Dayton Athletic Director Retiring

Look ya'll I'm as shocked as anybody.What I know is what my personal friend J Stewart told me=@75th Bronco re-union I asked him was he still thinking of retiring in early Dec or wait till the end of 2015 school year.He smiled & said well to be perfectly honest I may possibly go back to full time coaching.I yelled heck yeah thinking Dayt cause he'd told me he'll always be a Bronco.He'd also told me he personally had plans to have a big feed for all the kiddos that played for him.I know his ailing mother is in Ark and he's been there many times to check on her since his bro passed from cancer.Story I was told the HC job between Hancock(former D/C) & J Nations(former O/C)was a board tie vote w/1 remaining vote as a tie breaker.Wherever Stewart is he'll always be my friend thru thick/thin,and he called to check on me when I was recovering from VA surgery=If I can help you any way call,that's what real friends do.I wish him well.I'm a steadfast Bronco supporter thru thick/thin,we had a great program from what Stewart built,knew retirement was on his mind 5 yrs ago thru a month ago.(blame me if you want for talking him into taking up golf.What was he to do when retired=not a outdoors person=football/coaching was his life)Knowing these things his best interest was to allow a young HC to learn from some mistakes(we've all done that) & some were made.99.9 radio announced this morning that Dayt AD has resigned along w/3 others.No futher news until Dayt supt issues a statement.So until GO Broncos,school board go to work w/wise choice for a storied program & fresh ideas,a community is awaiting closure,sooner would be great

And we know who made that deciding vote.. And is no longer at Dayton. And it wasn't Stewart.

Edited by Octfeb

Maybe he's going over to the Hill.:)

Highly unlikely unless he coaches via Skype. Only way I see witness protection being able to have half a chance. During my short stint in SETX I came to realize from those close to him that he is a legend in Dayton. I don't know him at all but talking to those who do I have much respect for him.

Just trying to figure out why all of the negativity towards Coach Stewart. In all of my dealings with the man, he has always been a straight shooter. He is obviously a great coach and motivator. Why speculate on why he is retiring. Does it really matter if he is retiring to go to Arkansas to take care of his mother, maybe he is getting a Head Coaching job in the great state of Razorbacks. Or, does it matter if he wanted to be the head coach at Dayton again and the Board said no? Or, does it really matter if he has decided to sail off into the sunset?

Just trying to figure out why all of the negativity towards Coach Stewart. In all of my dealings with the man, he has always been a straight shooter. He is obviously a great coach and motivator. Why speculate on why he is retiring. Does it really matter if he is retiring to go to Arkansas to take care of his mother, maybe he is getting a Head Coaching job in the great state of Razorbacks. Or, does it matter if he wanted to be the head coach at Dayton again and the Board said no? Or, does it really matter if he has decided to sail off into the sunset?

thank you. It doesn't really matter why he is retiring, i mean hell when he retired as head coach he asked to stay on as part time ad so that should have told everyone then that he was going to be there much longer. No matter why he is retiring us dayton fans wish him the best in whatever he does and thank him for a great run as hc and ad. 20 straight years in the playoffs i think he did great.

Yep Stewart was always willing to help when I asked. He is one of the nicest guys around here. I know a lot of you are drooling over the fact he has retired for good. You can deny it all you want... I am looking forward to Dayton getting a new AD. If that is their plans. Heck who knows maybe one of the current coaches will be stepping up into that position. Guess we will find out sooner or later... Sooner I hope... 

Good luck Coach Stewart on whatever your future holds.. I for one will miss you on the sidelines. 

I'm ready to play lots of golf.Jerry Stewart is an athelete,never seen anybody over 60 that had never picked up a golf club learn the game so quickly that regularly breaks 80 for 18 holes 2 yrs later.I've met & played golf w/some elite coaches thru our friendship incl Bayt Lee's former Dick Olin.Stewart is a meek man,he's not one to boast of his accomplishments,but quietly tends to business of being a mentor & making lifelong impressions to all he comes in contact with.I try to follow the example of the man(not the coach)that believes success comes from dedication.Straight up I know plenty of pre Stewart Dayt atheletes who would have loved to put on the Bronco uniform and played atheletics w/his leadership skills,myself incl.If you're in it for the kiddos w/o doubt=there you will find a lifelong friend.

Coach Stewart taught this town how to be winners.  Our kiddos growing up in his system were taught teamwork, dedication, that the team always comes before the individual and that through hard work anything can be accomplished, oh yeah, and "everyone understands pain".  He started with a bunch of young coaches that he groomed and taught how to be winners and how to bring out the best in each player, and with a group of players that were ready to breakout and were tired of losing.  In those players he had a core of young men that stepped up and learned how to lead, even when they did not think they wanted to, Rondale Durio, Zach Smith, Gene Tennison, Mike Mabry, Jerry Stewart II and the babies that year in 1996 Daquarai Pearson, Will Bowers, Sherman Thompson, Keithon Edwards.  He taught the players to respect the game and how to play it the right way.  I will forever be in his debt for teaching me these things, and being there for me as a person.  Those are the times and lessons I will appreciate forever.

I'm ready to play lots of golf.Jerry Stewart is an athelete,never seen anybody over 60 that had never picked up a golf club learn the game so quickly that regularly breaks 80 for 18 holes 2 yrs later.I've met & played golf w/some elite coaches thru our friendship incl Bayt Lee's former Dick Olin.Stewart is a meek man,he's not one to boast of his accomplishments,but quietly tends to business of being a mentor & making lifelong impressions to all he comes in contact with.I try to follow the example of the man(not the coach)that believes success comes from dedication.Straight up I know plenty of pre Stewart Dayt atheletes who would have loved to put on the Bronco uniform and played atheletics w/his leadership skills,myself incl.If you're in it for the kiddos w/o doubt=there you will find a lifelong friend.

well, I suck at golf (about 100), but I'm pretty good at drinking beer, so next time you're at Newport, let me know and I'll play 18.