Floyd's On Fire

baddog

20 hours ago, baddog said:

I'm hearing the damage may be minimal and confined to the dining area. Someone let me know if you hear a reopening date. Thanks.

I have three friends coming in from MO next Thursday and they usually make a stop at Floyd's before they leave. I hope another week is long enough to get it backup and running. 

9 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I have three friends coming in from MO next Thursday and they usually make a stop at Floyd's before they leave. I hope another week is long enough to get it backup and running. 

I can understand why. Seafood in a landlocked state is high and can't be  near as fresh.  Hope it's open for them......and me. Maybe they will have some specials.

9 hours ago, baddog said:

I can understand why. Seafood in a landlocked state is high and can't be  near as fresh.  Hope it's open for them......and me. Maybe they will have some specials.

I ate at Larry's in Bridge City for the first time when they were in a few weeks ago (they come in to fish Sabine Lake during the fall runs). I thought it was pretty good. Not "awesome" as seems to be a popular word these days but it was good solid food. 

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

I have a question for y'all.  Do y'all think Papadeaux's is as good as it was 4 or 5 years ago?  Maybe just my taster, but to me, it's not as good.  Whole bunch of stuff doesn't work as well when you get old though lol.

Not impressed with Papadeaux's, but that's just me.

2 hours ago, REBgp said:

I have a question for y'all.  Do y'all think Papadeaux's is as good as it was 4 or 5 years ago?  Maybe just my taster, but to me, it's not as good.  Whole bunch of stuff doesn't work as well when you get old though lol.

I ate there one time in my life and that was 16 years ago. It was not bad but I wasn't impressed at all. I guess 16 years of not returning tells most of the tale.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I was ready for some really tasty food and it just wasn't. Again, not bad at all but I have had at least as good and better at other places. If someone wants to eat there tomorrow I will gladly go but I won't go out of my way to eat there if it is my choice. 

On 11/8/2016 at 1:21 PM, baddog said:

Yeah, I had people try to tell me that the seafood was good in AR when I lived there, I told them no thanks and look at a map! :)

On 11/8/2016 at 1:21 PM, baddog said:

Actually it is according to what kind of seafood. As as example "fresh" shrimp here is rarely fresh as in, "not frozen".

Almost all shrimp now is frozen on the deck of the boats a few minutes after being caught. The boats might stay out for up to 4 weeks. So when you go to a local fish market and get that "fresh" shrimp, it might be a month old an frozen. Of course they thaw it before putting it into the pan to be sold so you aren't usually buying it in its frozen state.

You can go to that landlocked state and get shrimp from the same dock that is "only" two weeks frozen. I see those trucks roll out of there all the time and deliver all over. If the boats make a good catch they come in and offload and go back out. When they aren't into the shrimp, they stay out trying to find them and sometimes that goes into several weeks.  

4 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Actually it is according to what kind of seafood. As as example "fresh" shrimp here is rarely fresh as in, "not frozen".

Almost all shrimp now is frozen on the deck of the boats a few minutes after being caught. The boats might stay out for up to 4 weeks. So when you go to a local fish market and get that "fresh" shrimp, it might be a month old an frozen. Of course they thaw it before putting it into the pan to be sold so you aren't usually buying it in its frozen state.

You can go to that landlocked state and get shrimp from the same dock that is "only" two weeks frozen. I see those trucks roll out of there all the time and deliver all over. If the boats make a good catch they come in and offload and go back out. When they aren't into the shrimp, they stay out trying to find them and sometimes that goes into several weeks.  

Ok

In the "for what it's worth" category, I have a couple of friends with shrimp boats. Most of my shrimp I get straight off the decks (frozen in sacks) of those boats that I am talking about. 

I haven't gotten shrimp off of a boat locally in...... about five days, frozen solid as usual.

An interesting tidbit is that they freeze them in water. There is usually a freezer vat on deck with water with several 50 pound bags of salt in the water. It is then circulated with the heavy salt concentration so that it doesn't freeze but they get it down to 0 degrees. The shrimp are taken off the deck, put in sacks and lowered into the vat to be frozen. Then they are put below deck and most of the area under the main deck is a large freezer where they can keep several tons of frozen shrimp. 

4 minutes ago, baddog said:

No one ever said that shrimp or any seafood isn't iced down. I have bought some on the roadside that we as fresh as possible......not frozen.

Right. I have bought the same shrimp. 

As I said above, they thaw it before selling it. Unless the people you bought it from actually caught it themselves a day or so before (a the most), it was likely at some point frozen. There are very very few ice boats left. Those boats have to bring several tons of ice loaded just before they leave and their under decks are essentially huge Igloo ice chests. They have to pay lots of money for that ice and then back back in dock within a few days as it melts away. 

I am not saying that those boats do not exist but from the boats that I have seen around this area, about 98% of boats are freezer boats. 

On November 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM, tvc184 said:

In the "for what it's worth" category, I have a couple of friends with shrimp boats. Most of my shrimp I get straight off the decks (frozen in sacks) of those boats that I am talking about. 

I haven't gotten shrimp off of a boat locally in...... about five days, frozen solid as usual.

An interesting tidbit is that they freeze them in water. There is usually a freezer vat on deck with water with several 50 pound bags of salt in the water. It is then circulated with the heavy salt concentration so that it doesn't freeze but they get it down to 0 degrees. The shrimp are taken off the deck, put in sacks and lowered into the vat to be frozen. Then they are put below deck and most of the area under the main deck is a large freezer where they can keep several tons of frozen shrimp. 

That's interesting.  Didn't realize they had gotten high tech.  Not surprised though, it sounds much more efficient, and cost effective.  And it probably improves the quality for the land locked states, if they have someone who knows how to cook them properly.

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

That's interesting.  Didn't realize they had gotten high tech.  Not surprised though, it sounds much more efficient, and cost effective.  And it probably improves the quality for the land locked states, if they have someone who knows how to cook them properly.

I brought some land locked people in Missouri about 60 pounds of high tech shrimp from a PA shrimp dock about 3 months ago. I ate the very best boiled shrimp that I have ever eaten  made by one of those land lockers. 

I know that he travels to the Gulf coast a couple of times a year. I'm sure that he did not learn it up there but some of them definitely know how to cook seafood.  On the other hand, I know people around this area that have absolutely no idea how to cook seafood. 

I am sometimes amazed when people think you're supposed to boil shrimp for 15 minutes at a rolling boil........

5 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I brought some land locked people in Missouri about 60 pounds of high tech shrimp from a PA shrimp dock about 3 months ago. I ate the very best boiled shrimp that I have ever eaten  made by one of those land lockers. 

I know that he travels to the Gulf coast a couple of times a year. I'm sure that he did not learn it up there but some of them definitely know how to cook seafood.  On the other hand, I know people around this area that have absolutely no idea how to cook seafood. 

I am sometimes amazed when people think you're supposed to boil shrimp for 15 minutes at a rolling boil........

lol...that's the truth...lots of folks, even down here, think shrimp should be "well done".