Regarding BISD

stevenash

Any business whether public or private can have a crooked person working for them. That alone has no reflection on the organization.

So far maybe half a dozen people have been indicted at BISD. Those numbers alone or almost staggering in my opinion.

Any business whether public or private can have a crooked person working for them. That alone has no reflection on the organization.

So far maybe half a dozen people have been indicted at BISD. Those numbers alone or almost staggering in my opinion.

Under normal circumstances, that is a lot for any one business.....

We were promised much more is the reason I am surprised.

Under normal circumstances, that is a lot for any one business.....

We were promised much more is the reason I am surprised.

what new politician doesn't promise more than he can actually deliver? that being said, the 6 or 7 indicted so far is a good start. hopefully their evidence is as strong on these cases as it has been on the last couple.

what really galls me is that we used to have to go to pep rallies at the beginning of every school year, and Doc Thomas would sit up there and make all of these questionable hires and pat himself on the back for doing so.

Naomi Lawrence Lee was one. Lawrence-Lee previously worked for Jefferson County as its purchasing agent, but resigned in exchange for a promise from the District Attorney's office not to prosecute her in connection with misappropriation of county property for private benefit. Dr. Thomas passed over better applicants to hire her, and talked about how great she would be for the district. Bear in mind, this is just a few months after resigning from the county to avoid criminal charges. Now if we fast forward a few years, and Naomi Lawrence-Lee is under indictment for felony theft against BISD.

Another was Patricia Lambert. Later we find out that she possessed a criminal record for extorting public funds from teachers in the New Orleans school district, unearthed accusations that she leads a massive campaign of both cheating and retaliation against her accusers. Then the accusations started here. Now of course, she's indicted for felony theft.

And of course Calvin Walker. That whole situation was a joke, and to see the arrogance with which Butch and the board would renew his contract every year, after he'd already stolen millions from us, smirking while they did it... and now of course, he's indicted for felony theft, amongst other things.

If the 7 or 8 employees that have been arrested so far are all that are indicted, so be it. you're talking about putting people in jail responsible for $10M or more (that they've found so far) in thefts from BISD. You're also changing a culture of corruption back to a culture of consequences. No longer will employees steal and scam without fear of reprisals.

No doubt there will be some employees who stole who will slip through the cracks, but hopefully the DA will be able to find more of them. But if not, it's much more important to be in place to prevent future thefts than to punish past ones in which we'll likely receive no compensation.

We have not seen the last of the charges to come, and there is likely some criminal action that won't be prosecuted. It is important to remember that a responsible prosecutor will only bring charges that he or she thinks will end in a conviction. Sometimes, they may know what is very likely to have occurred, but do not have sufficient evidence to legally "connect the dots" to meet the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt. A prosecutor, like the BISD trustees, is a steward of taxpayer money and should not be wasteful in his or her endeavors.

But to think that all of the BISD corruption/illegal activities has already been exposed is naive at best in my opinion.

Who thinks Thomas will find his way to the court house?

I will only say I have no idea why he decided to testify before the grand jury. Not saying I am the foremost expert on the subject but I would have STRONGLY advised him against this. And although we will probably never know, I have a hard time believing his counsel did not do just that.

The total number is actually 10.

I am hearing from very reliable sources there will be more crooks to be indicted in due time.

That is a huge number for one organization. I know (working in the system) that others might avoid arrest or having charges filed by turning into state witnesses to go after higher ups.

I will only say I have no idea why he decided to testify before the grand jury. Not saying I am the foremost expert on the subject but I would have STRONGLY advised him against this. And although we will probably never know, I have a hard time believing his counsel did not do just that.

Limited immunity perhaps?

That would have been a plausible explanation but no deals have been made with him (or offered either from what I am told).

it might be that after years of being able to get away with whatever he wanted, he was arrogant enough to think that he could continue to do so with nothing sticking to him. that being said, so far, everything has been bouncing off.

If the prosecutors are smart, they'll be willing to cut deals with the 10 that have been indicted so far in exchange for testimony that incriminates people further up the line. I'd ride that strategy all the way up the ladder until I could bring down the Butch himself. When he's behind bars, you'll know corruption has come to an end in BISD.