Dayton @ New Caney Sat. Halloween night.

Octfeb

New Caney normally doesn't have any talent but with all the kids they got from St. Pius they can win some individual matchups this year, next year it will be the same New Caney moving forward. I thought Crosby did a poor job of covering the option play that gave Harvey so many easy catches by the boundary. We also committed three penalties when we were getting off of the field that allowed them to continue drives, take more time off of the clock and score touchdowns.

Crosby was up 7-0 when the snap went over the punter's head, Crosby almost tackles the guy while he's picking the ball back up but somehow he gets the kick off and we get a personal foul for roughing the punter when we would have had the ball at the New Caney 25 with a chance to go up 14-0. Another time we stop them going to the North endzone but get another 15 yard penalty for PI with both players hand-fighting and an uncatchable ball. On New Caney's last drive Perry rocks Ware on 4th down to get the stop but we get defensive holding in the south endzone giving them 4 more tries from the 2. Not to mention Crosby's other opportunity to go up 14-0 we snap the ball over the qb's head at the New Caney 5 then get another penalty backing us up basically out of scoring range with 4th and goal from nearly the 20.

New Caney has better players and is better coached than Dayton so they could pressure Crosby when we made mistakes, Crosby played bad against Dayton but Dayton only had 229 total yards and couldn't move the ball consistently enough to penalize Crosby for further mistakes. Trey Edwards also didn't get to play after rushing for 170 yards on Dayton the week before which took another key piece away from an already banged up backfield. New Caney is solid and might even be able to beat one of the 4 Fort Bend schools they will face in the second round but I think if we played that one again Crosby would win going away just like I feel we would with Dayton if we met up again.

If you really felt that way before the game then there's really no way you expect Dayton to beat them this week.    

I really like how you highlighted all the Crosby mistakes but failed to mention NC mistakes. NC had several key mistakes that would have blown that game wide open. On another note I feel just fine about Dayton's chances this week. I also find it ironic that just a few weeks ago you said NC would most likely finish 4th.  It doesn't really matter though win or lose I can count on you to tell me why the game ended the way it did.

Edited by bronco pride

I really like how you highlighted all the Crosby mistakes but failed to mention NC mistakes. NC had several key mistakes that would have blown that game wide open. On another note I feel just fine about Dayton's chances this week. I also find it ironic that just a few weeks ago you said NC would most likely finish 4th.  It doesn't really matter though win or lose I can count on you to tell me why the game ended the way it did.

you sure it wasn't Humble he had finishing 4th? 

That's because Crosby forced them to make their mistakes. Other teams have no effect on what Crosby does or doesn't do. You should know that.

What mistakes did they have that would've blown the game wide open? They led 4 minutes total.

What mistakes did they have that would've blown the game wide open? They led 4 minutes total.

Lets start with the other punt that was snapped over their punters head setting Crosby up for an easy score. Then Crosby muffed a punt that a NC kid tried to pick up 3 times inside the 10 and advance it. If he just falls on it NC has the ball inside the 10 which is what he should have done because you can't advance a muff. Oh yeah then a missed 22 yrd feld in the first half which is basically an extra point.

Edited by bronco pride

Lets start with the other punt that was snapped over their punters head setting Crosby up for an easy score. Then Crosby muffed a punt that a NC kid tried to pick up 3 times inside the 10 and advance it. If he just falls on it NC has the ball inside the 10 which is what he should have done because you can't advance a muff. Oh yeah then a missed 25 yd field on the first half.

Crosby was winning at that point? How do they blow the game open from there? So what you saying is that even though Crosby initially dropped it the mistake was when NC didn't fall on it. Missed FG? The NC field goal that was blocked or the Crosby field missed to win it in regulation after we had stopped them on 4th but gave them a new set of downs and an opportunity to tie with a penalty we committed? What else did you see that could've blown the game open?  

I will talk about next year after this season is over, but I will say the cupboard is not running dry at New Caney.

IDK man, I saw the freshman team and it's pretty slim pickings. They are coached well and can do the onside kick thing though. You do realize over 90% of New Caney's offense transferred in from St. Pius, right. They only returning starter NC will have left over from that group is Marte Allison.

Crosby was winning at that point? How do they blow the game open from there? So what you saying is that even though Crosby initially dropped it the mistake was when NC didn't fall on it. Missed FG? The NC field goal that was blocked or the Crosby field missed to win it in regulation after we had stopped them on 4th but gave them a new set of downs and an opportunity to tie with a penalty we committed? What else did you see that could've blown the game open?  

You ask me what mistakes NC made. You brought up the bad snap that the NC punter was roughed on but left out one that lead directly to a Crosby td. I also ask you once a punt returner muffs a punt what should the defender do. Surely you know the answer hence forth a mistake. Any way I'm done with this convo onto the game this thread is about.

Like Pride said, this game really means nothing. All in all I'm happy Crosby plays in a district strong enough where they're pushed by various teams for various reasons. All those 1 score games we played last year really prepared us for our run, even though we didn't play another close game until the 4th round once we got out of district play. I think the last two weeks have done the same for Crosby. Hopefully everybody comes out healthy from this one so we can prepare for another sweep of 22-5A.

You ask me what mistakes NC made. You brought up the bad snap that the NC punter was roughed on but left out one that lead directly to a Crosby td. I also ask you once a punt returner muffs a punt what should the defender do. Surely you know the answer hence forth a mistake. Any way I'm done with this convo onto the game this thread is about.

Cool, enjoy the rest of the season. It's going to be pretty rough for y'all after this year.

Not trying to fire anyone up from Crosby, but I think their ONLY weak point on offense is Cotton's decision making at times. Against Dayton he seemed dead set on getting the ball to Netherly even when he was well covered. We heard for several weeks leading up to the game about how many weapons Crosby had (which they do) and what a high level Cotton was playing at... I just didn't see it. No matter how many D1 offers your receiver has, you can't just throw it up and not look to anyone else. Then again... maybe coach just went super conservative and just did enough to beat Dayton...

Easy

He came out slow and turned the ball over a couple times. But he still threw 2 TD and ran one. He came up big against New Caney in the clutch throwing a 60 yard strike to send it into OT. Then throwing the game winning touchdown. I know what you mean though im still adapting to the way he plays also. Not much to be said when we are winning ball games.

He came out slow and turned the ball over a couple times. But he still threw 2 TD and ran one. He came up big against New Caney in the clutch throwing a 60 yard strike to send it into OT. Then throwing the game winning touchdown. I know what you mean though im still adapting to the way he plays also. Not much to be said when we are winning ball games.

Good post. Above all, he knows how to win. 

I don't think you are going to see a return to the "same old New Caney" after this year.  They might not be quite as good next year but they will still win a lot of football games.  Currently the JV is 9-1.  There freshman class is a little down but both of there 8th grade teams are doing real well.  New Caney doesn't get much respect because they've never had much success and haven't been able to sustain what little success they have had.  I think all that is starting to change, people better start taking New Caney seriously, I think they will be competing for a playoff spot for the next several years.

Same to you. With 16 starters leaving  Crosby will need a major rebuild. Remember your words title or bust this year.

Lol, where we differ with Dayton is that 7 of those 10 starters coming back are D1 kids. Imagine Crosby's backfield next year with Netherly, Grace and Williams with Jordan Hill and Trey Edwards to throw to on the outside. Not to mention Gray-Brooks who caught the 60 yards strike from Cotton down the sideline. We're not in the same boat as Dayton and we have better player development. We're more than fine with what we have coming back on 2100.