Atheist group threatens suit over 'angels' on memorial to beloved teacher

LumRaiderFan

That happens when God is not a part of your life.......

So high school kids holding up "White Power" at a basketball game is cool, but this is not? You were big on the constitutional rights of those high schoolers, so I assume you're also squarely in the corner of these atheists as well?

So high school kids holding up "White Power" at a basketball game is cool, but this is not? You were big on the constitutional rights of those high schoolers, so I assume you're also squarely in the corner of these atheists as well?

The first amendment clearly states that the FREE EXERCISE OF RELIGION SHALL NOT BE PROHIBITED......this is a clear prohibition of the free exercise clause of that Amendment.......

The first amendment clearly states that the FREE EXERCISE OF RELIGION SHALL NOT BE PROHIBITED......this is a clear prohibition of the free exercise clause of that Amendment.......

You've tried to use that argument before when talking about unconstitutional practices performed at schools if I'm not mistaken?

I do not see how they have a valid challenge. Apparently they have no issue with a memorial, only that religious symbols are on it. I can see where they might want to ban all memorials but it you allow them, then the people that put them up should have the right to express their beliefs. I have seen cases where a teacher tells her students to do an essay on "anything" but then will try to stop a student from speaking of God or Jesus under the belief that it violates the Constitution. I have seen were courts have upheld the student's right to submit such papers because while religion cannot be dictated at a public school, it can also not be banned. 

The school is allowing the bench on campus. I did not read where the district was funding it so no public money is involved. If a cross on public property to honor a person is unconstitutional, what are they going to do at Arlington National Cemetery with all the crosses and Star of Davids on the thousands of graves? Those are funded by taxpayer's money. 

Some religious issues in schools are unconstitutional in my opinion but I am not sure how this memorial is. 

I do not see how they have a valid challenge. Apparently they have no issue with a memorial, only that religious symbols are on it. I can see where they might want to ban all memorials but it you allow them, then the people that put them up should have the right to express their beliefs. I have seen cases where a teacher tells her students to do an essay on "anything" but then will try to stop a student from speaking of God or Jesus under the belief that it violates the Constitution. I have seen were courts have upheld the student's right to submit such papers because while religion cannot be dictated at a public school, it can also not be banned. 

The school is allowing the bench on campus. I did not read where the district was funding it so no public money is involved. If a cross on public property to honor a person is unconstitutional, what are they going to do at Arlington National Cemetery with all the crosses and Star of Davids on the thousands of graves? Those are funded by taxpayer's money. 

Some religious issues in schools are unconstitutional in my opinion but I am not sure how this memorial is. 

Great point

I didn't try.....I DID use it and stand by it.....what part of the first amendment do you not comprehend???? It's crystal clear to anyone who can read.......

I personally don't have an issue with this memorial, but I feel like I remember you attempting to use the constitution to argue some religious practices that have been ruled unconstitutional over and over again by higher courts. maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

I personally don't have an issue with this memorial, but I feel like I remember you attempting to use the constitution to argue some religious practices that have been ruled unconstitutional over and over again by higher courts. maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

That probably WAS me.....:)...the courts views on religion are  diametrically opposite of what the founders intended......