Major Conference losing to the small guys

11 hours ago, Not A Guru said:

Out of the 12 players he sends to the draft this year, maybe 3 will have successful careers that allow them to "take care of their families". He uses this "sending all my kids to the pros" as a recruiting tool.  Last years group was pretty special with Cauley-Stein, Randle, and so forth, but what have the other 7 kids that went accomplished. I have not heard of the Harrison twins all year. If they had 12 kids that were NBA talent, they would have done better than the Round of 32. 

Hhhmmm lets see...Karl Towns will likely be rookie of the year, Devin Booker has the most 30 point games than any other rookie, WCS is having a solid year in, so is Trey Lyles etc...As far as the Harrison twins it was a known fact that they would be projects in the NBA plus it was their choice to leave UK so for you to point that out shows me how little you know about UK & Calapari ....It's funny you don't bring up the guys that have changed their families for generations that he's coach D. Rose, John Wall, B. Knight, Boogie Cousins and the list goes on and on.

BTW Randle didn't play on last years team & has been in the league for two years now and it was only 7 players that were sent to the draft with 6 being(Tied the record for most 1st round draft picks) do some more research my man.

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Bingo.  Calipari is all about Calipari.   The first people who can tell you that are people who have been involved with his programs.  He also consistently has the best talent in the country (for whatever reason).  And in every season but one, proves to us why when it comes to Xs and Os, he is still no Coach K, Izzo, Bo Ryan, etc.  

Man you just getting worse with time, Calapari is all about himself because he doesn't hold his players back and allows them to go fulfill their dreams? Putting kids first by encouraging them to go play in the NBA rather than come back to school so they can better the program at UK? I've yet to ever hear one player have anything bad to say about Cal so I'm not sure what people involved with the program you're talking about. Cal gets the best players cause players see the results, any big time high school player knows if he wants to play in the NBA one day go play for Calapari, at the end of the day if you take care of your players they'll take care of you....I would say 4 final fours & a natty in only 6 years along with the most draft picks in the past decade isn't too bad for a coach thats all about himself. 

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Man you just getting worse with time, Calapari is all about himself because he doesn't hold his players back and allows them to go fulfill their dreams? Putting kids first by encouraging them to go play in the NBA rather than come back to school so they can better the program at UK? I've yet to ever hear one player have anything bad to say about Cal so I'm not sure what people involved with the program you're talking about. Cal gets the best players cause players see the results, any big time high school player knows if he wants to play in the NBA one day go play for Calapari, at the end of the day if you take care of your players they'll take care of you....I would say 4 final fours & a natty in only 6 years along with the most draft picks in the past decade isn't too bad for a coach thats all about himself. 

He's not a bad coach.  In fact he's a good one and a great recruiter (for whatever reasons you want to attribute).  But he's not in the same class of coach on the bench as the ones I named.  Sorry, he's not.  He consistently gets the best talent and that certainly helps.  If Michigan State gets Josh Jackson to go with what they already have coming in, they will have a Kentucky type class to go along with Izzo's coaching.  Going to be scary.  Duke will have as much talent as Kentucky next year so write the Cats off next year.  Coach K plays chess to Cal's checkers. 

I hesitate to compare Cal to Mack Brown because they are not the same type of person.  But both they are similar models in recruiting/coaching.  

But to say Cal only makes choices for the betterment of the kid vs the program is naive at best. 

And between the two of us and knowing what we speak of, I'm pretty sure only one of us has been to games at Rupp.  And I am very sure only one of us has been to a Kentucky practice.  Hint: not you. ;)

5 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

He's not a bad coach.  In fact he's a good one and a great recruiter (for whatever reasons you want to attribute).  But he's not in the same class of coach on the bench as the ones I named.  Sorry, he's not.  He consistently gets the best talent and that certainly helps.  If Michigan State gets Josh Jackson to go with what they already have coming in, they will have a Kentucky type class to go along with Izzo's coaching.  Going to be scary.  Duke will have as much talent as Kentucky next year so write the Cats off next year.  Coach K plays chess to Cal's checkers. 

I hesitate to compare Cal to Mack Brown because they are not the same type of person.  But both they are similar models in recruiting/coaching.  

But to say Cal only makes choices for the betterment of the kid vs the program is naive at best. 

And between the two of us and knowing what we speak of, I'm pretty sure only one of us has been to games at Rupp.  And I am very sure only one of us has been to a Kentucky practice.  Hint: not you. ;)

I think it takes a great coach to manage the talent he had last year. If not for two questionable offensive foul calls on Lyles down the stretch they win that game and matchup with duke in the Natty. As far as coach K it's crazy how Cal gets bounced out early one year (aside from the year Noel got hurt and they didn't make the tournament because of that) and K has been knocked out first round 2 times the past five years with arguably two of his 5 best COLLEGE players on both rosters. Jabari Parker and Austin Rivers. Nothing was ever said about that. Calipari has just as many championships as Izzo and one more than Ryan. Cal is a players coach and a smooth operater in the home. The man knows how to get players to the league. 38 of them in fact. With 3 more added to this list this year. 

