100 Days Until.....

Octfeb

Sorry.. Been busy.. Ima try to keep up now... Honestly I didn't think to many were interested in this anymore.. :/

We are 68 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is..... 

Today is Go Fishing Day. Now, this is my kind of day! It's a day to go out and bring home a healthy, tasty, meal for the family.

Fishing is hard work. The pressure to bring home a "mess of fish" to feed the family is almost unbearable. After all, as the "Hunter-gatherer" of the family, you need to bring home the meal, or the family might starve.  The wife doesn't appreciate the difficult task of fishing for long hours under all sorts of weather conditions. The wife thinks we're just out having fun....yeah, right.

Celebrate today, on the shore or in a boat, with a fishing pole in one hand, and your favorite beverage in the other. And, don't go home until you have caught your limit!

We are 67 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is.....

NATIONAL TURKEY LOVERS’ DAY

National Turkey Lovers’ Day is observed annually on the third Sunday in June.  This is a day to enjoy turkey in one of its many forms.

With turkey being enjoyed more often in the spring and summer than ever before, it is the established year-round meat because of its versatility. Ground turkey, turkey tenderloin, turkey sausage and turkey bacon are some of the more popular ways to enjoy this delicious meat.  Summertime grilling includes turkey burgers, turkey drumsticks, turkey breast and turkey hot dogs.  Turkey sandwiches are popular at delis and add to the fast and fresh convenience for consumers who love turkey for its healthy lean protein and tasty flavor.

We are 66 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is.....

Cuckoo Warning Day – June 21

As well as being the first day of summer it is also Cuckoo Warning Day! Where did this holiday come from? No one really knows. On this holiday, if you hear a cuckoo on June 21st you will have a wet summer.

More About Cuckoos:
This is the hidden content, please

Cuckoo

• Cuckoos lay their eggs in the nests of other birds, thus relinquishing their parental duties.  The cuckoo chick is not a nice guest and unceremoniously kicks the other chicks out of the nest.
  • Most cuckoos eat insects, although some are large enough to eat lizards.
  • Roadrunners are part of the cuckoo family

We are 65 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is.... 

Baby Boomers Recognition Day

Baby Boomers Recognition Day is being celebrated on August 17, 2016. It is a time of merriment, revelry and appreciation for the many contributions made by Boomers to our society.

This recognition day began in 2011 when bloggers first designated the day in posts online. It has grown each year since then. In 2015 it took another step forward, led by Sanford Holst who served as global chairman of this event and National Coordinator for the USA.

The only difficulty was that the event was being held on Father's Day weekend, which caused scheduling conflicts. So after polling active Boomers across the country it was agreed to combine our efforts with the remembrances of Woodstock that take place on August 15-17, the same days as the original festival in 1969. 

Among the plans currently in the works are for the original concert promoters to stage another massive three-day festival at Woodstock to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2019. We plan to help build the momentum each year until that world-class event.

For details on what is happening with Baby Boomers Recognition Day in 2016, check out the national website for regular updates.

We are 64 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is.... 

STUPID GUY THING DAY! 

If you're looking for something to do today then let's get stupid because it's Stupid Guy Thing Day!  Yep, "it's a guy thing, you wouldn't understand."  Let's get right into celebrating Stupid Guy Thing Day!

WHY IS THIS A HOLIDAY?  

Today is a holiday because sometimes we need to celebrate the stupid things in life! And sure, guys do a lot of stupid things that women, and sometimes even men, just don't understand why they do them. This goes on in everyone's life in one way or another so today is a day to reflect on these things.  One of the biggest things that a lot of guys don't do is listen. This might happen often because in reality men and women will never think the same way. And sure, some guys just don't care to hear anything you have to say.

You're not into the same things or you talk about the same things over and over again and they zone you out. Is it right to do? No, probably not... and you both should look at why you can't really have good conversations. I mean, if you're a couple and you aren't interested in the same things or aren't on the same path then maybe it's time for "the talk".  But that is hardly the only stupid thing that guys do! So guys and girls take time to reflect on these things. Work on them... celebrate them... complain about them. It doesn't matter; just bring them to light and put them on display!  Sorry guys, this day might suck for us!

