Crosby vs Fort Bend Marshall

Cougar14.2

11 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, both of the backs are young sophomores and already over 180lbs with speed on reserve. Might be division one players in the future. Guard to guard on the o-line they probably average over 300lbs and have one of the better young linemen in country in Barton Clement. Two receivers that will also be a potential problem. Most of their studs are sophomore and juniors so they don't have the typical recruiting profiles yet.

They currently have three players in the league and a couple more that might go in college right now. They're nobody to be taken lightly and will definitely be the fastest team we've seen since Manvel but I'll take that any day over being dominated on both lines of scrimmage. Feel good about scoring on their defense, just wondering how Crosby matches up against that two back formation they get so many if their big run plays out of? 

Their guards are big but a little lazy.  that feeds into the 2 back formation you speak of.  QB has good A-gap protection that gives him a better mesh when they run the option off of it.  

The goal is getting to the edge with speed.  This will be a test for our rovers to take on blocks and push to the sideline.  I don't have the defensive scheme for Crosby but I would rather force their RB to challenge my corner coming up than a slower LB.  If the Rovers box and force the RB to cut, the RB has the advantage against a slower LB corps.  We don't really have plodding LB 's so it is less of an issue and 30 is going to punish a RB once he gets there.  Will be interesting to see how FB tests this in the 1st quarter.  It may be successful but their RB's will pay the iron price.  

Shammah should force to the sideline and 17 is playing better.  We had the same problem (it seemed, i wasn't on the sidelines) with RP.  They played disciplined and forced our speed to the sideline.  It seemed every running play was run out of bounds for little or no gain.  (I was screaming "GIVE THE BALL TO MCGEE!!").  

2 hours ago, texbuzz said:

You are right about that.  I think the talk was very cordial but the everyday Crosby fan felt Ridge Point was going to be a win.  Crosby had to do more than show up but it was a win.  That was wrong.

I am more cynical this year.  The only time I felt like Crosby had a sure thing all year was against Caney Creek.  (I missed the Dayton and Splendora game for work).   Crosby has one or two bad turnovers and some penalties, they lose.   There was some missed calls on Crosby in the Vidor game that would have changed the game.  Maybe once 21 is fully in the game plan and 88 doesn't have penalties against him (both great kids from great families), Crosby can walk away from teams.  Just haven't seen it that much.  

A dominant win here sets up nicely for a tough game in the next round (we can look ahead because we are just fans you know).  I want to see Brenham next because their fans are mouthy.  Crosby fans too but feisty fans are fun.  

Great post. The negative is that this Crosby team has not played at 100% yet (penalties, injuries, execution).

The good news is that this Crosby team has not played at 100% yet (how good can we be?). 

I think we could lose to Marshall. I think we could win 5 more. 

Go Coogs!!!

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, texbuzz said:

You are right about that.  I think the talk was very cordial but the everyday Crosby fan felt Ridge Point was going to be a win.  Crosby had to do more than show up but it was a win.  That was wrong.

I am more cynical this year.  The only time I felt like Crosby had a sure thing all year was against Caney Creek.  (I missed the Dayton and Splendora game for work).   Crosby has one or two bad turnovers and some penalties, they lose.   There was some missed calls on Crosby in the Vidor game that would have changed the game.  Maybe once 21 is fully in the game plan and 88 doesn't have penalties against him (both great kids from great families), Crosby can walk away from teams.  Just haven't seen it that much.  

A dominant win here sets up nicely for a tough game in the next round (we can look ahead because we are just fans you know).  I want to see Brenham next because their fans are mouthy.  Crosby fans too but feisty fans are fun.  

Not that I'm looking ahead but if we handle FB Marshall comfortably then I think we do the same to Brenham again. I don't think they'll cause us the matchup problems that Marshall could if they get the run game going or find a weak spot in our secondary to exploit. Marshall has given up 35, 48 and 63 points on defense at different times this year plus a bunch on yards to Santa Fe. As long as we play clean on the offensive side of the ball and on special teams I think Crosby making three or four defensive stops probably gets the W.  

13 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Not that I'm looking ahead but if we handle FB Marshall comfortably then I think we do the same to Brenham again. I don't think they'll cause us the matchup problems that Marshall could if they get the run game going or find a weak spot in our secondary to exploit. Marshall has given up 35, 48 and 63 points on defense at different times this year plus a bunch on yards to Santa Fe. As long as we play clean on the offensive side of the ball and on special teams I think Crosby making three or four defensive stops probably gets the W.  

That's the formula for every game. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Doesn't Brenham have to get through a pretty good Consolidated team first? 

3 hours ago, gohornets23 said:

Doesn't Brenham have to get through a pretty good Consolidated team first? 

After Georgetown earned the D2 #1 seed coming out of Cedar Park's district I felt like they could possibly be the team to beat on our side of the bracket after Brenham's head scratching loss to Willis. I don't think Consol.'s district is as good as GT's and they're still playing from the #2 seed behind College Station. When the bracket was set I felt like the GT/Brenham winner would reach the third round and still do.

On November 16, 2016 at 9:35 AM, texbuzz said:

Their guards are big but a little lazy.  that feeds into the 2 back formation you speak of.  QB has good A-gap protection that gives him a better mesh when they run the option off of it.  

The goal is getting to the edge with speed.  This will be a test for our rovers to take on blocks and push to the sideline.  I don't have the defensive scheme for Crosby but I would rather force their RB to challenge my corner coming up than a slower LB.  If the Rovers box and force the RB to cut, the RB has the advantage against a slower LB corps.  We don't really have plodding LB 's so it is less of an issue and 30 is going to punish a RB once he gets there.  Will be interesting to see how FB tests this in the 1st quarter.  It may be successful but their RB's will pay the iron price.  

Shammah should force to the sideline and 17 is playing better.  We had the same problem (it seemed, i wasn't on the sidelines) with RP.  They played disciplined and forced our speed to the sideline.  It seemed every running play was run out of bounds for little or no gain.  (I was screaming "GIVE THE BALL TO MCGEE!!").  

I highly doubt thats gonna happen. 

We are gonna force the in cut and feed them to our linebackers and safeties. We won't give up and edge that's a good way to give up 80 yard runs. Relying on your corners to cover and come up and be the difference in the run game is a terrible recipe. I'd be willing to Wager we force the in cut and Barnabay, Lewis, and the safeties get the responsibility of killing those backs.