Interesting

stevenash

This is an article from, of all places, the New York times offering its opinion on best and worst places for retirement.  Of the top 5 places, 4 of the states have Republican Governors.   OF the four WORST states, three have Democratic Governors.   Hmmmm ( There were  five "worst" places listed, but since D.C. is not technically a state, I omitted it)

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

This is an article from, of all places, the New York times offering its opinion on best and worst places for retirement.  Of the top 5 places, 4 of the states have Republican Governors.   OF the four WORST states, three have Democratic Governors.   Hmmmm ( There were  five "worst" places listed, but since D.C. is not technically a state, I omitted it)

This is the hidden content, please

They were last in quality of life. Doesn't that say it all?

2 hours ago, stevenash said:

You may be right.  Think taxes play a part in it?

Shazam, stevenash lands a powerful right hook to the jaw.  Westend is staggering.  He's in trouble folks.  Tune back in tomorrow to see if he's out, or able to make a comeback.  

I should've been a sports announcer :) 

22 minutes ago, westend1 said:

Maybe some small part.  Most likely due to population density  Pretty dang cheap to find a place to live in South Dakota.  DC?  Not so much

Hmmm- I was thinking the density in Florida ( desireable) was pretty high and in Alaska(undesireable) it was pretty low.  But maybe I am wrong.  I would also add that the formula for the evaluation was comprised of more than affordability.

25 minutes ago, new tobie said:

Here's an interesting fact, while under republican governor leadership Barack Obama won the state of florida in 2008 and 2012. Hmmmm.......stats are a mutha. 

Here is another one-  Mr. Obamas presidency essentially created Mr. Trumps ascendancy to the Presidency and the loss of over 1000 state legislature seats and majorities in the House and Senate

1 hour ago, new tobie said:

Here's an interesting fact, while under republican governor leadership Barack Obama won the state of florida in 2008 and 2012. Hmmmm.......stats are a mutha. 

You only deal with stats that are in your favor. The stats that Nash posted tell the story. You will act like those don't exist. Typical......

So the matrix is affordability, health care and Quality of life(whatever that is).     Taxes might affect affordability, but it would be a long stretch to say that it had any impact on the other two.  Meaning?   You can draw whatever conclusions fit your narrative.  Facts are a mutha.

32 minutes ago, westend1 said:

So the matrix is affordability, health care and Quality of life(whatever that is).     Taxes might affect affordability, but it would be a long stretch to say that it had any impact on the other two.  Meaning?   You can draw whatever conclusions fit your narrative.  Facts are a mutha.

Please explain what facts you are eluding to. I agree facts can be "a mutha", but you seem to be excruciatingly short on them, to the point that the "mutha facts" contradict your position. Please include the impact on the quality of the healthcare industry, especially research and development, when expounding on your (anticipated but sure to be phantom to nonexistent) reply.

6 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Hawaii and Alaska are bad places to retire because of cost of living. Everything has to be shipped in making things much more expensive. For instance where I live 1 can of Dr. Pepper costs .85 cents and there is no discount for 12 packs. And a meal at McDonalds is around 8-10 dollars. 

Holy holdup Raider.  I'm guessing obesity is not a problem there.  I'd be broke after the first week.

2 hours ago, REBgp said:

Holy holdup Raider.  I'm guessing obesity is not a problem there.  I'd be broke after the first week.

Actually it's the opposite. Because of how expensive things are the Pacific Islands have the highest obesity rates in the world. The main food is white rice (eaten 3x a day as the entree) and spam since they are cheap. My specific islands have either the 2nd or 3rd diabetes rate in the world. There was huge controversy when the schools switched to brown rice at lunch a few years ago as its healthier. 

We should be very healthy though since you sweat off 10 pounds a day. The high is 90 and the low is 82 daily with an average humidity of around 85%. The heat index hits 100 at 7 AM and dips below at 7 PM with midday being 107 normally.