6 minutes ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

I think it takes a great coach to manage the talent he had last year. If not for two questionable offensive foul calls on Lyles down the stretch they win that game and matchup with duke in the Natty. As far as coach K it's crazy how Cal gets bounced out early one year (aside from the year Noel got hurt and they didn't make the tournament because of that) and K has been knocked out first round 2 times the past five years with arguably two of his 5 best COLLEGE players on both rosters. Jabari Parker and Austin Rivers. Nothing was ever said about that. Calipari has just as many championships as Izzo and one more than Ryan. Cal is a players coach and a smooth operater in the home. The man knows how to get players to the league. 38 of them in fact. With 3 more added to this list this year. 

I think Coach K has some equity built, don't you?   When you are the all time leader in wins and tied for final fours, you kind of are above the criticism.  Especially when you just won another natty last year in a year when Kentucky had "the best team since UNLV's."  Remember, that other team Coach K stole a Natty from?

As for Izzo and Ryan.  Cal has as much talent on a given team as they've had in their entire careers. But as I said, watch out for Izzo with this class coming in.  Going to be scary. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

It's funny you mention Izzo and not having talent, when just a couple years ago he had the likes of Gary Harris, Adrein Payne, Appling, Dawsen etc not to mention most of these guys were, juniors & seniors having been together 3 years or more and Izzo couldn't even make the final four with these guys come on now you serious? Duke had more talent than UK this year and got smacked when they matched up this year

You talk recruiting classes but fail to mention that Kentucky has the #1recruiting class in the country coming in one Calamari's has deemed to be the best ever(five 5 start recruits) I'm almost certain this group is for sure destined for a final four and if they get Bolden you might as well give Kentucky the championship now...This won't be the first year other schools have gotten really good players, take this years CAL & LSU team for example. Had the best player in the country and to go along with another 5 star recruit and didn't make the tourney. No other coach gets more out of his players/freshman than Calapari and thats something thats not even an argument, Duke had the #1 recruiting class this past year and just lost to Oregon some chess Coach K was playing. It's funny you bring up Coach K but also failed to mention how Coach K and almost every other coach has taken Cal's approach to recruiting but he's playing chess right? Ask yourself why doesn't he not recruit one and done players anymore? Because he and Izzo previously stated that they don't believe in one and done players. I remember Coach K was upset when Rivers left for the NBA but you guys celebrate Coach K for putting his program before players. Cal gets hate because he did things his own way and many people said he would never win with one and done players but proved everyone wrong in 2012 now you guys just try and find anything to criticize the man, Calapari is the best coach in college basketball IMO and is the sole reasons for why college ball is the way it is today. Can you imagine if Cal got majority of his teams back every year? The one year he did get most of his team back(last year) the man was two games shy of going 40-0 winning 38 in a row something that had never been wrong, also in 7 years at kentucky the man has been to the final four 4 times, won a national title and has done it all with mostly FRESHMAN. Izzo has been at MSU for 21 years and only 1 natty please stop the madness PLEASE! 

And I'm not sure what you going to practices & games at UK mean but ok...but everyone knows that Cal is a players first coach and players want to play for him cause he's proven that his way of doing things work period. If you're trying to elude to the fact that Cal pays players for their services it's pretty ignorant of you.

2 hours ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Notice how it's an excuse for Coach K when he loses, "he has equity built up" but if Cal losses it's he constantly has the best talent and can't win but Coach K had the #1 class in the country and just got put out by an Oregon team. I don't think people understand how hard it is to coach a batch of freshman every year & manage the ego's crazy Cal gets no respect I'll never understand it. Smh

1 hour ago, ozensfinest said:

It's funny you mention Izzo and not having talent, when just a couple years ago he had the likes of Gary Harris, Adrein Payne, Appling, Dawsen etc not to mention most of these guys were, juniors & seniors having been together 3 years or more and Izzo couldn't even make the final four with these guys come on now you serious? Duke had more talent than UK this year and got smacked when they matched up this year