HOW TO CELEBRATE 

So, how can you celebrate today?  Well, you can go about things in two ways. You can literally celebrate the stupid things that us guys do. Don't complain one bit just accept them and maybe even praise the stupid things. If we stop listening just be like, "oh, sorry I talk about that a lot" or "nevermind, that's a dumb subject." If we leave the seat up then just put it back down and have a seat. If we don't ask for directions then just say it's fine, you kind of want to get lost today anyway. Have fun with it; you might shock the men you're with!

Or you can complain about every stupid things guys do today. Make a giant list and start telling the men in your life what you hate. Ask them to change, tell them why it sucks and show how it affects you. It might not be the happiest way to celebrate but it needs to come out someday, right?  And hey, you could even toy with these stupid things and do them yourself! When your man starts talking to you about something just give him a couple "uh huhs" and nods while you do something else. And if he asks if you're listening just say, "of course not." When you go to the bathroom you can either put the seat down and close the lid or you can leave it up yourself! That's right; try to master the art of peeing standing up today! Don't worry if you make a mess, he does too, right? And pssh... directions? Wing it! You'll make it there eventually and if you don't then it wasn't worth it.  Have a great day today and don't be too stupid!

We are 63 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is....

National Pecan Sandies Day

Yet another food holiday -- I love it! Each day there is a reason to celebrate food, though some festivities -- like National Strawberry Shortcake Day -- are more fun than others (February 29: National Frog Legs Day).

Today is National Pecan Sandies Day: a tribute to those fabulous shortbread cookies which are rich with both butter and toasted nuts. Perfect with iced tea or milk or coffee, they really require no embellishment. And yet ....

It seemed a shame to just leave the cookies sitting on a plate, looking forlorn. Why not dress them up a bit for their big day? I debated whether to crush some to form the crust of a pie or cheesecake, but it seemed that this would hide them rather than letting them shine in the spotlight.

And so, I compromised: I crushed a few cookies to disperse them throughout a sundae, letting their crunch and flavor complement the simple beauty of a good quality vanilla ice cream, and letting their natural affinity for chocolate play a role, as well.

But then, for use as both garnish and dipper, I left a sandie intact for each serving. It isNational Pecan Sandie Day, after all, not Cookie Crumb Celebration Day ....

Pecan Sandie Sundae

4 cups vanilla ice cream
1-1/3 cups Sanders milk chocolate hot fudge, slightly warmed
12 pecan sandies

Place half-cup ice cream into each of 4 serving dishes, then drizzle with a few tablespoons of hot fudge.

Reserve 4 cookies for garnish, then crush the remaining cookies. Divide half of the crumbs among the ice cream servings.

Divide the remaining ice cream among the serving dishes, then sprinkle the rest of the crumbs over it. Pour the remainder of the hot fudge sauce over the tops of the desserts, and garnish each with a whole cookie.

Serves 4.

We are 58,57 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is..... 

National Camera Day!

Updated on February 20, 2016

Source: Paul Reynolds, Creative Commons
Source: Paul Reynolds, Creative Commons | Source

June 29th is National Camera Day!

No one knows when this "holiday" started, but it is always celebrated on June 29th each year. Camera day celebrates the camera and its value to society. The camera is important because it documents events and shows the world as it really is. Before the camera, people relied on written descriptions and limited drawings and paintings to depict newsworthy events, often well after the event happened. Access to these drawings were often limited. Photographs were easy to take and reproduce, allowing more people to see events as they actually happened. The invention and increasing popularity of cameras also affected the fine art world as well. Since art was no longer the main means of documenting events, artists felt more free to create less realistic, but more impressionistic and expressionistic works.

Thus, the camera changed the world!

Introductory photo for this lens was taken by Paul Reynolds from Flickr, using Creative Commons. Paul, himself, is the man holding the camera.

Things you can do on Camera Day!

Here is a list of things you can do on Camera Day to get you started.

