Major Conference losing to the small guys

45 minutes ago, show me love said:

Big 10 Purdue just lost to Mid-major Little Arkansas...

That should not be happening with those superior players...lol...

Why do you say that? It happens every year in this tournament. There is not a large discrepancy in the difference between the power 5 and mid majors, in division 1 basketball like there was in 1985. The guard play at these mid-major conferences are just as good now as they are at NC, Duke and Kansas. We see this year in and year out, with guards coming out of Davidson, Butler, Valpo, Witchita State and the list goes on.

Look at NC struggling right now vs. Florida Gulf Coast........A lot of people are saying this was going to be the must upsets with this bracket in recent years. Two 12's took down 5's today.

Here might be a reason, yes Purdue may have had more big time recruits and all, but a lot has to do with the experience of the team. Purdue had 5 seniors and 2 juniors, Little Rock had 5 seniors and 9 juniors, if you don't think this makes a difference it does. Also IMO Purdue went away from their style of play, letting their big men go to work, and tried to win it on guard play which they lacked.

3 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I never said everyone was a fool just referring to a few that told me Purdue was a big time program and I'm biased I got Kentucky winning it all 

They have the pieces, and the East Region is a gauntlet. Indiana and then UNC could be tough. IMO Indiana-Kentucky is more of a Sweet 16/Elite 8 matchup not a Round of 32...

Ulis vs Ferrell is going to be something to watch

I've been watching "winds of change" since the 2013 class came out and maybe we won't be able to pinpoint one single thing to claim why the parity but here are my guesses:

1. The transfer rate for these athletes grows every year. Many of these athletes came from major conferences to play in other D1 conferences.

2. The top recruits today aren't buying into committing to the big dogs anymore. Zimmermann to UNLV, Cal Berk got a couple of top recruits, Simmons to LSU, another top recruit goes to Miss State, etc.

3. Talent is staying in school longer ( this is another story relating to 2013)

4. Too many trainers and less time in the park :)