Crosby vs Fort Bend Marshall

Cougar14.2

4 hours ago, panamamyers said:

You would think you would learn your lesson after underestimating ridge point. Crosby is going to again struggle with that fort bend type of speed.

FB Marshall barely has half the kids FB Ridge Point does. Lot different playing RP in the D2 playoffs with their 2,349 student enrollment than it will be playing Marshall with their 1,280 student enrollment. It wasn't the speed that killed us, it was the mismatch in the trenches which is the drastic difference between 5A and 6A. RP is also one of the better coached teams you'll find in the Houston area, not sure that's going to be the case with Marshall. 

The playoffs are about matchups and considering this is the #1 seed coming out of the Fort Bend district as far as D2, Crosby couldn't ask for a better one. This is one of he rare times we'll play one of the Fort Bend schools and have a personnel advantage. 

12 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

FB Marshall barely has half the kids FB Ridge Point does. Lot different playing RP in the D2 playoffs with their 2,349 student enrollment than it will be playing Marshall with their 1,280 student enrollment. It wasn't the speed that killed us, it was the mismatch in the trenches which is the drastic difference between 5A and 6A. RP is also one of the better coached teams you'll find in the Houston area, not sure that's going to be the case with Marshall. 

The playoffs are about matchups and considering this is the #1 seed coming out of the Fort Bend district as far as D2, Crosby couldn't ask for a better one. This is one of he rare times we'll play one of the Fort Bend schools and have a personnel advantage. 

I'm not going to underestimate them with our pedestrian running game this year against their 4-3 defense and their speedy secondary. I hope we can get more creative.

3 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

But before last years game you felt the same way about ridge point. You Are using revisionist history now to say it was a given that rp was a bad matchup.

So, much like you had trouble understanding last year, you are again having trouble this year, albeit for a different reason.

You've never heard me say once on here that I thought we had a personnel advantage over s team with 700 more kids than we have. Ridge Point had D1 kids all over the the field and was far superior to anything we had seen in the trenches that year. Crosby played Manvel about equal to what North Shore did and Marshall lost to them 63-6. Lot different playing 6A's in the 5A playoffs than it is playing 5A's in the 5A playoffs. 

5 hours ago, panamamyers said:

You would think you would learn your lesson after underestimating ridge point. Crosby is going to again struggle with that fort bend type of speed.

Ummm I love this. You do realize that ridge point ran a pro style offense right? Like 2-3rds of their plays where in the Singleback with 2 TE.

17 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

Ummm I love this. You do realize that ridge point ran a pro style offense right? Like 2-3rds of their plays where in the Singleback with 2 TE.

Yeah, and one of those TE's was 6-5, 235lb Mustapha Muhammad who also happens to be one of the top 10 recruits in the state in his class. Also had linemen like Marcus Montemayor(Alcorn St.) 6-2/275, Jack Greene(Rice) 6-3/315 and Travis Bruffy(Texas Tech) 6-7/285. Throw in BJ Rainford running behind them and that's pretty sick. 

Marshall is the normal shotgun spread team. Qb is fast and their sophomore rb does have over 1,000 rushing yards but I don't think they execute like RP or Elgin who we've lost to in the second round recently. I also don't think Marshall has the defense of either.

19 hours ago, CougarCal said:

You'd think they'd be tired of flipping those big tractor tires by now.  VIDOR just plays until the end of the echo of whistle and you can't retaliate.  It's the plays that happen that are 25-30 yards from the play when the fouls just make you shake your head.

The whistle is a signal to finish blocks.  Hear the whistle, narrow your stance, bench press the defender, run your feet.  Doesn't work perfect every time but you get defenders on their back or they get mad and take a shot and you get your flag.  I loved Vidor offense.  

12 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

I think Crosby underestimated RP.  Looking back, that was not good.  I think the current staff is not underestimating anybody.  The coaches and team have been solely making decisions and driving for a deep playoff run.  I can assure you, they are focused on beating Marshall and not looking past them.  The decision to play 2 tough out of district games, not putting a lot of different stuff on film, decisions to hold out kids longer than normal after injury, a whole lot of play it safe and get on the bus 2nd halves.  Do the things now to help in the playoffs later.  There is a ton of the offensive playbook that is not being shown.  #21 can run, he is close to 100% if not there.  But they only put him in space one time, and he scored.  Then they pulled him.  How many times have they thrown to the RB out of the backfield?  

Now, I don't agree with all those decisions but I understand the why.  

11 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

I think Crosby underestimated RP.  Looking back, that was not good.  I think the current staff is not underestimating anybody.  The coaches and team have been solely making decisions and driving for a deep playoff run.  I can assure you, they are focused on beating Marshall and not looking past them.  The decision to play 2 tough out of district games, not putting a lot of different stuff on film, decisions to hold out kids longer than normal after injury, a whole lot of play it safe and get on the bus 2nd halves.  Do the things now to help in the playoffs later.  There is a ton of the offensive playbook that is not being shown.  #21 can run, he is close to 100% if not there.  But they only put him in space one time, and he scored.  Then they pulled him.  How many times have they thrown to the RB out of the backfield?  

Now, I don't agree with all those decisions but I understand the why.  

Sounds good to me. I sure hope your right.

But before the game last year, crosby fans were not rattling off how great the ridge point trenches were and how much of an advantage they would have in size.

It was simply that crosby would win by three touchdowns because Ridge point no longer had bulmer and the defense wasn't as good as it was the previous year.