• Go shopping for a new camera
  • Buy a tripod
  • Take a picture of your living room (or computer)
  • Take a picture of your pet cat or dog
  • Take a picture of yourself
  • Go to the lake and take pictures of the ducks
  • Take pictures of your kids
  • Take a picture of your spouse or significant other
  • Take pictures of the trees on your street
  • Take a picture of your house

Camera Obscura
Camera Obscura | Source

History of the Camera

The first cameras were the "camera obscura" device dating back thousands of years to the Greeks and even the ancient Chinese. The device was much like a pinhole camera and often used to project an image which would be traced on paper. The first actual photograph was taken around 1814 when Nicephore Niepce used a paper coated with silver chloride and was able to record an exposure to light, but the photo wasn't permanent. In 1827, he used a wooden camera made by Charles and Vincent Chevalier to make a more permanent photograph.

Louis Deguerre worked with Joseph Nicephore Niepce to create the first real photographic camera and technique (Nicephore Niepce died before the invention was completed). In1836, the first true photograph was produced using a copper plate with silver and coated with iodine vapor. Later, other inventors began to perfect this technique and created more efficient and practical cameras using dry and wet plates, twin reflex lenses with faster shutters which shortened exposure times, and smaller, more portable cameras.

The first film cameras were introduced in 1885 by George Eastman and his newly formed Kodak company. At first, the film was a chemically coated paper, but in 1889, they began to use celluloid. Kodak also helped produce smaller, more affordable cameras. In 1900, they began to mass produce the "Brownie Box" camera which was very popular all the way up to the 1960s. The first 35mm camera was created around 1913, but wasn't perfected and put into production until 1925. In the 1935, Kodak produced the first commercially viable color film. Since then, the 35mm camera has been changed and perfected with single reflex dominating over twin-reflex and cameras becoming easier and more compact to use. Many of the 35mm film cameras still used today haven't changed much since the mid-1960s.

Though the elements of digital photography began in the late 60s/early 70s, it wasn't perfected enough for mass use until late 80s/early 90s. Most of these cameras were low-resolution until after the mid-2000s when resolutions and digital lens technology began reach and succeed the level of quality similar to the 35mm camera.

We are 56 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is..... 

National Bomb Pop Day

Labels: 
Hello! Ahhh, 
, a treat that turns 68 years old this year. Did you know the last Thursdayof June is National Bomb Pop Day? Now I'll admit that I didn't know this day existed until just recently. I was talking to the fine folks over at Blue Bunny about how the 2013 ice cream season is going. We've really enjoyed all the free samples they've sent over (like the excellent 
) and eventually the conversation got on to Bomb Pops.

blue+bunny+bomb+pop+original+splenda+sou
That's right, Wells has sent over 4 boxes of pops for us to celebrate. Oh yeah, we're having a Bomb Pop party tonight! We've got original, original sugar free, new Sour Wower, and new Hawaiian Punch. There are 12 "frozen confections" in each box, each clocking in at 1.75 fluid ounces a piece.

bomb+pomp+original+sugar+free.jpg
Now if you have never had a bomb pop (or like me you can't remember having one), each color represents a different flavor. For example, the original is cherry, lime, and blue raspberry. Ofcourse, the bigger question is, is this the original version or the sugar free version? See, I put all four pops on my daughter's plate and the only thing I told her was that with the matching pops, one was sugar free. To my surprise, she picked up one, went "sugar free", put it down, picked up the other one and went "mmmm, sugar".

