Affirmative action

Big girl

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

So, you and big girl are ok with racism as long as it works to your advantage.  I call that racism, and y'all are a bunch of hypocrites.

Are you okay with white kids getting into college, because they have rich parents and or they take advantage of legacy programs?

What is the ethnic makeup of Baylor University?
African Americans make up about 8% of Baylor's undergraduate student body; for reference, the rest of the undergraduate breakdown is 65% white, 14% Hispanic, 8% Asian, 5% other/unknown. Overall, Baylor's racial minority percentage is around 34%, making our student body the second-most diverse in the Big 12.

25 minutes ago, Big girl said:

8% black. 65% white. The question was about black vs white. :)

The nationwide number is 11% for blacks in 4 yr colleges.  Baylor is a private school which cost about $40k a year to attend which I'm sure has a little to do the numbers being lower.  

As the Supreme Court determined in 

This is the hidden content, please
, the private American college does not exist for some ambiguous public improvement project; it exists to do as its trustees see fit. Part of the reason these schools can afford to be so generous is because they have devoted, generous alumni willing to give to make their school great. There’s no evidence that any college will enroll legacy students who aren’t otherwise prepared to succeed to college, but colleges have to keep the wishes of its generous graduates in mind.

That means the institutions can give out scholarships and build new buildings, it also means keeping alumni happy. An easy, and cheap, way to do this is to give legacy preferences. As long as no one gets hurt (and no one really does) the preference for such applicants makes a lot of sense. It’s time to let this one go.

7 hours ago, Big girl said:

Hate to break this to you Big girl, but the rich can buy a lot of things regular people can't.  There's an old saying, "money talks and bull poop walks".  Yep, they can afford to buy their kids way into colleges.  But rich is not a white exclusive club.  You think Tiger Woods couldn't afford to buy his children's way into college?  Rich is rich, it's not a race.

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

Are you okay with white kids getting into college, because they have rich parents and or they take advantage of legacy programs?

If they have the merits, it doesn't matter the race.  It is flat wrong for someone to get in ahead of someone with better grades, just because they are a minority.  That's racism at its finest.

7 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

Affirmative action blame your ancestors for being so racist. With out there prejudice there will be no affirmative action. So don't blame us. 

Nobody is blaming you!!  If ones credentials are not above someone else's, that someone else should not gain admission strictly because of their race. I'm just saying if admission between two applicants comes down to race and not merits, then that is racism.  Call it what you want.  We all have it better than our ancestors, some just tend to dwell in the past, rather than move forward.

23 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

Nobody is blaming you!!  If ones credentials are not above someone else's, that someone else should not gain admission strictly because of their race. I'm just saying if admission between two applicants comes down to race and not merits, then that is racism.  Call it what you want.  We all have it better than our ancestors, some just tend to dwell in the past, rather than move forward.

I'm all for the best at any and all things. Best man or woman qualified should get it.

1 hour ago, PAMFAM10 said:

I'm all for the best at any and all things. Best man or woman qualified should get it.

They complain about affirmative action,  yet they are ok with rich white parents buying their kids degrees and they are ok with legacy programs which heavily favor white kids. Hypocrites

23 hours ago, baddog said:

Please show me where that has happened. Blacks have struggled to pass the entrance exams. So instead of working harder in school, let's lower the qualifications so that everyone gets in, since we believe that everyone is " entitled" to an education. You see, when you don't have to earn your way in life, it affects the quality of education for all. 

Yeah, right. Where did you attend college?

11 minutes ago, Big girl said:

They complain about affirmative action,  yet they are ok with rich white parents buying their kids degrees and they are ok with legacy programs which heavily favor white kids. Hypocrites

I never said that, you're an idiot.  I said if your merits are better than the other, you should gain admission.  Not because if race.

14 hours ago, stevenash said:

As the Supreme Court determined in 

, the private American college does not exist for some ambiguous public improvement project; it exists to do as its trustees see fit. Part of the reason these schools can afford to be so generous is because they have devoted, generous alumni willing to give to make their school great. There’s no evidence that any college will enroll legacy students who aren’t otherwise prepared to succeed to college, but colleges have to keep the wishes of its generous graduates in mind.

That means the institutions can give out scholarships and build new buildings, it also means keeping alumni happy. An easy, and cheap, way to do this is to give legacy preferences. As long as no one gets hurt (and no one really does) the preference for such applicants makes a lot of sense. It’s time to let this one go.

Read the articles I posted. Those authors say otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Thoughts

If Affirmative Action benefits white women, it is a law that is not only racist, but sexist as well.  As others have stated, call it what you will, but it is what it is.  Blacks were not allowed in white schools - Racist.  White women benefit most from Affirmative Action - Racist & sexist.  

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

As I replied to you before, which you either didn't read, or you blocked it out of your mind, rich is not a race.  There are blacks parents that can buy their kids degrees.  

If you want to make an argument, stick to things that may be irrefutable, like the legacy programs.  Using rich in an argument about race or sexual discrimination only makes you appear rather petty, or not so knowledgeable on the subject.