So, now Marshall doesn't stand a chance. next year it will be Elkins and we  all look back and talk about how Elkins doesn't have the same speed in the defensive backfield as Marshall and that's the only reason Marshall won.

13 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

But before the game last year, crosby fans were not rattling off how great the ridge point trenches were and how much of an advantage they would have in size.

It was simply that crosby would win by three touchdowns because Ridge point no longer had bulmer and the defense wasn't as good as it was the previous year.

So, now Marshall doesn't stand a chance. next year it will be Elkins and we  all look back and talk about how Elkins doesn't have the same speed in the defensive backfield as Marshall and that's the only reason Marshall won.

Marshall has a chance to win. I'd think Crosby would be the favorite, but I, for one, expect this and all remaining games to be close and hinge on penalties and turnovers. 

1 hour ago, panamamyers said:

I'm sure with all of the film that the coaches watched they had no clue either. Maybe just maybe RP was much a much better team.  Just like this year with New Caney.  They are going to get housed by Manvel this week, but their fans and all of us are optimistic.  You just don't like this side of the river, we get it!

2 hours ago, panamamyers said:

Isn't it so terrible that these terrible Crosby fans for the last 10 years has had to keep these guys talking trash after your 10 games are over.Shame on you guys HEHE ! Go COUGS !

34 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

I'm from baytown originally, so I have no problem with that  side of the river.

I don't live next to Ridge point any more either.

I just need yall to be a little more humble is all.

3 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

Marshall has a chance to win. I'd think Crosby would be the favorite, but I, for one, expect this and all remaining games to be close and hinge on penalties and turnovers. 

Just sayin'

If you're sleeping on this team WAKE up they have track stars all over the field. One good game plan and a few missed tackles add a turnover or two and the Cougars lose this one. 

They aren't ridge point they are a completely different challenge. This team may be faster than we are and we haven't played anyone sans Manvel that can say that. 

COUGARS PLAY A GOOD GAME ITS A W. 

14 hours ago, panamamyers said:

Ok ok.

I'm just talking to see myself talk. it just struck me as funny that a lot of the discussion sounded just like it did last year before Ridge point. 

Good luck this weekend.

I see your point a lot of people expect the cougs to win big same as last year but I think we have a much better shot this year than last. But I get your point.

Not one of those Track Stars from last years State Champion track Team play football...

They have speed true, but those Elite Track guys with the crazy times last year were seniors and the only returner is a JR, Shamon Emiehua-and he is committed to Florida State for Track!!! We will see him in the olympics one day. HE DONT TOUCH THE FOOTBALL FIELD1

Crosby has SPEED too

9 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

If you're sleeping on this team WAKE up they have track stars all over the field. One good game plan and a few missed tackles add a turnover or two and the Cougars lose this one. 

They aren't ridge point they are a completely different challenge. This team may be faster than we are and we haven't played anyone sans Manvel that can say that. 

COUGARS PLAY A GOOD GAME ITS A W. 

Yeah, both of the backs are young sophomores and already over 180lbs with speed on reserve. Might be division one players in the future. Guard to guard on the o-line they probably average over 300lbs and have one of the better young linemen in country in Barton Clement. Two receivers that will also be a potential problem. Most of their studs are sophomore and juniors so they don't have the typical recruiting profiles yet.

They currently have three players in the league and a couple more that might go in college right now. They're nobody to be taken lightly and will definitely be the fastest team we've seen since Manvel but I'll take that any day over being dominated on both lines of scrimmage. Feel good about scoring on their defense, just wondering how Crosby matches up against that two back formation they get so many if their big run plays out of? 

On 11/15/2016 at 9:14 PM, panamamyers said:

Ok ok.

I'm just talking to see myself talk. it just struck me as funny that a lot of the discussion sounded just like it did last year before Ridge point. 

Good luck this weekend.

You are right about that.  I think the talk was very cordial but the everyday Crosby fan felt Ridge Point was going to be a win.  Crosby had to do more than show up but it was a win.  That was wrong.

I am more cynical this year.  The only time I felt like Crosby had a sure thing all year was against Caney Creek.  (I missed the Dayton and Splendora game for work).   Crosby has one or two bad turnovers and some penalties, they lose.   There was some missed calls on Crosby in the Vidor game that would have changed the game.  Maybe once 21 is fully in the game plan and 88 doesn't have penalties against him (both great kids from great families), Crosby can walk away from teams.  Just haven't seen it that much.  

A dominant win here sets up nicely for a tough game in the next round (we can look ahead because we are just fans you know).  I want to see Brenham next because their fans are mouthy.  Crosby fans too but feisty fans are fun.  

23 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

You are right about that.  I think the talk was very cordial but the everyday Crosby fan felt Ridge Point was going to be a win.  Crosby had to do more than show up but it was a win.  That was wrong.

I am more cynical this year.  The only time I felt like Crosby had a sure thing all year was against Caney Creek.  (I missed the Dayton and Splendora game for work).   Crosby has one or two bad turnovers and some penalties, they lose.   There was some missed calls on Crosby in the Vidor game that would have changed the game.  Maybe once 21 is fully in the game plan and 88 doesn't have penalties against him (both great kids from great families), Crosby can walk away from teams.  Just haven't seen it that much.  

A dominant win here sets up nicely for a tough game in the next round (we can look ahead because we are just fans you know).  I want to see Brenham next because their fans are mouthy.  Crosby fans too but feisty fans are fun.