Have I trained my daughter well enough to know which is which? Well, I did the same test to myself and sure enough, you can tell the difference. The sugar free pop is much more mild than the regular pop and just has that sugar free vibe to it. It's decent, but not something I myself would purchase.

bomb+pop+sour+wower.jpg
This is the new (for 2013) Sour Wower Bomb Pop.... and I was wowwed into the bleck face alright. I know some people dig the whole tart thing... but wow... wow oh wow. My daughter tried it quick and made the bleck face too. My wife comes in and says "it can't be that bad". Well, live and learn. She took a few small tastes and said it was ok.... but then she took that big taste where you hit multiple flavors... and then she made the bleck face. These are hard core people. You have been warned.

bomb+pop+hawaiian+punch.jpg
This is the new (for 2013) Hawaiian Punch Bomb Pop. It's a combination of Orange Ocean, Fruit Juicy Red & Green Berry Rush. While the original bomb pop won out as the family favorite, this one a close second. At one point my daughter was even alternating between this one and the original, it was pretty funny. I want to say that this had just the tiniest bit of bite to it, but that could have just been the sour wower lingering. Point is, if you like bomb pops, don't be afraid to try these new Hawaiian Punch ones.

Alright, happy national bomb pop day everyone, see you next year!

We are 55,54,53 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is......

National Chocolate Wafer Day

Happy National Chocolate Wafer Day! These crispy, sweet snacks are an American favorite. With their waffle surface pattern and thin layers, they can often be found accompanied with ice cream or cooked into other baked goods.

Variations of chocolate wafers can also be found around the world. Did you know that in Egypt, there are special kinds of wafers called "freska" that are only sold on the beach in the summertime?

Elsewhere in the world, chocolate wafers are enjoyed as a key ingredient in cookies, in ice cream sandwiches and countless other recipes. National Chocolate Wafer Day is truly a global affair!

No matter where or how you are eating your wafers, these delicious treats are truly worth celebrating!

We are 51,50,49 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is...

National Video Games Day

Video Games Day - always on July 8th

National Video Games Day - always on September 12th

Video Games Day celebrates popular video games that stormed onto the market, and changed the way your kids play games. From Atari to Nintendo to Xbox, video games provide all too many hours of playing time on your television set.

In grandma and grandpa's day, they had stick horses for toys and playtime. Todays kids (big kids and little kids) have an enormous array of video games to play. Before you get tired of one game, another one hits the market.  

Our extensive research into this special day discovered two separately distinct dates. Also, both dates for this special day refer to it as Video Games Day and National Video Games Day. Based upon our research results, we give the edge to September 12th as National Video Games Day. Lucky gamer that you are, you get to celebrate two video games days.

Celebrate  National Video Games Day by playing video games. If you are off from school (or if you are a big kid off from work), make this a marathon day for video games. Better still, invite a few friends and hold a competition. Just make certain that you have enough controllers.

We are 48,47,46 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season, and today is....

All American Pet Photo Day

On All American Pet Photo Day celebrate your pet by taking some creative memory making photos of your pet. Pictures can be of them playing, sleeping, acting goofy, or dressed up. Pictures can be put into a photo album, refrigerator, work desk, or posted on the Internet.

Over 1/2 of U.S. households have a pet. The most common pet in the USA are dogs followed closely by cats. The most common specialty animal is fish. According to a Forbes.com 2007 article "The combined total of cats and dogs in the U.S. is estimated at 163 million, or more than one for every two people." and "Colorado Springs, Colo., tops our list of America’s Most Pet-Friendly Cities"

We are 45,44,43 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is..... 

Pandemonium Day

Pandemonium Day is a day of sheer bedlam, and utter chaos. If ever there was a wild and whacky, unorganized day, today it that day.

Everyone has a day like this once in while. Its a day when all sort of unexpected things occur. Its a time when everything is happening at the same time, and at a very fast pace.

Celebrate and embrace Pandemonium Day. Don't let today, or any other day shake you up. If Pandemonium prevails, just go with the flow in a calm, cool manner. Sanity will return soon enough.....we hope.

Lets hope sanity returns soon.... Pandmoniun day is every day here lately..... *Jumps off the political soap box* 

4 minutes ago, Octfeb said:

We are 45,44,43 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is..... 

Pandemonium Day

Pandemonium Day is a day of sheer bedlam, and utter chaos. If ever there was a wild and whacky, unorganized day, today it that day.

Everyone has a day like this once in while. Its a day when all sort of unexpected things occur. Its a time when everything is happening at the same time, and at a very fast pace.