You talk recruiting classes but fail to mention that Kentucky has the #1recruiting class in the country coming in one Calamari's has deemed to be the best ever(five 5 start recruits) I'm almost certain this group is for sure destined for a final four and if they get Bolden you might as well give Kentucky the championship now...This won't be the first year other schools have gotten really good players, take this years CAL & LSU team for example. Had the best player in the country and to go along with another 5 star recruit and didn't make the tourney. No other coach gets more out of his players/freshman than Calapari and thats something thats not even an argument, Duke had the #1 recruiting class this past year and just lost to Oregon some chess Coach K was playing. It's funny you bring up Coach K but also failed to mention how Coach K and almost every other coach has taken Cal's approach to recruiting but he's playing chess right? Ask yourself why doesn't he not recruit one and done players anymore? Because he and Izzo previously stated that they don't believe in one and done players. I remember Coach K was upset when Rivers left for the NBA but you guys celebrate Coach K for putting his program before players. Cal gets hate because he did things his own way and many people said he would never win with one and done players but proved everyone wrong in 2012 now you guys just try and find anything to criticize the man, Calapari is the best coach in college basketball IMO and is the sole reasons for why college ball is the way it is today. Can you imagine if Cal got majority of his teams back every year? The one year he did get most of his team back(last year) the man was two games shy of going 40-0 winning 38 in a row something that had never been wrong, also in 7 years at kentucky the man has been to the final four 4 times, won a national title and has done it all with mostly FRESHMAN. Izzo has been at MSU for 21 years and only 1 natty please stop the madness PLEASE! 

And I'm not sure what you going to practices & games at UK mean but ok...but everyone knows that Cal is a players first coach and players want to play for him cause he's proven that his way of doing things work period. If you're trying to elude to the fact that Cal pays players for their services it's pretty ignorant of you.

You trying to argue Cal is a better coach than Coach K is not only laughable, it also demonstrates your fundamental lack of understanding of the game.  Here's a tip for you: never state that opinion in an interview.  Even those football minded ADs will know you're clueless ;)

On 3/25/2016 at 10:48 PM, ozensfinest said:

Hhhmmm lets see...Karl Towns will likely be rookie of the year, Devin Booker has the most 30 point games than any other rookie, WCS is having a solid year in, so is Trey Lyles etc...As far as the Harrison twins it was a known fact that they would be projects in the NBA plus it was their choice to leave UK so for you to point that out shows me how little you know about UK & Calapari ....It's funny you don't bring up the guys that have changed their families for generations that he's coach D. Rose, John Wall, B. Knight, Boogie Cousins and the list goes on and on.

BTW Randle didn't play on last years team & has been in the league for two years now and it was only 7 players that were sent to the draft with 6 being(Tied the record for most 1st round draft picks) do some more research my man.

I do not need to do more research. You named elite stars that I could have coached in college, that still would have successful NBA careers. Your idea that Calipari is saving poor black kids by making them all NBA millionaires is ridiculous. He is sending 12 kids to a draft when only 2 or 3 will have a chance to make "millions". What about the other 9 that spend 2-4 years in the D-League, then have to go out in the real world with zero education? How will those players support their entire families? Maybe the way to be their "savior" is to help develop their NBA chances, while helping them complete a degree to have some way to support a family. The facts are, more of those players end up not making the money to "take care of their families" with NBA money over the course of a lifetime. Do some research on how many players are broke when even a successful career is over. The one and dones theory only works if your John Wall and Boogie Cousins and D. Rose, not the 12th man on the bench. My man. 

1 hour ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Zimmerman was guilty also, just like your hero.

When Eminem was talking about the Real Slim Shady, I'm pretty sure he was talking about your boy.

what does a Hispanic male and OJ have to do with college basketball ?

16 hours ago, Not A Guru said:

I do not need to do more research. You named elite stars that I could have coached in college, that still would have successful NBA careers. Your idea that Calipari is saving poor black kids by making them all NBA millionaires is ridiculous. He is sending 12 kids to a draft when only 2 or 3 will have a chance to make "millions". What about the other 9 that spend 2-4 years in the D-League, then have to go out in the real world with zero education? How will those players support their entire families? Maybe the way to be their "savior" is to help develop their NBA chances, while helping them complete a degree to have some way to support a family. The facts are, more of those players end up not making the money to "take care of their families" with NBA money over the course of a lifetime. Do some research on how many players are broke when even a successful career is over. The one and dones theory only works if your John Wall and Boogie Cousins and D. Rose, not the 12th man on the bench. My man. 

