Play my son or else!

Well he-(Durley)- was under tremendous pressure to play players based on who their fathers/relatives were and not their ability. The team struggled and wasnt winning.Coach Durley manned up and played the best players on a consistent basis and won a state championship in the school's first year of existence. I dont think he ever considered quitting but he did feel the pressure but handled it very well.

13 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I wonder if any coaches around this state has ever quit due to something like this…… 

You would know. You are from Dillon! 

You don't remember all the hot shot transfers wanting to be a Panther after you and Coach T turned the program around.

The best part were the "recruiting" dinners at Dairy Queen and the entertainment at the Landing Strip.

lol

5 hours ago, bulldogbacker said:

You would know. You are from Dillon! 

You don't remember all the hot shot transfers wanting to be a Panther after you and Coach T turned the program around.

The best part were the "recruiting" dinners at Dairy Queen and the entertainment at the Landing Strip.

lol

We're talking about real life here, I know that's hard for you to grasp. 

On July 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM, JustUs said:

Well he-(Durley)- was under tremendous pressure to play players based on who their fathers/relatives were and not their ability. The team struggled and wasnt winning.Coach Durley manned up and played the best players on a consistent basis and won a state championship in the school's first year of existence. I dont think he ever considered quitting but he did feel the pressure but handled it very well.

Folks tried to tell Coach Durley who to play?  Must have been idiots.  IMO there wasn't many people anywhere that could Tell him much about football, or how to handle young men.  And what a class act.  And what he did in that first year?   They make movies out of stuff like that.  He'll always be in my top list of area coaches.

Back to the topic, if I was that donors son, I'd be so embarrassed!

On 7/9/2016 at 4:17 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I wonder if any coaches around this state has ever quit due to something like this…… 

SMH Me & my 2 younger bros. coach=Dayt H/C Bruce Pruett 1968-69-70 (record 25-4-1)let go by DISD schl board(told board (pres)members son=if you go to church camp for over a week=off the team,he went,he was kicked off the team.(best w/l record ever@Dayt in only 3 yrs time.Joined staff@Rusk 2 yrs,@H/C@Crosby 73-74=13-8

36 minutes ago, liltex said:

SMH Me & my 2 younger bros. coach=Dayt H/C Bruce Pruett 1968-69-70 (record 25-4-1)let go by DISD schl board(told board (pres)members son=if you go to church camp for over a week=off the team,he went,he was kicked off the team.(best w/l record ever@Dayt in only 3 yrs time.Joined staff@Rusk 2 yrs,@H/C@Crosby 73-74=13-8

I like liltex but WHAT?  There are too many equations in that paragraph. 

Probably no one is really having trouble reading and comprehending the statement, but just in case to spell it out as I understand it:

My two younger brothers and I are smacking our heads at Mr. Buddy Garrity's comment. For a coach who was let go for something like this I cite Dayton head coach Bruce Pruett who coached in the years 1968-69-70 with a record of 25-4-1. He was let go by the Dayton Independent School District under these circumstances. He told the son of the president of the school board that he would be off the team if he went to church camp for over a week. The player went anyway and the coach removed him from the team. The coach had the best won/loss record ever for Dayton and did it in only 3 years. He then joined the staff at Rusk for 2 years and then was head coach at Crosby in the years 1973-74 with a record of 13-8.

4 minutes ago, Sobriquet said:

Probably no one is really having trouble reading and comprehending the statement, but just in case to spell it out as I understand it:

My two younger brothers and I are smacking our heads at Mr. Buddy Garrity's comment. For a coach who was let go for something like this I cite Dayton head coach Bruce Pruett who coached in the years 1968-69-70 with a record of 25-4-1. He was let go by the Dayton Independent School District under these circumstances. He told the son of the president of the school board that he would be off the team if he went to church camp for over a week. The player went anyway and the coach removed him from the team. The coach had the best won/loss record ever for Dayton and did it in only 3 years. He then joined the staff at Rusk for 2 years and then was head coach at Crosby in the years 1973-74 with a record of 13-8.

i read and comprehend just fine. i love liltex, but that was difficult to read.

at 67, if i'm still typing half arse readable stuff and getting around / going to football games every Friday night, on the ath. booster club, raising money and being there for all sporting events and involved, playing golf twice a week.........all this after serving in Vietnam and going thru hell, I will be happy too, like ole' Lil Tex !!!