you force the QB to throw, you will quickly learn that he cannot do it.

Jasper wins by a touchdown and sets Crosby up to have a 6-4 year.

I see they got the good stuff where you live. 

48 minutes ago, JasperBulldogs_GivingL's said:

Crosby suck bad, we going to lock down #11 and #21

your crazy if you think that is all we have.    A lot of depth an experience at WR.   So keep thinking that number 11 and 21 is all you need to lock down that will be a big mistake.   prediction: 21 will have a career night. 

1 hour ago, Code Red 2018 said:

your crazy if you think that is all we have.    A lot of depth an experience at WR.   So keep thinking that number 11 and 21 is all you need to lock down that will be a big mistake.   prediction: 21 will have a career night. 

Prediction:  you should be in class and not worried about this message board.

1 hour ago, texbuzz said:

uh yeah.  By a ton.  Cotton was an amazing athlete with decent decision making.  But any pass over 20yds became a rainbow jump ball.  He couldn't deliver at distance.  

Howard is the best I have seen for Crosby, arm wise, for the last 5 years.  He isn't the hard runner that Cotton was.  Maybe top end faster.  That is just an eye test, Cotton graduated a while ago.

By a ton? Cotton graduated two years ago....you know, the year Crosby made the semis. Howard will play QB a lot like Walter used to, but not nearly as effective. They will try to make him a passer, but he will prove to be a run first guy no matter what is drawn up. The kid will run at the first sign of pressure and will not want to throw the ball. You guys that want to call him a D1 prospect are outside of your minds and you are actually putting pressure on the kid that doesn't need to be there. Let him be who he is and he will be serviceable for you.

24 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

By a ton? Cotton graduated two years ago....you know, the year Crosby made the semis. Howard will play QB a lot like Walter used to, but not nearly as effective. They will try to make him a passer, but he will prove to be a run first guy no matter what is drawn up. The kid will run at the first sign of pressure and will not want to throw the ball. You guys that want to call him a D1 prospect are outside of your minds and you are actually putting pressure on the kid that doesn't need to be there. Let him be who he is and he will be serviceable for you.

Well, we ain't putting pressure on anybody.  A lot of guys on this forum somehow think they influence things on the field, sidelines, or coaches office by what they say on these boards.  Illusions of grandeur abound.  

My point, probably not worded well, was that I can only compare my memories of Cotton playing (watched every snap of every game in the stands) to a couple of Howard's games last year and the scrimmages this year.  2 years is a long time to accurately remember Cottons performance and try to compare to another player.  And not taking into account other factors such as offensive line, defense providing good field position.  Howard did win the Newcomer of the year award for the district last year.  He showed something to those guys that vote for that stuff.

Howard wants to pass.  He knows that is his strength.  

And I am not being snarky, but if I polled this thread, lots of folks think this is a cake walk or tune up for Crosby.  Go to MaxPreps and the rankings for the teams are not.  They show Crosby at #300 in the state overall, and Jasper at #156 in the state overall.  Now I get it, rankings aren't worth a hill of beans compared to the scoreboard.  Spare me.  

Did most of us here miss something?

Is there something screwy with the rankings on MaxPreps?

1 hour ago, OHANA/Cougars said:

I expect #10 to go off.  People just don't know.  That kid is a killer.