Again you should do more research on Kentucky....ALL Kentucky players that choose to leave early have lifetime scholarship meaning they can come back anytime they want to finish their degree's and still have their schooling paid for....you're lost my friend and out of 7 guys he's sent to the league last year only two(Andrew Harrison & Dakari Johnson) are in the D-League. The others were lottery picks meaning they're all millionaires my friend. Like I said before you need to do some more research. And let me give you a couple more Calapari guys that are having really good NBA players that are having successful careers and are also millionaires: 

Anthony Davis

Eric Bledsoe

Brandon Knight

Karl Towns

Trey Lyles

Devin Booker

Julius Randle

Nerlens Noel

Terrance Jones

Kidd-Gilchrist

Enes Kanter

Patrick Patterson

Tyreke Evans

Chris Douglas Roberts

Dejuan Wagner

Marcus Camby

Seriously you're lost on this one...

14 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Again you should do more research on Kentucky....ALL Kentucky players that choose to leave early have lifetime scholarship meaning they can come back anytime they want to finish their degree's and still have their schooling paid for....you're lost my friend and out of 7 guys he's sent to the league last year only two(Andrew Harrison & Dakari Johnson) are in the D-League. The others were lottery picks meaning they're all millionaires my friend. Like I said before you need to do some more research. And let me give you a couple more Calapari guys that are having really good NBA players that are having successful careers and are also millionaires: 

Anthony Davis

Eric Bledsoe

Brandon Knight

Karl Towns

Trey Lyles

Devin Booker

Julius Randle

Nerlens Noel

Terrance Jones

Kidd-Gilchrist

Enes Kanter

Patrick Patterson

Tyreke Evans

Chris Douglas Roberts

Dejuan Wagner

Marcus Camby

Seriously you're lost on this one...

Man 16 players since the Marcus Camby era. What an awersome %. I'm around this site enough to know, you are lost on almost everything you say. So, I am not going to entertain conversations with you back and forth. Your history here is self evident. For you to actually believe that John Calipari is somehow a savior you "yound black players" across America makes me a little sick. Calipari is about Calipari. Lastly, SOME of the players that have left Kentucky are making millions. Can you look how many Kentucky players over the last decade have left without a degree, and flopped out of the NBA. PLEASE SEND ME THAT LIST. But your right. Those 16 players make up such a large %. 

Calipari has gotten 37 players drafted in the last 20 years.

5 are playing Overseas because they couldnt make it in the NBA (Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Robert Dozier, Joey Dorsey, Rodney Carney)

4 players drafted after 2008 are free agents- which means nobody wants (Doron Lamb, Josh Harrellson, Daniel Orton, Chris Douglas-Roberts)

3 in the D-League- which means not good enough for the NBA- ( Andrew Harrison, Dhkari Johnson, Marquis Teague)

Because I wont argue about who is to judge a successful career I will leave the list alone, although it could be bigger.

In 20 years he has "saved 36 black players and 1 white player. 

Of  the 37- 12 were flops.

25 are left. Several are rookies so time will tell.

Out of the whole black community in the country, the SAVIOR has helped 25. What a Samaritan. 

34 minutes ago, Not A Guru said:

Calipari has gotten 37 players drafted in the last 20 years.

5 are playing Overseas because they couldnt make it in the NBA (Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Robert Dozier, Joey Dorsey, Rodney Carney)

4 players drafted after 2008 are free agents- which means nobody wants (Doron Lamb, Josh Harrellson, Daniel Orton, Chris Douglas-Roberts)

3 in the D-League- which means not good enough for the NBA- ( Andrew Harrison, Dhkari Johnson, Marquis Teague)

Because I wont argue about who is to judge a successful career I will leave the list alone, although it could be bigger.

In 20 years he has "saved 36 black players and 1 white player. 

Of  the 37- 12 were flops.

25 are left. Several are rookies so time will tell.

Out of the whole black community in the country, the SAVIOR has helped 25. What a Samaritan. 

Yeah you are an complete idiot I'm convinced...cause I never said he was a savior of black kids smh 

1 hour ago, Not A Guru said:

Man 16 players since the Marcus Camby era. What an awersome %. I'm around this site enough to know, you are lost on almost everything you say. So, I am not going to entertain conversations with you back and forth. Your history here is self evident. For you to actually believe that John Calipari is somehow a savior you "yound black players" across America makes me a little sick. Calipari is about Calipari. Lastly, SOME of the players that have left Kentucky are making millions. Can you look how many Kentucky players over the last decade have left without a degree, and flopped out of the NBA. PLEASE SEND ME THAT LIST. But your right. Those 16 players make up such a large %. 

It's actually more than that but show me another coach that has more i'll wait...and I get you're dumb enough to keep ignoring the fact that UK players have lifetime scholarships and can come back and get their degrees anytime they want right? Lol smh

UK was one of the first schools to bring lifetime scholarships to major college basketball. It's not just 25 black lives either. It's there immediate family, community they grew up in, and future generations that are impacted by Calipari helping those guys get to the league it making hundreds of thousands playing overseas. Or make multimillions before becoming a free agent (CDR).