Celebrate and embrace Pandemonium Day. Don't let today, or any other day shake you up. If Pandemonium prevails, just go with the flow in a calm, cool manner. Sanity will return soon enough.....we hope.

Lets hope sanity returns soon.... Pandmoniun day is every day here lately..... *Jumps off the political soap box* 

Glad I keep the peace around here. :)

We are 42,41,40 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is..... 

So in the celebration of the Emoji.. Do ya think we here at SETXSPORTS could get that fixed? Just thought I would ask, being it is Emoji day... :) (My curious face) 

Let’s Celebrate Emoji

We use emojis every day, so why not celebrate them? Welcome to  World Emoji Day. Join in the celebration on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag 

Why July 17?

July 17 

is famously displayed on the iOS 
, which makes it perfect date for World Emoji Day. Even if you are using a system with a different calendar emoji, that shouldn’t stop you joining in the global celebration of emoji.

Join the Event

Let your friends on 

know your plans to celebrate by joining the 

Sing the Anthem

The World Emoji Day Anthem for 2016 is catchy as anything! Written and produced by 

, we encourage you to upload your own video singing along!

Light Up Twitter

Tweet your favorite emoji. Tweet your favorite 50 emojis. There’s only one World Emoji Day, so make the most of it!

Let’s see Twitter alive with more emojis than it has ever seen. Include the 

hashtag in your tweet, so everyone else can follow along too. This year we have a custom emoji / hashflag that also shows the World Emoji Day mascot, Globe-moji!

Emoji Royalty

Birthday on July 17? Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an emoji showing their date of birth. Be kind with your humble subjects on this day, despite knowing that you are the true emoji royalty.

Hold An Emoji Party

Invite your friends around and dress as your 

. The more obscure, the better.

Promotions

Your favorite brands get involved in all kinds of ways. See 

around the web to celebrate World Emoji Da

Emoji Facts

Did you know the 

emoji is flown on Children’s Day in Japan? The 
 is for John Appleseed, or the difference between the 

emojis? Fire up 
 then weave these facts into any conversation possible.

Where To Find Emojis

If you are on a computer you can scroll through 

to copy and paste from in your browser. 
, and many 
 include an emoji keyboard.

So what are you waiting for?

********So while reading this... and it looks a little weird. That is because I had to go through and delete ALL the Emoji"s because the site said " The value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji"  

1 The 

shows a different date on some platforms. Yes, this is confusing.

We are 39,38,37,36 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season, and today is......

INVITE A ALIEN TO WORK DAY!

Today's Inspirational Quote:

"If you want happiness for an hour---take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day-----go fishing.
If you want happiness for a month--get married.
If you want happiness for a year----inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a Lifetime---help someone else."

--Chinese Proverb--

Did you Know.......
that today is invite an Alien to Live with You Day?
On the birthday of Robin Williams, the alien Mork of
"Mork and Mindy," invite an alien to live with your or,
at the very least, invite a stranger to lunch!
Williams was born on July 21, 1952, to Chicago, Illinois.

Be Safe, Cool and Creative!!!

We are 35 days away from the start of the Texas High School Football Season and today is.....

Ratcatcher's Day

Ratcatcher's Day commemorates the Pied Piper of Hamelin, the most infamous of Rat catchers.

One of the most well known German folklores is the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. The town of Hamelin, Germany was infested by rats. The mayor promised to handsomely pay the Pied Piper, if he rid the town of rats. The Pied Piper played his flute. Lured by the magical music, all of the rats left town, and followed him. He played his music all the way down to the river. He waded into the river. The rats followed him and drowned. The mayor refused to pay him. So, one night when the townspeople were asleep, the Pied Piper played his music again. This time, the children of the town followed him all the way into a cave. Some versions for the legend vary here. In one version, th e Pied Piper kept them there until he was paid by the town for his services. In most versions, the children were never to be seen again.

How many Rats were lured to the River? Estimates are upwards of a million!

If you see a Ratcatcher today, wish them Happy Ratcatcher's Day!

Better make sure you pay the piper, if you hire him to get rid of the rats! IJS