Kelly to Regionals

soccer14

Kelly and Nolan played in Ft. Worth on a very windy day.  The winds were 25 to 30 mph with gusts to 40. It played havoc with both teams but I think the Nolan players were a little more used to it than the Kelly guys.  The game was well played by both sides and could have gone either way.  It was also well officiated add we have no complaints there.  Nolan scored at about the 20 minute mark on shot high in the net just out of the Keeper's reach and against the wind.  The Nolan player did a nice job of sending it high and letting the wind keep it down and into the top of the net.  Matt Kirby was not full speed and still wearing a brace on his ankle.  He did not start either half but came in about 10 or 15 minutes in.  Kirby scored on low shot to the far corner from the right side after getting the Keeper out of position. It was a very good shot with couple of defenders on him and a difficult angle.  It was 1-1 at half time and Nolan got the wind in the second half.  I think it was almost harder to score with the wind than into it.  The ball just kept getting away and getting blown across the line for goal kicks.

Nolan scored to go up 2-1 on a curving corner kick from the left side that the wind helped into the far corner at about the 60th minute.  Kelly had some chances after that but just couldn't get the shot off or missed when it did.  Kelly seemed to have more difficulty going into the wind than Nolan.  Nolan had some very good defensive players who had something to do with it also. Its too bad that these two teams had to meet before the state tournament, because from what I have seen, I think these may be the two best teams in the TAPPs playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan won state.  They were state champs last year with a largley junior team, and those guys are now seniors.  Kelly had a great run this year, and I congratulate the players and Coach Joe on a fine year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder