YMBL BRACKET??????

scoota76

I know that Beaumont ISD schools have to play but why would anyone else in 5A and 6A agree to just a 3 game tournament? At least make it two groups and get 4 or 5 games. Three games should not be worth it for teams like Heights and Longview that are traveling 4 hours. The girls side had 17 teams and everyone is getting 4 games.

I mean, it's common sense.  If you don't have a lot of team's, go pool play.  The major plus to a tournament is getting games in...

As AAW says, it's just really sad.  This was one tournament I always looked forward to.  And it's almost dead.  I'm really confused why the people putting it on didn't figure out a few years ago to go to pool play.  I believe it would still be an elite field had they done that.  Stubbornness is my only guess.  

i think that is SATCH JV team...the same one they brought down last year.... 

It is SATCH JV.

One of the biggest reasons why they don't go to pool play is because they host the girls tourney at the same time. They have 16 girls teams. They would have to use some high school gyms to get all the games in if went to pool play. it seems they just don't have enough volunteers or just don't want the extra headache with hosting more games.

Also, there are 7 other local tourneys (20 in all that we cover) that take place next week. Several teams that have played in the YMBL in past have chose other tourneys to play. Reasons?? I have been told several. ;)

BISD/YMBL just needs to either split the weeks for the girls and boys tourney, either just do a girls or boys or go to pool play and limit the girls tourney to 12 teams. This way you could do pool play for both boys and girls and still play at Montagne, McDonald's and Ozen HS.

But hey, what do I know about running tourneys.

It is SATCH JV.

One of the biggest reasons why they don't go to pool play is because they host the girls tourney at the same time. They have 16 girls teams. They would have to use some high school gyms to get all the games in if went to pool play. it seems they just don't have enough volunteers or just don't want the extra headache with hosting more games.

Also, there are 7 other local tourneys (20 in all that we cover) that take place next week. Several teams that have played in the YMBL in past have chose other tourneys to play. Reasons?? I have been told several. ;)

BISD/YMBL just needs to either split the weeks for the girls and boys tourney, either just do a girls or boys or go to pool play and limit the girls tourney to 12 teams. This way you could do pool play for both boys and girls and still play at Montagne, McDonald's and Ozen HS.

But hey, what do I know about running tourneys.

What's worse is they will not even use Ozen for consolation games on the girls side. They play at the elementary school. There is no reason not to use the high schools especially since it is YMBL/BISD. Why should any of the 3 Beaumont schools be forced to play in it, when they are not playing challenging teams that they could play in Houston. If it does not go pool play or add at least 1 game next year, then Central and Ozen should just say no and play elsewhere. They have been in the finals the last two years, they will be in the finals this year plus they are in the same district. It waters down the district games and the rivalry when they are playing 3-4 times a year. There is no competition and 3 games is not enough anymore.

I think EVERY district has its issues but thats not for this forum ..Anyways as Soulja said its an individual who does the YMBL tournament setup , i think someone has metioned the idea of pool play but it wasnt utilized . We have good middle school & high school gyms all over BISD that can be used instead of elementary school gyms. I also think they dont want to come out of pocket for  referee fees for those extra games. 

I think EVERY district has its issues but thats not for this forum ..Anyways as Soulja said its an individual who does the YMBL tournament setup , i think someone has metioned the idea of pool play but it wasnt utilized . We have good middle school & high school gyms all over BISD that can be used instead of elementary school gyms. I also think they dont want to come out of pocket for  referee fees for those extra games. 

speaking of refs do they still have two different chapters in beaumont?

Trying to host a 16 team girls tourney and a boys tourney at same time using just 3 gyms is the biggest issue. It's why they have stayed bracket play all this time. Easier to schedule games and less money to spend.

This is not on one person. BISD has a committee that sets the tourney up. All the BISD coaches are involved plus a few others. YMBL just serves as a host and provides the volunteers to work the tourney. Neither (BISD or YMBL) want to kick the girls or the boys to the curb and just do one tourney. They want to keep it on the same week, easier for both parties involved.

No one wants to face the "gorilla" in the room. I knew from the start that when they started putting the girls tourney with the boys tourney, it would eventually cause problems. IMO, it should be on separate weeks.

Also, BISD/YMBL is at the mercy of Lamar if it wants to use their facilities. It may be time to use different facilities if they want to continue to keep these two tourneys on the same week.

There are other issues that has caused the boys tourney to decline, but I will not get into those.

Bottom line, no one wants to play a 3 day tourney and only get 3 games. Really a waste of time.

It could work if they had a 16 team girls tournament and a 16 team guys tournament. 4 pools of 4 teams with pool play over the first two days. Have 8 games each day in the Montagne and work out a way for every team to get at least one game during the pool play there. More coaches would come because it is a chance for their players to play in a D1 gym. The same can be done with McDonald. Use Ozen, Central or a combination for the other 8 games each day. Then on Saturday have 4 4 team brackets with the top 2 brackets being played at Montagne and McDonald. Gives the best teams 2 more games in a D1 gym.

The whole tournament could use only 3 gyms on Thursday and Friday and then either 3 or 4 gyms on Saturday depending on how many teams would get to play 2 games.